Author Topic: Any advice or clues to device random restarts?  (Read 3177 times)

el_toro

• View Profile
Any advice or clues to device random restarts?
« on: May 19, 2021, 07:28:50 pm »
Hi all,

I am not sure if this is the right place to post, but I am seeing a problem that may have something to do with CoDi.

Can any of the good folks in the forum give me some advice or insight into solving or how to mitigate this fault.

I while back I managed to crack my cover display and decided to disconnect the module from the main board, and continued to use the unit while waiting for a replacement that planet kindly agreed to send to me. About 5 months passed while using the cosmo in this state, and aside from having a clear window where once the oled was the device worked fine. With the exception of some odd behavior of the print sensor leds. Which IMO never made sense to me anyhow.

After receiving the replacement part and installing it, I am now experiencing random restarts. The addition of the display is the only variable changed in this setup. I am yet to try a new clean install but I am not confident that this will make any difference. I plan to disconnect the ribbon cable from CoDi and see what the results are.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

P.S. if any one is interested in some photos of the replacement process let me know. I have read that a cracked CoDi is a common problem for the Cosmo.

el_toro

• View Profile
Re: Any advice or clues to device random restarts?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 10:08:01 pm »
... looks like I'm on my own then  :(

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 04:13:55 pm »
While I don't have much insight to share, and my own CoDi is working (though it's buggy), I think it could be helpful for others, if you would post some pictures from the replacement process, perhaps in a separate thread, with a descriptive name, like "How to replace the CoDi [pictures]", to make it easier for anyone interested to find it.

For what it's worth, I do experience random reboots, but fairly seldom, maybe once a month or so, but I haven't thought much about whether they are related to my CoDi. Up until CoDi FW 1.1.1.14, my CoDi used to crash maybe five times a day. On 1.1.1.15 it went down to maybe three and on 1.1.1.16 it usually works for several days between crashes. When it does crash, it usually gets stuck showing either the Planet logo or nothing. Most of the times, I can just disable and re-enable the CoDi in the notifications shade, but once in a while, it just won't restart properly.

Those times, instead of waking up and showing the clock, it shows the "HELLO, I AM COSMO!" animation, as when the device is starting up, but then goes black again... Um, it just did that, right now... what a coincidence(?) Come to think about it, once that happens, the whole device has a tendency to, shortly thereafter, either reboot or hang... which it did right now... so, well, maybe there is a connection... um.

Anyway, I was going ask, if you have tried leaving the ribbon cable connected and just turned your CoDi off in the settings? If you did, would your device still randomly reboot? If it did, is it still doing that, after you disconnected the ribbon cable? It is my understanding that some people here, aren't using their CoDi at all, and if physically disconnecting it could improve overall system stability, I suppose some of them might want to know about it.

LinuxGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 12:11:37 pm »
... looks like I'm on my own then  :(
I have reboots with CoDi-Powersave activated (2x/day). As I didnt see much of an effect, I deactivated it.

Other Option (for me):
Unlock my SIM, so reboots at 2 am dont cut me off and go through unnoticed.

yowlingcat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 05:00:22 am »
You asked for advice: turn the CODI off.

I recently bought a Communicator and I have noticed numerous problems with the CODI:

First - it doesn't work, it doesn't display my contacts correctly so using it to dial is impossible. An email exchange with Planet confirmed the bug.

Secondly - it drains the battery at a ridiculous rate. It is supposed to be a secondary CPU, why it should hit the battery so badly is anyone's guess. If you turn it off, the device will last for days.

Thirdly - as you say, it seems to cause random reboots. I loaded an old program "Bootlog Uptime" which shows that it lasted an amazing 19 days without the CODI, as soon as I turned it back on and started to experiment with it, it crashed. Like you, I can't prove this, but it is a noticeable trait - with the CODI on, it reboots at random, when it's off, well it hasn't crashed on me yet.

Fourthly - it seems to register the touch of your hands if you cradle it meaning it starts doing things you didn't want it to do.

Fifthly - it doesn't have a sensor to turn itself off when you use it as a phone, so that your ear/cheek will make it do things if you touch it accidentally.

If you have a smartwatch, you don't need the CODI, you can see who is calling.

Frankly, the CODI was a nice idea that has failed in the execution. Why they are apparently doing nothing to rectify it, search me - I suppose they are on to the Astro Glide now.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 06:07:35 am by yowlingcat »

el_toro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2021, 06:02:18 am »
Oh wow, there is life out there after all. Had gave up on this forum but recently Ive been hoping for any good news on the linux os front.. Anyhow thanks for the insights, I will work on making the CoDi replacement / Removal guide as it may be of some help for the diligent users out there.

Thank you people.