Author Topic: Where to buy a C7x0?  (Read 2046 times)

twocargar

• View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/tgoyette/iblog/B1030624653/index.html
Where to buy a C7x0?
« on: July 01, 2004, 04:26:08 pm »
So I've decided to take the plunge and get either a C750 or 760.  The question is where to buy it?  I've been to conics.net, but they only sell used ones with a 3 month warranty.  K.YA Gaia Nonlocal Correlations (is this the infamous "K?") has an occasional 750 on eBay.

I don't mind buying used, but would prefer some way to add an extended warranty.  With an eBay purchase I can always add a warranty through their N.E.W. service.  I've already used this for my SL-5500 (rest in peace), so that's appealing.  They have a great service.  Anyone know of an add-on service in the US?

My last question has to do with US Customs charges.  I remember reading something about the shipper stating the item was a gift so there were no Customs fees.  Does that work?  Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

TCG
SL 5500, Sharp ROM 3.13, Netgear MA701 WiFi Card,  PNY 256MB SD card, Mac OS 10.4.x, Apple PowerBook G4, PowerMac G5 Dualie

Zaurus For A Mac User Blog

BalroG

• View Profile
Where to buy a C7x0?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 04:52:41 am »
Hi twocargar

I bought from "K" - yes, you have the right eBay store. Everything was very professionally handled, except that there was a sligt delay due to K being sick for a while, but all panned out cery nicely in the end.

I am VERY happy with my C860 and can heartily recommend K's services.

(I have no relation to him other than having bought from him!)
C860 on Default Sharp ROM(to change soon!)

sittisaks

• View Profile
Where to buy a C7x0?
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 09:22:35 pm »
I bought c860 from pricejapan.com on 2 Jul ship it to USA and got it on 6 Jul. Consider the weekend and holiday. It is pretty fast. Cost me $656 include shipping which is consider cheap. But have to do english conversion by myself which is very easy by follow the instruction on http://trisoft.de  That make me a newbie here.

dh

• View Profile
    • http://
Where to buy a C7x0?
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 09:37:28 pm »
My 860 came from "K" just before he got sick.
I found him to be very easy to deal with and he kept me up to date each step of the way. The whole process took about a week from start to finish.
No US customs duty, so he obviously marks the packages the correct way.
C860, Cacko Elena ROM
Cheers!
David

roderickv

• View Profile
Where to buy a C7x0?
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 09:11:30 pm »
I boutht my c-860 from Dynamism. They are located in the US and import the unit. The great thing about them is, they warranty your unit and handle the logistics between Sharp-Japan and them if there is a problem, but you pay extra for the translation and the warranty they offer (about $200 extra). At the time I was gun shy about doing the conversion to English myself so I brought from them. But now that I know better, I wouldn't buy it from them if I was doing it all over. I would get the cheapest price I could find and immediately convert it to the Cacko ROM which is 100% English and works great!
SL-C860 (Cacko "Elena" ROM)
SMC EZ Connect WIFI CF (smc-2642w)
Hatachi 4GB Micro Drive
SanDisk 512 SD
SanDisk 256 SD
PDair Case

RJLadd

• View Profile
Where to buy a C7x0?
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2004, 03:45:20 am »
My c860 also came from K. The price was good, and he shipped within 24 hours of my placing the order. I had some trouble with the USPS (they lost the package for a few days, and then found it again), but that's not K's fault.

I also did not pay any customs fees or duty on it. But K underinsured it (for $200). When the USPS misplaced it, I was left wondering who would bear the cost if it completely disappeared. Never got an answer from K about that.

If you are going to buy from him (and I see no major reason not to), I suggest insisting on full value insurance, even if it leads to some customs fees.

Second the recommendation for the Cacko ROM, too. I've tried pdaXrom and Opie. Both look promising, but neither is quite ready for prime time yet. Cacko is 100% English, and seems to be stable.

theKompany provides tkcROM for the 5xxx series, but there is no c760/c860 version. According to the person I spoke to there, the ROM is apparently now abandonware. They have not been able to contact the author for a few months, and don't seem interesting in providing any further support, not even to the point of finding the sources and making them available.
SL-c860

twocargar

• View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/tgoyette/iblog/B1030624653/index.html
Where to buy a C7x0?
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2004, 03:24:50 pm »
Thanks for all the great info.  In the meantime I'm going to use my wife's 5500.  She has recently converted back to using a paper & pen organizer.  She was using it mostly for PIM and Excel stuff.  Anyhew, I may buy one later.  We'll see.

Thanks again,

TCG
SL 5500, Sharp ROM 3.13, Netgear MA701 WiFi Card,  PNY 256MB SD card, Mac OS 10.4.x, Apple PowerBook G4, PowerMac G5 Dualie

Zaurus For A Mac User Blog