Author Topic: Pdaxrom Forum Guidelines/"rules"  (Read 15969 times)

Laze

• View Profile
    • http://www.pdaXrom.org
Pdaxrom Forum Guidelines/"rules"
« on: October 19, 2004, 11:30:11 am »
Okay we are currently drowning in people who are cross posting and asking questions in completely "wrong" threads which are not related to the subjects etc. So I have put together some small guidelines/”rules” for using the pdaXrom part of ZUG forum. This is not because I want to control everything but I want to make it as easy as possible for everybody to find what they are looking for.

Here goes…

1. Always first check that you question isn’t already answered in the FAQ on http://www.pdaXrom.org

2. Search the forums by using the above search function and see if someone already haven’t posted something about “your topic” – its better to “reopen” and old thread than to have 5 different about the same.

3. If you reading a thread and you all of the sudden have a question that you think some of the people writing in the thread could answer – consider if your question is directly related to the thread/discussion – if not the check point 1 and 2 – if you didn’t find the answers there, then make a new thread. Most people read all the new threads so you question will most likely be answered.

4. Use good “topic titles” and “topic descriptions” – they make it easier for other users to quickly see if there are any threads that they can help with/are interested in.

5. Avoid asking too many unrelated questions in one thread. Better to make two and for each thread follow these guidelines.

6. If you ask a question and get a good answer, related to pdaXrom :-), please feel free to PM me, that way we can add it to the FAQ on http://www.pdaXrom.org – thereby you solution might also help other users.

7. Please use the formatting for code and quote when posting – it makes reading a lot easier.

8. When posting please always state what Zaurus and ROM version your running/having problems with etc. If you have it in your “signature” please keep it updated and also keep in mind that when you change it all old posts are also updated with you new signature so that might “confuse” people when reading old posts.

9. Always try to help out with you experience and problems - you don’t have to post with problems only, feel free to post if you have come up with a genius way to make something work better, run faster etc.

10. Before asking question why something doesn’t work or why something is working “wrong” please check the buglist on http://www.pdaXrom.org – if your problem/bug is “global”, and not just a request for somebody to port your favourite game ;-), then please post a bug report and feel free to post a thread too with a description and maybe a link to the bugreport. That way we avoid double bugreports and at the same time some of the users might come up with a solution.
11. Always check the pinned subjects for most recent information and updates.

12. Remember to donate to ZUG or/and click their banners – they need you support as much as the pdaXrom project.

13. If you have found the way to make stone into pure gold don’t post directly – just PM me with the info :-)´

14. If your posting problems with flashing or running programs write your zaurus type, pdaXrom version, etc. With problems running programs please run from terminal and post output from commandline.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 08:59:37 am by Laze »
C760 running pdaXrom lastest ;-)
SL5500 Running Cacko Qtopia
512 MB SD Card, 128 MB CF Card, Prism2 CF Wlan.

Always visit http://www.pdaXrom.org for latest news.

wilbur

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 02:31:24 am »
Okay, I hate to whine, especially when we are talking about free/donate-based firmware and software, but...

I think to make the forum use much more efficient (as we all, users, monitors, developers want) you first need to make the main website much more efficient.  It is really out of date and almost appears to be abandoned.  It is pdaxrom.org correct?

I think the two most important items needed on the main website is a detailed, step-by-step, procedure for installing the LATEST release candidate (shoot, it would be nice if you even mentioned what the latest RC is and when it was made available).  Yes, there is a nice install procedure for the last stable version, but that procedure does not quite work properly for the latest RC - especially for a first-timer.

The second item that should be on the main website is a detailed, step-by-step, procedure for using the ipkg application for adding/updating/removing *.ipk files (maybe a little one sentence or two explanation of what a *.ipk file is too).  You would also need to have this for the stable version and for the latest RC - because there is typically a problem in this area with the latest RCs.  A mention of the location of the latest/matching feed would be nice, along with a quick mention of how to setup the feed locally on a memory card.

These are two items that would take a pdaxrom guru about 30 minutes to type up AND VERIFY on at least one model.  This 30 minutes worth of time spent would be much less than what that guru (or a guru) would have to hassle with in the forums.  And, most importantly to a donate-requesting-website, this would save the poor newbie days of frustration and probable leaving never to come back.  It also can save hours of frustration for a semi-veteran of pdaxrom-ing - saying this from personal experience.

Please, a little time and effort now could really save all of us a lot of time and frustration later.

Zumi

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 03:25:42 am »
The old site is abadoned because the pdaXrom team is working on the new one. As Laze used to say, it will be soon released.  (That means I really don't know when it will be released.)
There's already a step by step install guide, howto about ipk buildup and making, lastest RC and Dev tools info on the new site, but the transition takes time and I think that Laze is busy with his Real Life work.

The last line: I really don't know how this is connected to the Forum guidelines, maybe you clicked on the wrong forum before posting.

Zumi
SL-C860: pdaXrom 1.1.0beta1
SD: 1GB A-data, GPS: Haicom HI-303S, Bluetooth: Nokia DTL-1 CF, CF WiFi: ASUS SpaceLink WL-110
Browse user contributed packages for pdaXrom!

wilbur

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 04:42:17 am »
The old site is abadoned because the pdaXrom team is working on the new one. As Laze used to say, it will be soon released.
Ah, that explains a lot!  Maybe this could be added to the first line of the "home" page at the old/only website?  Also a "please check the forums for interim information" would be great too.

The last line: I really don't know how this is connected to the Forum guidelines, maybe you clicked on the wrong forum before posting.
I thought this was a very appropriate place...
This is not because I want to control everything but I want to make it as easy as possible for everybody to find what they are looking for.

Here goes…

1. Always first check that you question isn’t already answered in the FAQ on http://www.pdaXrom.org ...
...its better to “reopen” and old thread than to have 5 different about the same.
It seems the moderator/guru/Laze? is trying to make the forums as efficient and ordered as possible.  His own #1 rule refers to the website.  I agree - a nicely done website can really keep the forums lean and mean.  This is especially important with the forum's search ability being quite limited.

I'm just trying to help and do not mean to be argumentative.  Everything that I have suggested is based on my own frustrations and I would not have bothered making any suggestions if I did not appreciate the great efforts that people have made here.

apink

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 02:00:37 am »
The old site is abadoned because the pdaXrom team is working on the new one. As Laze used to say, it will be soon released.  (That means I really don't know when it will be released.)

Is the new site up yet?  Will it be at the same web address?
--current use--
linux chroot on top of lineage  on cell phone

--past handhelds--
pandora
ben nanonote
zaurus sl-c1000

Laze

• View Profile
    • http://www.pdaXrom.org
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 04:15:44 am »
The new site will be replacing the old one - yes...
C760 running pdaXrom lastest ;-)
SL5500 Running Cacko Qtopia
512 MB SD Card, 128 MB CF Card, Prism2 CF Wlan.

Always visit http://www.pdaXrom.org for latest news.