Author Topic: Who are you and where are you from?  (Read 34563 times)

seinfield

• View Profile
    • http://
Who are you and where are you from?
« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2005, 12:50:05 am »
Hi, I am Gilberto from Mexico.
Electronic Instrumenation Engeneer.
I think that i am the only mexican with a zaurus.
I received recently the C700 from a friend of Japan and waitng my new WIFI CF.

luka

• View Profile
    • http://www.lukasucic.iz.hr
« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2005, 08:48:36 am »
Just seen this post  i hate being late!

anyway:
Luka  /male/25
From Zagreb / Croatia / Europe

Have my own small constructing / engineering company
allso a student fo Economic sciences

in my spar time i luuuv playing with Linux ( have a dual boot XP / Debian)
i own Zaurus 5500 for about 6 months and i love it. ( Tkc rom with /home on SD)
CF PEGA WLAN card - wifi hotspots are just getting to start in zagreb  a lot of opportunities

AmbiCom Air2Net Bluetooth BT2000-CF  - Z  is pared with my 6600 nokia.

Long time PDA user - but this is my first linux powered , mostly ipaq
hoping to upgrade to c700/750 -  but it is really hard to find here
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

marshmn

• View Profile
    • http://www.mattmarsh.net/
« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2005, 09:27:11 am »
I'm Matt, 29, living in the UK near London (well near Watford to be more precise).

I don't yet have a Zaurus, though I intend on having a C860 soon, and I've been playing around with QT on Linux desktop a bit so hopefully I will create some Zaurus apps once I have one!

Matt
SL-C860 - Cacko 1.22a

http://www.mattmarsh.net/

ev1l

• View Profile
    • http://bbshuffle.blogspot.com/
« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2005, 09:42:07 am »
I don't yet have a Zaurus, though I intend on having a C860 soon, and I've been playing around with QT on Linux desktop a bit so hopefully I will create some Zaurus apps once I have one!
We really need more of you.

marshmn

• View Profile
    • http://www.mattmarsh.net/
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2005, 11:33:26 am »
We really need more of you.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68062\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I have a few ideas for apps, so maybe I'll have to hold a poll for which I work on first :-)

Matt
SL-C860 - Cacko 1.22a

http://www.mattmarsh.net/

ev1l

• View Profile
    • http://bbshuffle.blogspot.com/
« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2005, 12:24:47 pm »
I have a few ideas for apps, so maybe I'll have to hold a poll for which I work on first :-)
You can always ask for UI-design help if you need any.

I might as well introduce myself now.
I'm a 24 year old student from the Netherlands. I study CS, and I do sysop and consulting on the side (mostly webapp design and implementation).
My main areas of interest are UI and user-paradigm design.
In the Z community, I just harass Zautrix with millions of bug reports. If he doesn't hate me by now, it's a testimony to his patience. I also mod the software corner, but that's really minimal.
If anyone feels like coding a backend for the app of their dreams but really sucks at making it usable, don't hesitate to get in touch.

tg

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2005, 01:56:11 pm »
I'm 41 and also originally from Zagreb, Croatia (bok Luka). For last 20+ years I have studied and worked in US and Canada (MS in CS from University of Tennesee, Knoxville). I currently live in New Jersey (married, 2 kids) and work in a quantitative financial research in NYC (Wall Street for a large european bank where I manage a group of developers as well as do my own research - when I manage to find time). Areas I'm most interested in include machine learning applications in finance (neural networks, genetic algorithms, bayesian nonlinear forecasting). My favorite OS is OSX although I also love Linux and OpenBSD. I do most of my own development in C++ on back end, and PHP on the front end. My other big passion is photography.
As far as Zaurus toys, I have sl5500, sl860, audiovox voice/gprs card, and several 1G CF and SD cards.

