Author Topic: Planet Backup - stuck at size estimation!  (Read 2161 times)

LinuxGuy

• View Profile
Planet Backup - stuck at size estimation!
« on: December 31, 2022, 10:02:27 am »
Hi there,

As stated here: https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?topic=36865.0
I will have to do a Hard Reset. Unfortunately, the PC BackUp stops at size estimation ("30% ... 1,4GB").

Any hints?

LinuxGuy

• View Profile
Re: Planet Backup - stuck at size estimation!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 08:12:39 pm »
and  doing the hard reset didnt fix the issue with the backup app <sigh>

linlo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 07:39:49 am »
Removing Bluetooth from backup list did the trick for me.

LinuxGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2023, 01:09:38 pm »
Hi Linlo

thanks for your input! Removing Bluetooth didnt help. I am allways stuck at size estimation 34% and 1,2GB.

And PC didnt respond on my email  :-\

linlo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2023, 02:36:50 pm »
I did 3 backups altogether and they were all successful, so my guess would be it's something else on your system.
Assuming you are doing full backups, I'd suggest you perform backups section by section and see which one fails (only apps, only system etc.)

The culprit is probably within system items. I vaguely remember some problems with contacts, try disabling that first.

LinuxGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2023, 03:06:50 am »
Hi
I did as you suggested. Unfortunately System and Apps have issues. Documents etc backuped fine.
But to backup my normal data is easy anyway ... so its of no use to me.

Thanks for your advice!

ZimbiX

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/ZimbiX
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2023, 12:40:04 pm »
I don't know how to fix your Planet Backup - I've never used it, and given the laughably poor software development from Planet Computers, I wouldn't have enough trust in any apps from them. imo, it's always best to root ASAP so you can use whatever backup app you want.

You could try to bisect the selection to narrow down the troublesome selections, if that's the problem. Or go one app at a time, starting with your most critical apps, if it lets you do that.

Another option as I've posted elsewhere:

You might have luck with Helium, or using ADB backup directly (which is what Helium uses). That used to be a great way to keep appdata when unlocking the bootloader, but sadly, nowadays a bunch of apps block themselves from being backed up this way.

Helium's pretty old, and the Play Store listing seems to have disappeared, unfortunately. You can get the APK from APKmirror. I haven't had to use Helium in several years, but it does at least seem to work on my Astro. The URL for getting the script you need to run on your PC is broken, but the link on the homepage takes you here. Its included ADB has a 'libncurses.so.5' error on Linux for me, but you can easily edit the script to make it use the system ADB by removing '$BASE/'. Within Helium, roughly half of my apps disallow backup, unfortunately, but it at least saves you for the ones that do allow it. I tried backing up & restoring one app, BaconReader, and the appdata did restore correctly; so Helium does seem to work still.

From an old tweet of mine, regarding root backup apps:

Quote from: ZimbiX
I'd always used the revered Titanium Backup for app backups previously, but sadly it no longer works properly due to a lack of support for split APK apps which are now a thing apparently - it just gets stuck when restoring one, with no feedback (e.g. Uber)

I ended up trying Swift Backup, which worked quite well. Since the Termux data restore didn't work using that, I did that manually easily enough by following the handy tar instructions on the wiki
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.swiftapps.swiftbackup
https://wiki.termux.com/wiki/Backing_up_Termux