Author Topic: latex  (Read 8841 times)

MarcusKracht

• View Profile
latex
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2005, 08:00:49 pm »
Error: /undefinedresult in --div--

Hi again Marcus,
I just upgraded to rc10 and encountered the same problem as you... I think the solution is to populate /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts/ with whatever your desktop machine has on it.  According to the gs.README file, you might have to "update Fontmap if necessary".  (I didn't have to.)

Of course, you may have already figured this out.    

jg
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81150\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Dear Jandr,

in fact, I have not. So I'd like to be updated about the development. So far, I use xdvi and xpdf,
both of which do excellent service. I am not sure how it works if I update to rc10. Is it worth it?
I remember rc9 having issues with cross compiling and that kpathsea had to be trimmed a little.
I vaguely remember that there was a plan that updates should not be a matter of reflashing
(is loosing the data and the installation that I have made to work). So any hints are welcome.

-- Marcus

jandr

• View Profile
    • http://bok.fas.harvard.edu/john/zaurus/
latex
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2005, 01:13:07 pm »
I'd like to be updated about the development. So far, I use xdvi and xpdf,
both of which do excellent service. I am not sure how it works if I update to rc10. Is it worth it?
I remember rc9 having issues with cross compiling and that kpathsea had to be trimmed a little.
I vaguely remember that there was a plan that updates should not be a matter of reflashing
(is loosing the data and the installation that I have made to work). So any hints are welcome.

-- Marcus
[div align=\"right\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I only left rc8 because I'd hosed my installation (which I later determined to be from using some fonts that  X didn't like).  I skipped rc9 after also having some difficulties with compiling on it, and have found rc10 to have two major improvements, one relevent to this topic & one not:

- xpdf now works out-of-the-box, with no funny library requirements;

- in rc8 some system apps (e.g. packagemanager) would silently fail if I had an SD card in the slot; that seems to be fixed.

Everything I installed under rc8, whether compiled by me or grabbed already built, seems to work fine. So for me rc10 is a minor improvement overall, but probably not worth moving to from rc8 unless you need to reinstall anyway.

I do have one issue with my new installation which is probably more due to my lack of understanding of latex than anything: whenever I use xdvi or dvips on my own latex files, I get an warning message about fonts "cmex8" and "msam8" not being found, and using cmr10 in their place.  I don't remember getting that error before but I can't figure out how to tell xdvi or dvips where those fonts are located (I do have them on the Z, copied over from my desktop tetex installation).  latex itself doesn't complain about the "missing" fonts.

cheers
jg

EDIT: I solved the missing dvi fonts problem: latex was happy with the .tfm versions but xdvi wanted .pfb files, which I downloaded from [a href=\"ftp://ftp.rge.com/pub/tex/fonts/cm/ps-type1/bakoma/pfb]here.[/url]  (Note this is different from the missing-gv fonts problem described a couple posts back.)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 03:15:35 pm by jandr »
- SL-C760 - Ambicom WiFi CF - PNY 512MB SD - Belkin 1500E IR kb - pdaXrom rc12 (2005/11) -

MarcusKracht

• View Profile
latex
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2006, 03:54:17 pm »
I have recently acquired a Zaurus C3100 and installed the new rom (beta 1).
My old latex installation I cannot get to work now. On the other hand, given
the space that I have on the harddisk, it would be no problem to compile it
onto the zaurus using the sources. I tried that and it gave me errors (there
was a problem with type compatibility). Since compiling otherwise works (I
was successful with OCaML), I am somewhat helpless to understand what
exactly is the problem (I am not a software developer). Can someone help
me? I can provide the full log if you need.  

-- Marcus

develd

• View Profile
latex
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2006, 07:03:06 pm »
Hi Marcus,

on my C3100 I have compiled tetex-3.0 nearly 6 month ago. So I can't remember the dependencies which were needed. But I have compiled it to an extra directory /usr/local/teTeX with bin-dir and texmf-dir. Maybe it's competely there.

