Author Topic: x.11 rom, can it also run QT stuff.  (Read 4795 times)

zbones

• View Profile
x.11 rom, can it also run QT stuff.
« on: December 10, 2003, 03:03:10 pm »
I am now almost certain I will get an 860, but have a few questions.

1) will the x11 rom appear for the c860, how long? (rough guess will do)

2) can I still run qt applications, I can re-compile them ok, but to re-write them all would take ages.

3) do the Hancom apps work?

4) do the sharp pims or replacements work?

5) I guess what I\'m trying to ask, is this :- is the x11 rom a total replacement to the sharp rom, or a bolt on, leaving the sharp rom there as well?

6) dare I mention syncing? ahh I said the word!!!

I will now have to go into the forest and cut down the largest tree with.....

A Herring!!!

Sorry, watched too much Monty Python I guess.

Peter.
Zaurus cl760, cacko QT rom. Zaurus sl5500 with TKCrom 1.0.
512mb Kingston cf card, 256mb Sandisk sd card, Lexar 256mb sd card.
Bluemonkey bluetooth card <-> Sony Ericsson k700i for gprs.
Buffalo WLI-CF-S11G wifi card. Haicom 303 mmf gps cf/seral card.

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003, 03:12:56 pm »
I\'m pretty sure that the ROM completely overwrites the old ROM and so there is no qt desktop for qt apps to run on.  If you want apps on X11 it will have to be compiled for the X11 gui.  This should be easier as most graphical linux apps are for x11.

I am now almost certain I will get an 860, but have a few questions.

1) will the x11 rom appear for the c860, how long? (rough guess will do)

2) can I still run qt applications, I can re-compile them ok, but to re-write them all would take ages.

3) do the Hancom apps work?

4) do the sharp pims or replacements work?

5) I guess what I\'m trying to ask, is this :- is the x11 rom a total replacement to the sharp rom, or a bolt on, leaving the sharp rom there as well?

6) dare I mention syncing? ahh I said the word!!!

I will now have to go into the forest and cut down the largest tree with.....

A Herring!!!

Sorry, watched too much Monty Python I guess.

Peter.

wbs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2003, 03:18:08 pm »
Additionally, the X11 ROM should be a breeze to install on the 860 since there are no apparent/significant hardware changes from the 760. The most it could need is a little modification to the installation script. If Sash doesn\'t release an updated script in enough time then you could do it yourself; even though the script is encrypted, there is a little program available which will allow you to decrypt and (re)encrypt the script after you\'ve modified it appropriately.

omin0us

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 03:38:33 pm »
We will have a new install script soon. Sash is editing it to include the 860. Also, yes, this Is a complete New rom. not an overlay to the sharp rom. It is completely X11, not Qtopia. We do have some PIMs in the works though.
pdaXrom Developer team member - http://www.pdaxrom.org
c760/X11 based ROM, sl-5500/OZ 3.3.5
Ambicom WL1100C-1 WiFi card, Targus CF 56k Modem.
Ericsson T610 phone. (still need a BT card though)
FreeBSD 4.8/Slackware 9.1

zbones

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2003, 03:43:57 pm »
wbs,
That\'s what I thought.

I am a bit disapointed about the qt stuff. I have grown to love it after owning an sl5500.

I was hoping it would be like the debian thing that was released for the c700.

so the choice is x11 with loads of neat apps not availible with the standard zaurus, but would probably be bloated and slow as they were written for bigger/faster machines.

or

qt, lots of apps I know, small and compact and run fast on a 5500 so should scream along nicely, useable pims and syncing.

The killer app for me is gps, and I use qpegps all the time (qt based).

gpsdrive is a gtk2 app, could that be compiled for the x11 rom?
mind you it is dog slow on a pentium2 650.

I guess I could always keept the 5500 for gps/pims only. but then I would have to take two zauri (what is the plural of zaurus anyway?) to work with me.

