Author Topic: Does the SL-5500 already wear protective foil?  (Read 3622 times)

Fraggy

• View Profile
    • http://jeanmarc.pixxelz.com
Does the SL-5500 already wear protective foil?
« on: July 23, 2004, 11:53:05 am »
Hi there,

I got two silly newbie question about protective foil (for the screen):

First: does the SL-5500 already "wear" one when it comes right out of the box?

And second question (it's my first PDA, so I'm a total newbie to this!): is the protective foil really necessary? Or is it just an extra measure to protect the screen.

(That is: it wouldn't hurt to use the stylus on the screen without protection, for say a week or so, would it?)

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2004, 11:54:50 am by Fraggy »
----------------------------------------------------
Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 / Crow - Cacko ROM
512Mb Sandisk SD, 512Mb Sandisk CF, 128Mb Expansys CF, 4 in 1 Card reader
Linksys WCF12 Wireless CompactFlash Card
Serialo ZThinCable USB
Socket Mobile Power Pack
Garmin eTrex Legend GPS
Damn expensive toys, but worth every dime :)

Pyrates

• View Profile
    • http://www.pipsfrank.de
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 12:17:54 pm »
I don't know if it comes with one (got mine used), but I'd definitely recommend one. Scratching is sooo easy...

Cheers
Philipp
\" ... and the Vogon will do things to you that you wish you\'d never been born, or, if you\'re a clearer minded thinker, that the Vogon had never been born.\"

kbranch

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 12:35:56 pm »
And second question (it's my first PDA, so I'm a total newbie to this!): is the protective foil really necessary? Or is it just an extra measure to protect the screen.
It all depends on how careful you are.  I had a screen protector on my C700 from the day I got it to the day I sold it (about 8 months), but not even the protector had a scratch on it.  On the other hand, I've known people who can make a screen look like it's been sandblasted in that same amount of time.

(That is: it wouldn't hurt to use the stylus on the screen without protection, for say a week or so, would it?)
If you get something like dust or sand between the stylus and the screen it'll probably scratch, but I think you should be fine for a week.
Open source RTS.  It's still in the very early stages, so testers are quite welcome.

Fraggy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004, 01:32:24 pm »
OK, thanks for the usefull answers already...

Problem now is: how do I find out / see if my Zaurus is already wearing one?
It would be a bit silly to put a second one on top of the other (if already present), hehehe (although that would be better than sandblasting the thing. lol.
Serialo ZThinCable USB
Socket Mobile Power Pack
Garmin eTrex Legend GPS

padishah_emperor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004, 01:46:57 pm »
foil?

tin foil?

I'm confused

I can send you some tin foil if you want, it will stop the pixels from falling off  
Left Linux and Linux PDAs... sorry, got boring.  Switched to Mac.

Fraggy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2004, 01:50:50 pm »
Perhaps that would be needed if trying to install WinCE (the tin foil)      
Serialo ZThinCable USB
Socket Mobile Power Pack
Garmin eTrex Legend GPS

BD iiiiii

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2004, 01:52:46 pm »
Perhaps "protective film" rather than "foil"?
Tim F - Hayesville, NC
-------------------------
SL-5500

padishah_emperor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2004, 01:54:28 pm »
mmh, I think you should varnish your screen. That would keep the binary from melting and the pixels from fading...

..you are all quite, quite mad...      

padishah_emperor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2004, 01:56:50 pm »
Perhaps "protective film" rather than "foil"?
aah, a language thing...

Just as well, I'm have a real hard job squeezing tin foil into the LCD...

It's too hot here today, I think I'm loosing it again...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2004, 01:58:20 pm by padishah_emperor »

V-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2004, 03:02:01 pm »
I always use a screen protector.  My Z is too valuable of a tool to be needlessly exposed to potential damage.  Run, don't walk, to the nearest office or computer supply store and at least get an inexpensive one.  Then take your time to select the one with the right properties (anti-glare, feel, ease of application, etc) for you.

Congratulations on your joining the Z community.
SL5500 w/Sharp ROM 3.10
Netgear MA701 WiFi
Sharp  CE-AG06 Camera Card
Various memory cards
Various homemade power/battery packs
HP 2215 iPAQ

Fraggy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2004, 10:55:36 pm »
Oops, indeed a language question...

I guess the word foil is ethymologically very related to the Dutch word "folie", which is used for "thin layer", although in Dutch we also do use the word film, and "folie" (foil) is more reserved for aluminium foil   whereas the word "film" is more specifically for thin layers, so go figure  even in Dutch I would have made the same mistake  

Yeah, I'm Dutch... sort of...

Indeed FILM is the word I meant...