For me it works perfectly. I'm using vi, pdflatex and xpdf. I just started xdvi to check if it works too and it started up and is quite fast. It's faster as xpdf and has no screen problems while scrolling like xpdf. Maybe I switch over to work with xdvi in the future   .

Tell me if your interested in my teTeX directory. It's 260MB because I haven't stripped any of the texmf directory. I could tgz it and make it downloadable for you anywhere.

On the other hand with your working compiler you shoul be able to compile tetex-3.0 yourself after checking out all the options from the configure script.

Greetings,
  Oliver
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 07:11:12 pm by develd »

iamphet

• View Profile
    • http://iamphet.nm.ru
latex
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2006, 01:01:02 am »
Also there is another approach: you can use Pocketworkstation and install debian TeX packages

MarcusKracht

• View Profile
latex
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2006, 12:13:10 pm »
Hi Marcus,

on my C3100 I have compiled tetex-3.0 nearly 6 month ago. So I can't remember the dependencies which were needed. But I have compiled it to an extra directory /usr/local/teTeX with bin-dir and texmf-dir. Maybe it's competely there.

For me it works perfectly. I'm using vi, pdflatex and xpdf. I just started xdvi to check if it works too and it started up and is quite fast. It's faster as xpdf and has no screen problems while scrolling like xpdf. Maybe I switch over to work with xdvi in the future   .

Tell me if your interested in my teTeX directory. It's 260MB because I haven't stripped any of the texmf directory. I could tgz it and make it downloadable for you anywhere.

On the other hand with your working compiler you shoul be able to compile tetex-3.0 yourself after checking out all the options from the configure script.

Greetings,
  Oliver
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113323\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Yes please. Indeed: xdvi is much faster than xpdf! I'd like to have the whole tree, 260MB
is not a problem. It is too bad you do not remember what you did, because I tried to com-
pile but got an error. I tried to change settings but no result so far. Maybe I have to learn
more about compiling ...

-- Marcus

MarcusKracht

• View Profile
latex
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2006, 12:08:29 pm »
HELP please!

I made some progress with compiling. But I am still not through.

(1) There is a type conflict indeed between types defined in texk/kpathsea/c-std.h
where "realloc" and others are declared as ALLOC_RETURN_TYPE, which as far as I
could make out is declared to be "void". This however created a type mismatch, so
I changed their type to "void" thus bypassing ALLOC_RETURN_TYPE. This worked.
Keep fingers crossed.

(2) Twice it complained that it could no open sedscript. I made an empty file with that
name and that worked.

(3) It is missing the command "ed". There is a file is /bin/ed on my main PC, but is
missing on the Zaurus. Can someone please provide this file or tell me where to
find it? (I am using beta 1 for C3100).

-- Marcus

develd

• View Profile
latex
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2006, 12:08:30 pm »
I have made and tar zip from the whole dir. You should place it to /usr/local and untar it. I saw no soft links to other places and my ld.so.conf does not show any entries for this package.

You can download it from http://doshome.edvings.de/tetex_C31k.tgz
It will be there for a week or two since webspace is limited but needed.

Hopefully I haven't any private tex things in this tree  

-- Oliver

MarcusKracht

• View Profile
latex
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2006, 01:03:48 pm »
I have made and tar zip from the whole dir. You should place it to /usr/local and untar it. I saw no soft links to other places and my ld.so.conf does not show any entries for this package.

You can download it from http://doshome.edvings.de/tetex_C31k.tgz
It will be there for a week or two since webspace is limited but needed.

Hopefully I haven't any private tex things in this tree   

-- Oliver
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113544\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Vielen Dank!

I have meanwhile found ed (stupid me, I didn't see it), but meanwhile had another
complaint from gsftopk.c. I reckon that this is going to take forever. It does not
seem trivial at all. Some changes must have been made that upset the compiler.

