Author Topic: Latest rumour on next model  (Read 24507 times)

kopsis

• View Profile
    • http://kopsisengineering.com
Latest rumour on next model
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2004, 07:59:01 am »
A couple thoughts on some of the points folks have been raising:

Built in HD uses too much power - not necessarily. I have a 4GB Hitachi drive that I keep in the CF slot of my 760 most of the time (I only take it out to use WiFi or Bluetooth) and it has no noticeable impact on battery life unless I use it extensively (playing music or video). CF hard drives have an excellent power saving mode and spin down completely when not being accessed. This works much better than power saving on a standard hard drive because the tiny platter takes very little power and time to spin back up. Combined with the fact that Linux is pretty good at keeping the right stuff cached means that CF disks really work well in the Zaurus without a big battery impact.

Should have had built in wireless - this is a device designed for the Japanese market. If I'm not mistaken, the popular mode of on-the-go internet access there is via DoCoMo's mobile phone network. I don't think there are many Bluetooth enabled DoCoMo phones so built in Bluetooth doesn't make sense. Likewise, market research I've seen shows WiFi for home networking is less prevalent in Japan, so no justification for built in 802.11.

I don't see the C3000 replacing many C series clamshells in the US, but that doesn't mean that Sharp has missed the mark. The C3000 may actually be very well suited to their target market.

leskimo

• View Profile
    • http://
SL-C1000, pdaXrom beta3
Buffalo WiFi, Corega LAN, Socket Bluetooth

mikew

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2004, 10:07:42 am »
The pictures show a USB host socket on the back, so it must support USB host, you can see the USB logo just above it.

Mike
C3200, C760 Cacko 1.23 ROM, 1gb SD, 1gb CF, WiFi, Imate Jasjar & Psion Netbook

yzord

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2004, 10:45:30 am »
Just my quick opinions:

1) Built in HD, which some people bemoan, is actuallly a HUGE step. Ever since MDs hit the market, people have been clamouring for a PDA/cellphone with a built in MD. It's the first PDA to ever have a built in drive, which opens up the possibilties (hence, little flash memory necessary). Some think that it sucks batteries, but the newer MDs do not consume appreciably more juice than regular CF. However, spinup/spindown time might become an issue. Either way, this is a big marketing bullet - which alone might get them a significant amount of sales. BTW, I wouldnt worry too much about the MD dying - it should be fairly trivial to replace it with not much more than a small screwdriver and patience. I do agree with the other poster that it would be amazing if it were easily changeable (imagine that).

2) Non-lighted keyboard? WTF? This is the fourth gen unit and STILL no backlit keys?!?!?! ARGH.

3) Biggest dissapointment - why is it still the old 3.7" screen? The housing would have easily fit the SL6000 4" screen!! ARGH. If this isn't transflective, there's gonna be hell to pay.

4) No wifi/bt - they clearly didnt want to commit to either, and chose to address memory. This is a quite a cop-out as there are many single chip/dual radio solutions on the market nowadays. Both Sony and Dell have done it - why can't Sharp? I think "Didnt want to" might be the answer.

5) I really think 64mb ram could have easily been 128mb with little to no change in price. Sheesh, ram is dirt cheap. However this may be moot, given that no _built in apps_ ever get close to maxing out this usage.

6) I swear to ghod, that if Sharp left all that empty space underneath the unit (the big battery cover), they should be taken out back and shot! That space could easily have housed a large antenna, or another CF, or etc.etc.etc.

7) Ashikase indicated that the EA-BL11 1800mah battery might fit the C-xxx units. This alone might be the best thing to come out of this whole launch.

8) I do like the new directional pad though - this should have been how it was done in the first place. However, why shrink the size of the app keys and not use the extra space to make the keyboard buttons larger?! As it stands, the app keys are just harder to press...

IMO, Sharp's PDA department is showing clear signs of having their funding cut. This unit bears the look of many compromises.
Yz
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 10:47:58 am by yzord »

mikew

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 15, 2004, 10:58:39 am »
Quote from http://www.techworld.com/mobility/news/index.cfm?NewsID=2429

It is Windows Media Audio (WMA) compatible and plays Mpeg-2 video. It has the Lineo uLinux operating system, and can act as an external hard drive. Users can drag and drop Microsoft Office software, such as Word and Excel and files, and the full range of image files onto it. It can store about 700 MP3s.