Well I guess my pockets would be a bit emptier after buying the c860 so there may be room  :wink:

Peter
Zaurus cl760, cacko QT rom. Zaurus sl5500 with TKCrom 1.0.
512mb Kingston cf card, 256mb Sandisk sd card, Lexar 256mb sd card.
Bluemonkey bluetooth card <-> Sony Ericsson k700i for gprs.
Buffalo WLI-CF-S11G wifi card. Haicom 303 mmf gps cf/seral card.

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2003, 04:15:27 pm »
We do have some PIMs in the works though.

If so I hope you make then syncable with Intellisync so Outlook or other desktop is available, otherwise the PIMs\' value will decrease.  Syncing is a critical piece.

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2003, 09:35:11 pm »
How\'s the response time of apps running on the X11 ROM like?  Comparable to qt?

maslovsky

• View Profile
    • http://my-zaurus.narod.ru
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2003, 05:08:09 am »
We will have a new install script soon. Sash is editing it to include the 860. Also, yes, this Is a complete New rom. not an overlay to the sharp rom. It is completely X11, not Qtopia. We do have some PIMs in the works though.

Actualy it may be possible to run Qtopia applications under X11 ROM. What is needed is to rebuild framebuffer server emulator for X11 ROM. After that most of QT applications should run fine...

I already suggested that to sash, it\'s only a matter of time and resources...

TimW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2003, 05:19:16 am »
Isn\'t it possible to use QT/X11? Converting Qtopia apps to QT isn\'t too difficult and it may even be possible to compile Qtopia against QT/X11 instead of QT/embedded and run Qtopia apps (almost) unchanged. You\'d probably need a recompile to link to libqt rather than libqte (or maybe a symlink will work so avoiding the recompile - I\'m not sure how compatible they are).

IANAE so don\'t get your hopes up.

nilch

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2003, 10:37:09 am »
With my limited knowledge, I think Qtopia apps can be recompiled for QT/X11 as TimW pointed. After all QT apps do run under X11, so this should be workable.

In fcat if the speeds of X11 are acceptable and good, then this should prove to be a beter platform that just Qtopia.
But again I guess Qtopia was designed to overcome the memory/speed issues that X11 had originally. So maybe its like going back to square one.
New no more-C1000 / 5000D (sold my 6000 and 750) | Cacko ROM 1.23 on C1000 | 256 MB CF | 2GB PNY SD card | Socket Networker WiFi CF Card | USB Host cable from StreamlineCPUS | Mini Microphone (for voice recording) |

VeeDubb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2003, 12:50:59 am »
I think this is definately another case of not realizing the full potential of a full x11 rom.  Because it is a fully x11 rom with a reasonably modern kernal, you don\'t need any of that software.  You can ditch hancom for a REAL office program like ABI or even OpenOffice.org.

You don\'t need the stripped down and lame sharp pim apps, you can instal your choice of a miriad of different pim programs intended for desktop linux, that range in features from simpler than the sharp rom, to so in depth, the Z probalbly doesn\'t have the pwoer to handle them.

And as for syncing, it couldn\'t be easier.  Set up an Rsync server on your linux desktop running the same pim apps and have your home directroy sync up.  Not only will it sync your contact and personal files, but if install the same browser like mozilla on your desktop and you Z, it will even sync up you favorites, history and prefernces.  In fact, if you set it up right, you can have it selectively sync the settings of any app that is installed on both systems, and you can do all this with freely available software if you are running a linuix desktop.

I tell you what, if I do manage to get the money for a new 860, I will sure as heck be usig this rom and I won\'t give qtopia apps a second thought.

TimW

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2003, 05:20:05 am »
You can ditch hancom for a REAL office program like ABI or even OpenOffice.org.

Well maybe not OpenOffice.org 8^) - I can\'t run that on my laptop.

But otherwise I agree - I\'m tempted to buy an 860 just so I can run this ROM. I\'d probably add QT/X11 but I wouldn\'t miss Qtopia.

VeeDubb

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2003, 06:16:47 am »
Yeah, I suppose OOo is a bit optimistic, but you never know....