-- Marcus

MarcusKracht

• View Profile
latex
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2006, 02:39:12 pm »
This seems to work! I tried latex and xdvi and they worked. I have the tgz, if
things go wrong I can retry. You may dismount them at your end. If you do not
mind, I shall make the files available on my server together with installation
instructions (see http://kracht.humnet.ucla.edu/marcus/zaurus/zaurus-3100.html
for the progress so far).

-- Marcus

pgas

• View Profile
    • http://
latex
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2006, 03:27:42 pm »
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 03:29:37 pm by pgas »
SLC-860 cacko / senao wifi

develd

• View Profile
latex
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2006, 07:48:46 pm »
Nice to hear that it's working. There is just one own cls file in texmf-var but nothing spectacular. Just an extension to the g-brief.cls to write proper bills for according the german fiscal authorities.

Remember I haven't deleted any of the huge texmf directory so it could be shrinked by removing the ./doc and some other directories.

Working mirrors of the tgz are out there, so I will freeup my webspace.

Nice to see there are still many people out there, who like and enjoy LaTeX.

Happy TeXing,
  Oliver

radiochickenwax

• View Profile
latex
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2007, 03:04:26 am »
First off, I really appreciate that there are other TeX users out there who also enjoy the zaurus platform.

However,  tetex-3.0    seems to be missing a ipkg that works for my SL6000.  I do appreciate that the tar file in this thread exists at all, but as of right now, it's not currently available through the pdaxrom server migration.

There is another version I've noticed located  here: (Jan Poland's version) but I've got the usual problems with getting xdvi and dvipdf to work out of the box.  

So I actually went as far as compiling the source, which took a long time, and a lot of trial and error, beginning with the problems noted on Marcus Kracht's page , but eventually this worked. My main problem ended up in getting xdvi to notice the xaw toolkit in the native compiler, which was solved with the following configuration option:

Code: [Select]
(./configure --with-xdvi-x-toolkit=xaw)

I'd like to know if anyone is interested in an ipkg of this, and what suggestions there might be to go about doing it, since it's still roughly 250MB+ before compression, and this isn't quite the standard linux application.

Also, a lot of the programs included in tetex are quite out of date since Thomas Esser stopped updating it..  Maybe it might be best to try TeX Live, although that's probably even larger?
ZAURII:    sl-6000 : (temporarily) bricked pdaxrom b1   ||   sl-c3200 : yonggun/Debian-EABI
OTHERS:  htc-excalibur,  axim x5,  ipaq 4355, (still trying to find useable linux setups)
thinking about gumstix to replace/augment zaurus

Ling

• View Profile
    • http://
latex
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2007, 09:55:29 am »
Not sure who had tetex, but all of the feeds have been copied to ibiblio. If you know who had compiled it, you should be able to find it.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distri...wnload/contrib/
SL-C3200 w/ pdaXii13 5.3
SL-C860 w/ OZ GPE 3.4.1
Accessories: 4GB Microdrive, 4GB Transcend SD, Linksys WFC12 CF 802.11b, Ambicom CF Modem, Socket Bluetooth

radiochickenwax

• View Profile
latex
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2007, 02:20:09 pm »
Fprgive me if I'm wrong, but I don't think tetex is on the ibiblio server yet.  It wasn't packaged as an ipkg, but as a tar file.  What I'm interested in is packaging a working and more up to date TeX distribution.  AFAIK, tetex is much easier to build for unix than TeX live, and also much smaller.  

There is a version mentioned in my post above available from Jan Poland's page that can be used as an ipkg or as a mountable image, but this doesn't completely work for me, since all of the DVI utilities seem to be broken.  Perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

I compiled the source, and this works, but it's still out of date,  since the original maintainer stopped contributing to this distribution of TeX.  What I'm interested in is trying to maintain more current versions of these programs.
ZAURII:    sl-6000 : (temporarily) bricked pdaxrom b1   ||   sl-c3200 : yonggun/Debian-EABI
OTHERS:  htc-excalibur,  axim x5,  ipaq 4355, (still trying to find useable linux setups)
thinking about gumstix to replace/augment zaurus