Sharp decided not to add Java to the new model

The SL-C3000 will be on sale in Japan on 10 November for ¥80,000 (roughly £500).

Mike
C3200, C760 Cacko 1.23 ROM, 1gb SD, 1gb CF, WiFi, Imate Jasjar & Psion Netbook

tumnus

• View Profile
    • http://www.cpinkney.org.uk
« Reply #95 on: October 15, 2004, 12:01:12 pm »
2) Non-lighted keyboard? WTF? This is the fourth gen unit and STILL no backlit keys?!?!?! ARGH.
Probably because it's yet another source of battery drain.

3) Biggest dissapointment - why is it still the old 3.7" screen? The housing would have easily fit the SL6000 4" screen!! ARGH. If this isn't transflective, there's gonna be hell to pay.
From translations of the specs, it looks like its the same transmissive display as the other clamshell models sadly.

4) No wifi/bt - they clearly didnt want to commit to either, and chose to address memory. This is a quite a cop-out as there are many single chip/dual radio solutions on the market nowadays. Both Sony and Dell have done it - why can't Sharp? I think "Didnt want to" might be the answer.
I don't buy that. The SL-6000W has both WiFi and Bluetooth, but it doesn't look like it has sold well in Japan. Remeber that they're targetting the Japanese market that has CF cards for many high speed/3G mobile connections.

7) Ashikase indicated that the EA-BL11 1800mah battery might fit the C-xxx units. This alone might be the best thing to come out of this whole launch.
It should have had a bigger battery than this considering all that it is capable of.

8) I do like the new directional pad though - this should have been how it was done in the first place.
I would like to see a d-pad below the screen too, for use in typical PDA portrait mode. This would be especially useful for EON Games.

It's also incredibly expensive. If Sharp would correct a few minor flaws and make it a little more of an incremental upgrade, they could probably have faith in selling loads and hence mass produce more to bring the price right down. Considering they don't have to pay a Micro$oft tax either it is way overpriced when compared to other PDAs.
# Search the Zaurus Howtos ## Search the Zaurus FAQs ## Find Z software at ELSI #
--------------------
UK SL5500 with Sharp ROM 3.13, SL5600 with Sharp ROM 1.32 - SuSE 9.0 Pro, Windows XP Home
Qualendar for Calendar and Todo
Socket Bluetooth CF Card (Rev F), Kingmax 512MB MMC Card, Palm Tungsten T Stylus,
Pretec CF->Smartmedia Adapter, Semsons Universal Battery Extender

kahm

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2004, 03:26:32 pm »
The 64 Mb is the same as for the current C860. For actual running of apps. i.e. PC type conventional ram.

Anyone know what the "port" on the back is. The one that looks like it is an SD slot but isn't ?
I was going to say that it was the Sharp IO port, but at second glance, it really doesn't look that big.

Incidently, the Sharp's web page has an icon on it that says "Hard Drive by Hitachi", which pretty much wraps up what kind of tech they're using for storage - 4 gig CF Type II HD, just like the Muvo2 and iPod Mini. Chances are no one is going to strip the drive out of the Z, though.

Replacing it with a large capacity solid state CF card for power conservation and/or shock resistance might be an interesting project.

Damn. I don't *want* to spend $900 Canadian on one of these things, but I'm probably going to have to.  
Fujitsu U8240 "Stormtrooper" -  Zaurus Supplement
Libretto U100 | Sony Librie, Sony Reader
SL-C3100: Sharp 1.11JP (Kanji Dictionary/Translator) - LCD Top swap with C1000.
SL-C3000: pdaXii13 5.4.7, SL-C3000 5.4.9 - microdrive replaced with 8gb Sandisk
SL-C1000: PDAXRom Beta3 | SL-6000L: Sharp 1.12 | SL-5500: Cacko, 64-0 kernel | SL-5000D: OZ-Opie
Linksys WCF12; Sharp CE-AG06, CE-RH2, CE-170TS; iRiver USB OTG Host cable; Socket BT rev.E CF; Hitachi 6gb Microdrive