Author Topic: Great system! Will there be any PIM functionallity?  (Read 3759 times)

Anonymous

Great system! Will there be any PIM functionallity?
« on: December 16, 2003, 03:21:55 am »
Hi guyz,

Cacko\'s doing a gret work... But I allwayz thought that first thing to come with embedded systems should be a PIM applications....

Any plans in the near future?

Regards,
 DnK

VeeDubb

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2003, 04:19:33 am »
I think they are working on something, but what\'s the point?  There\'s dozens if not hundreds of PIM programs for desktop linux and virtualy all of them can be comiled for the Z with X11.

Admitedly, some would be easier to compile than others, but any \"should\" be possible.

go to http://www.linux.org and look for software there, then use the developemnt kit from cacko to cross compile.  Then you can sysnc it with your linux desktop too.

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2003, 07:20:17 am »
Yeah... it makes sense.... but did someone using any of available PIM managers with Cacko/X11 ROM? I tried to build some but mostly them fails... some of them are written for KDE.... others just fails to build...

jerrybme

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2003, 08:05:49 am »
My understanding is that when they officially release this ROM it will include a PIM. Remember this is still a beta release. A kick-ass beta, but still a work in progress. The reason for all of the gnome libraries in the feed are to support the PIM app they are planning on releasing. Be patient...
SL-C3100
Angstrom-GPE
Lexar SD 1 GB
PQI 2GB CF
Ambicom WL1100 CF

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2003, 12:29:44 pm »
I think they are working on something, but what\'s the point? There\'s dozens if not hundreds of PIM programs for desktop linux and virtualy all of them can be comiled for the Z with X11.  

This is not completely true.  PIM has conotations of managing contacts, email, appointments, etc, but ALSO the ability to sync with a desktop application.  In particular Outlook, Notes, etc.  So I would not agree there are alot of PIM applications available on Linux that include syncing to the more commonly used desktop information managers.

If Cacko can sync to Outlook as well as Sharp and other PDAs (Palm, PocketPC), then he will have an absolute winner.  I am holding off from the X11 ROM (as much as I would love to play with it) because I have a very strict need to use it for PIM apps with syncing to Outlook (its what work uses).

Again this is in the eye of the beholder, however I assume from reading the other posts that syncing to Outlook, etc, is a high priority for many Zaurus users.

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2003, 12:55:59 pm »
Yep...

you\'re right... just restored an original rom... because i really need a to-do and contacts manager...

I hope the X11rom will get a PIM toolset soon. because i do like it...

offroadgeek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://www.oesf.org
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2003, 01:17:07 pm »
This is not completely true.  PIM has conotations of managing contacts, email, appointments, etc, but ALSO the ability to sync with a desktop application.  In particular Outlook, Notes, etc.  So I would not agree there are alot of PIM applications available on Linux that include syncing to the more commonly used desktop information managers.

If Cacko can sync to Outlook as well as Sharp and other PDAs (Palm, PocketPC), then he will have an absolute winner.  I am holding off from the X11 ROM (as much as I would love to play with it) because I have a very strict need to use it for PIM apps with syncing to Outlook (its what work uses).

Again this is in the eye of the beholder, however I assume from reading the other posts that syncing to Outlook, etc, is a high priority for many Zaurus users.

I agree with you completely...  my work also uses exchange, so I *do* need connectivity to my pim data with outlook.  I know many people want linux connectivy and syncing, and I think that\'s great, I just happen to work in an environment where we use exchange/outlook.

I\'ve been *playing* with the x11 rom, and I think it\'s the best thing since sliced bread, but I fear that I will be forced to go back to the cacko (sharp/qt based) rom before long.   :cry:  My only other option would be to use my 5500 to sync with my Outlook at work, but then I would need to carry around two Zs... and that\'s just not fun.

On the whole, I\'m very excited about the opportunities I see with the x11 rom, but I am hoping that there will someday be connectivity with true PIMs and Outlook.
Search the OESF Wiki
C1000 w/Cacko 1.23 beta (from Streamline) / 760 pdaxrom rc9 / 6000L (thanks Santa's elf!) / 5500 - OZ 3.3.5 / SIMpad SL4
1GB, 256mb SanDisk CF / 2x 1GB, 512mb, 256mb, 128mb SanDisk SD
Ambicom WL100C-CF wifi / Socket 56k CF modem / AmbiCom BT2000-CF (x2)
Pocketop keyboard, Piel Frama case (1000 & 5500), PDAir case (760 & 1000)
sip:536093@fwd.pulver.com
| OESF | ELSI | Zaurus User Group | ZaurusThemes |

nilch

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2003, 01:59:49 pm »
not having a C7xx (I am still on a 5000d), I can only envie you guys who are having this opp to tru the X11. Just siutting on the sidelines I can feel the excitement that this ROM is generating, I wonder what it must feel to actually see a X11 GUI on the C7xx.