Uhmmm... Come to think of it, varnishing doesn't sound like a bad idea, but then again, we'll get a lot of reflections I think  

Thanks for welcoming me, V-Man, indeed becoming the owner of a Zaurus is a special special event   and eh, I do not need to run, 'cause I got myself the Zaurus as a "Value Pack", not only cheaper but also came with a leather case, a 128Mb CF card, 2 "films" and a "film-removal" / cleaning set... Now I have to grab even deeper in my wallet for a Linksys WCF12 and a Linksys WAP11 (to plug the Z into my LAN and turn the Z into a Tricorder, so I can start walking around like capt. Picard and control my Starship Enterprise from the palm of my hand, and beaming files from/to the internet...
Serialo ZThinCable USB
Socket Mobile Power Pack
Garmin eTrex Legend GPS

BD iiiiii

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2004, 12:54:20 am »
Not sure if the original question was ever answered. Does a new SL-5500 come with a screen protector? My 5500 has yet to arrive, so would like to know (65 miles to the nearest shopping area!   Should mail-order now if I'm gonna need one.)

Thanks.
Tim F - Hayesville, NC
SL-5500

waterzap

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2004, 08:07:59 am »
Most likely not.

If it is new, it probably has some kind of plastic over the screen (like most electronic gadgets) But this is more part of the packaging, not a real screen protector.

Order the screen protectors, they are not that expensive (in relation to a new screen), and you can replace them every few months if they get dirty or scratched.
SL-5600 PXA-255 Sharp ROM 1.32
SL-C750 Cacko Qtopia 1.21
Sandisk 128MB SD, Sandisk 256MB CF
Pretec 56K CompactModem
Linksys Wireless CF Card
Sharp Digital Camera Card

padishah_emperor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2004, 10:24:46 am »
Oops, indeed a language question...

I guess the word foil is ethymologically very related to the Dutch word "folie", which is used for "thin layer", although in Dutch we also do use the word film, and "folie" (foil) is more reserved for aluminium foil   whereas the word "film" is more specifically for thin layers, so go figure  even in Dutch I would have made the same mistake  

Yeah, I'm Dutch... sort of...

Indeed FILM is the word I meant...

Uhmmm... Come to think of it, varnishing doesn't sound like a bad idea, but then again, we'll get a lot of reflections I think  

Thanks for welcoming me, V-Man, indeed becoming the owner of a Zaurus is a special special event   and eh, I do not need to run, 'cause I got myself the Zaurus as a "Value Pack", not only cheaper but also came with a leather case, a 128Mb CF card, 2 "films" and a "film-removal" / cleaning set... Now I have to grab even deeper in my wallet for a Linksys WCF12 and a Linksys WAP11 (to plug the Z into my LAN and turn the Z into a Tricorder, so I can start walking around like capt. Picard and control my Starship Enterprise from the palm of my hand, and beaming files from/to the internet...
LOL!
I had a 5500 until spring when I got a 860, the 5500 really does feel a bit like something from Star Trek doesn't it? Especially when you flip the screen cover open and pull down the keyboard - see the the reactions and 'wow's from others, it's a nice ego-boosting experience  

May I also welcome you into the Z family, I take off my cap and bow like a gentleman before thee  

You'll find much discussion here about screen protectors, I never bothered with any of my Z's, but it would be wise to use them, I do not know if the conscensus has changed but I think everyone pretty much agreed to avoid the sticky types, someone smashed his screen trying to remove one, the touchscreen is quite delicate.

I may get one for my 860 this month from ShirtPocket.

-Francis

Fraggy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2004, 12:25:39 am »
LOL!
I had a 5500 until spring when I got a 860, the 5500 really does feel a bit like something from Star Trek doesn't it? Especially when you flip the screen cover open and pull down the keyboard - see the the reactions and 'wow's from others, it's a nice ego-boosting experience
True that it is nice for the ego, but also nice to promote Linux and to get some money in your pockets too:
Good impressions with new clients are important (I have my own webdesign company): when I'd invite a potential client to my house for a dinner and walk around with a "tricorder" and I show him a "webpage" that streams LIVE TV (datastream from the TV card that I have in the PC of my sleeping room) then the WOW factor also helps in aquiring projects that otherwise would not be trusted to you

We more or less already know that "everything is possible", but to actually see it happen before your very eyes does have a strong impact... I was amazed the first time I streamed video from the TV card of my workstation to my (old & not wireless) Laptop... (That was using windows, so now I've got to find software that does the same for Linux/Zaurus)

Now the fact that the Zaurus is so much smaller and totally wireless will make the same (not so new) technology look brand new and even more Star Trek! Videoconferencing is another one of those wow-applications...

Scott me up, Beamie!  
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 12:29:39 am by Fraggy »
Serialo ZThinCable USB
Socket Mobile Power Pack
Garmin eTrex Legend GPS