saiten

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 21, 2005, 06:00:31 pm »
UK - Wiltshire - MD - Started with SL5000d, then 5500 now C760.
Best thing ever happened - Tkcrom with JavaB0ys kernel for Wireles Tools & Symbol C7xx - Cacko never even came close.
SL 5000D, SL5500 - tkc rom / C760 - proto 2.5.1 - javab0y /Spectrum24 / Dlink DCF650w / Buffalo wli-cf-s11g / Origo Wifi / Compaq B21 Cf Modem / EagleTec CF 10-base ethernet / Various SD/MMC / Socket Bluetooth / VW Golf GTIT (debian integrated supercharger - honest) ;-) PPC2003.net with TomTom Nav 5 - TomTom is blinding GPS s/w - sorry but nothing on o/s comes close to TomTom (wish it did).

CCMWhite

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 21, 2005, 06:59:43 pm »
I'm Chris from Jefferson City, Missouri, USA.

At work, I develop in-house IBM iSeries ("AS/400") applications, mostly insurance and accounting.  At home, I use OSX and Linux.

I have an SL-5500 with all kinds of stuff.

mikew

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2005, 05:03:34 am »
I’m Mike (Mikew) from Doncaster, England, at 61 I’m probably the oldest person to post so far.

I work as an IT Manager in the NHS (National Health Service) with 70+ Intel servers running mostly M$ software, all the really important work is done on a fault tolerant cluster of 4 x HP AlphaServers running VMS with duplicated databases. Significant changes to when I first started in IT when I worked on a number of huge ICL mainframes using the George operating system with 100MB disk drives 10 times larger than today’s PC, when the PC ran CP/M rather than Windows or even DOS and the main programming languages were COBOL & Fortran. Still like the text interface primarily to write software in a programming language called Mumps which I still use on my Psion with the help of the DOS emulator.

My home computing started with an Acorn Atom which eventually became the BBC microcomputer, still have Acorn Archimedes, Psion 3, 5mx & Netbook. Primary portable device is now my Zaurus C760 although I have never quite managed to move completely away from the Psion dues to lack of suitable software, no DOS emulator, bank account or something to keep track of staff annual leave/absence.

My main hobby for 20 years was teaching & coaching swimmers, these days I spend most of my spare time helping out a growing group who need support & coaching to get the most out of their PC, age range from my 3 year old grandson who’s favourite saying is ‘I know how to do it’ as he elbows me out of the way to someone who purchased his first PC in his 80s.
C3200, C760 Cacko 1.23 ROM, 1gb SD, 1gb CF, WiFi, Imate Jasjar & Psion Netbook

orange

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2005, 09:03:45 am »
hi my name is Stefan age 22 I life in Austria/Vienna (for those of you who dont know that small country next to Germany, and we got no Kangaroos here   )

I work as a Sysadmin but most of the day lets say "Managers-Toy-Admin" in the construction industry (Mostly M$ Stuff but we want to move forward to Linux in the next years)

I played with Computers since I was around 6 Years but figured out quite late that this is what I want to do in the future (at around 17)

Since I started workin I tested a lot of PDAs (good thing I didn't have to pay for them all I only bought the Z's on my own  ) here is my History: Psion 3c, Psion Revo, Compaq Ipaq 3630, HP Ipaq 3870, Sony Clie N700C, Clie NR70V, Handspring Treo 270, SonyEricsson P800, Zaurus SL-C700, Sony Clie TH55, MDA2, and then finaly come back to the Z with my C3000 cuz the Z is simply the best PDA I ever used
SL-C3000 / Cacko 3kb1
512MB SD/CF Kingston
DLink DCF-660W W-LAN
Socket Ethernet
Nokia DTL-1 Bluetooth
Pretec CF 56k Modem
I DON'T SYNC ;-)

fastscirocco

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2005, 11:29:20 pm »
LEt's see where to start....

My name is Chris, I'm a 38 year old financial advisor living in Kalamazoo, Michigan USA.

Yes there really is a Kalamazoo!

I grew up with computers, first one was an old Ohio Scientific, it had DUAL 5 1/4 floppy drives...I know you're jealous!