Just to whet my itch about this ROM, does it actually resize the windows to fit the Zaurus 3.7 screen, or do you have to scroll like mad to see the whole window ? And if a Linux X11 app is recompiled, will it not have to be recoded to make adjustments for screen width and height ?

Also after reading the posts about the right-click thing, couldnt the ROM be modified to make the input and click and right-click methods the same as the Qtopia interface (thats to Sash) ?

And if not Outlook, at least not the PIM\'s (whatever is integarted into it) will be able to sych with Korganiser i believe. But Outlook is important for all the corporate environments and no wonder thats the reason Sharp decided to ditch Linux synching for Windows instead.

God how I would love to have a C7xx with X11 on it and see the wonders that Cacko and Sash are doing on it...
that makes me think, anybody going to Linuxworld who has a C7xx and pleeeeease carry X11 on it for demo purposes to these lesser souls without any C7xx\'s ???
New no more-C1000 / 5000D (sold my 6000 and 750) | Cacko ROM 1.23 on C1000 | 256 MB CF | 2GB PNY SD card | Socket Networker WiFi CF Card | USB Host cable from StreamlineCPUS | Mini Microphone (for voice recording) |

VeeDubb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2003, 02:09:12 pm »
I don\'t know about syncing with Windows, I don\'t use windows anymore, but With an X11 Rom, syncing with any desktop linux app for linux should be a breeze.  Just set up an Rsync server.

If you want to sync with outlook, then I\'m afraid you all might be right, and will at best, have to wait untill they release something.

As for things not compiling, tihs is almost certainly a problem with unmet dependecies.  Sadly this is going to be a problem for this rom for a long time.  Check all the dependencies for what you are trying to make and make all of them manualy first.  It is possible.

VeeDubb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2003, 02:11:17 pm »
WHat I would like to see is included i this ROM, and I don\'t know how much is there yet, is the LSB (though that might be WAY too big for the ROM)  That alone would fix most dependency problems

Laze

• View Profile
    • http://www.pdaXrom.org
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2003, 03:10:42 pm »
Sash and I have talked about a Windows/Office sync solution and have come up with one. Wait and see ;-)
C760 running pdaXrom lastest ;-)
SL5500 Running Cacko Qtopia
512 MB SD Card, 128 MB CF Card, Prism2 CF Wlan.

Always visit http://www.pdaXrom.org for latest news.

offroadgeek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://www.oesf.org
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2003, 03:10:56 pm »
not having a C7xx (I am still on a 5000d), I can only envie you guys who are having this opp to tru the X11. Just siutting on the sidelines I can feel the excitement that this ROM is generating, I wonder what it must feel to actually see a X11 GUI on the C7xx.

Just to whet my itch about this ROM, does it actually resize the windows to fit the Zaurus 3.7 screen, or do you have to scroll like mad to see the whole window ? And if a Linux X11 app is recompiled, will it not have to be recoded to make adjustments for screen width and height ?

I absolutely love seeing x11 and the apps run on my 760... tuxpuck for example has a great (IMO) splash screen which just shows how nice the vga screen is.  

Regarding the apps re-sizing... some of them I\'ve found (sylpheed for example) will size themselves just a little bit larger than the screen... but I just use the keyboard shortcuts to maximize the app (Shift+Alt+0).  Most of the games however seem to automatically maximize to the 640x480 screen...
Search the OESF Wiki
C1000 w/Cacko 1.23 beta (from Streamline) / 760 pdaxrom rc9 / 6000L (thanks Santa's elf!) / 5500 - OZ 3.3.5 / SIMpad SL4
1GB, 256mb SanDisk CF / 2x 1GB, 512mb, 256mb, 128mb SanDisk SD
Ambicom WL100C-CF wifi / Socket 56k CF modem / AmbiCom BT2000-CF (x2)
Pocketop keyboard, Piel Frama case (1000 & 5500), PDAir case (760 & 1000)
sip:536093@fwd.pulver.com
| OESF | ELSI | Zaurus User Group | ZaurusThemes |

ScottYelich

• View Profile
    • http://www.zaurususergroup.com/modules.php?opmodload&namephpWiki&filei
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2003, 04:54:44 pm »
I may be way offbase here ... but would it be possible to make the x11 rom be able to take
advantage of \"apt-get\" like the zdebian?  If so, that would probably make this the
defacto ROM.... period.

Scott
ps: even if it required a chroot to CF or SD ...

Anonymous

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2003, 02:50:11 pm »
apt-get is doable, but someone needs to maintain the packages.  Thats where things get kinda ugly.  Its alot of work.