Anyway, currently own 3 desktop computers (file server, mine and one for da wife) a Dell Inspiron 8100, a visor deluxe and a visor prism.

It's time to graduate from the Prism to a C3000! I've been reading alot here and posting a little trying to learn and get off the fence and order my C3000 from pricejapan.

Looks like I'm the only one from Michigan....I'm SURE I'm the only financial advisor, I don't know any other financial advisors that are geeks.

Just finished remodeling our house, I swear I threw away most of the origina l house! My other hobbies include photography and cars. But that's it for now!

Chris
Future Z owner

euroclie

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2005, 02:58:06 am »
Impressive thread so far! Given that some (if not most) Zaurus are sold in Japan only, it's not that surprising to see that people here are passionate about their Z, and come from nearly all over the planet!

OK, my turn to introduce myself...

Patrick, 34, married with two kids, and a job which (almost) doesn't involve computers (airline pilot), and live in the south-west of France (Europe).

I've discovered computers at the age of 11 and I've been hooked up since that time, but I somehow managed to make it a leisure only and not my primary job! I've owned a Sinclair ZX81, Amstrad CPC 464, Amiga 500, and then a couple of desktop and laptop PCs. I've been "playing" with Linux since the era where you needed 50 floppies to install the first distribs (back when there was only Slackware/SLS, with version numbers in the 0.92 and such, and CDs were not very common), but never actually "worked" with it - because computers are only a hobby for me!

As far as PDA are concerned, I've owned a Psion 3a, Psion 3c, Palm V, Sony Clie S500C, Sony Clie N700C (both of them were Japanese devices), Sony Clie NX70V (US model, this time), Tungsten T (as a backup/test unit and to use with my Garmin GPS in the car), Handspring Treo 600 (great smartphone, btw), and now a SL-C3000 Zaurus purchased last month.

I've been running a Clie-centered website in the past, and will try to contribute to the Zaurus community with a few Zaurus articles (I write articles in a French PDA website), howtos and docs translations.
If I can manage to install the necessary tools, I'd like also to write a few Qt apps for the Zaurus, but I'd need a Zaurus-based chaintool (which already exist, albeit in a "work in progress" state as far as I could see), and a good "Getting started with Qt programming" book (I've mostly written (simple) PalmOS or C++Builder apps so far...)
My first goal is to write a simple UI to be able to use my GSM/GPRS CF card with the Zaurus (don't feel like using minicom all the time to handle voice calls).
Patrick

sherna90

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 23, 2005, 12:58:30 pm »
Sergio from Santiago,Chile. I have a master in computer science and i work as support engineer (IT) in a financial institution.
I own a 5500 Z with OZ 3.5.2 and a 56K modem (which i´m not currently using).  Primarly i use the Z for doing network stuff (VNC, web server, SSH, etc..) with my Fedora Core 2 Box, but i´m planning to do more Java related stuff (JDBC, RMI,etc).

Sergio

jim-in-baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 23, 2005, 08:11:28 pm »
Check the member name for location, USA of course.

I started life in pdp land, graduated to the Plato project (Cyber 760, I think),  considereed owning a VAX at one point, own various Macs, PCs, SGIs,... oh yeah, and a zaurus 5500.  These days, I try to stick with perl/Tk, although I could be convinced to work with something like Qt.  I will hopefully be returning to grad school to get a PhD in neuroscience.  

In the mean time, I'm learning to love the dim side (M$) and windows CE.  Actually, I think how nice embedded linux would run on everything.  We shall see.  It's only a matter of time before some vendor "gets" PDAs + linux + upgrade path.  Too bad it's not going to be apple or sharp.

I came up with a really cool idea for rapid multi-character recognition across latin & non-latin character sets.  But, I could never implement it because I couldn't find which library/routines/whatever on my zaurus provide this service.  Anyone want to volunteer that special knowledge?

-Jim