Author Topic: USB Adaptor & Cables  (Read 90193 times)

vputz

• View Profile
USB Adaptor & Cables
« Reply #105 on: December 21, 2004, 01:41:14 am »
I'm not sure if it's the same thing, but I've had the same reaction plugging in a keyboard that is connected to a ps/2 to usb converter--Z locks solid and bricks itself for a while--even the power light won't come on.  Scary as heck; eventually a hard reset fixed the problem.

I haven't tried to verify, but MAYBE this is related to a sudden power drop when you plug in the USB device on battery power.  Have you tried plugging it in only when the power is connected?

Of course, in my case it's still academic since the symbols on my keyboard don't work, but I guess you can't have everything.

-->VPutz

jbruno

• View Profile
    • http://
USB Adaptor & Cables
« Reply #106 on: December 21, 2004, 11:24:48 am »
Well, I have my Archos Jukebox recorder working now on the Zaurus with the IRiver cable.

I still have the problem where when I plug it in, the Zaurus will freeze - even if the Zaurus is on AC power.  WHY?? This is a *BIG* disappointment

However, if I turn on the jukebox and attach it prior to rebooting the Zaurus, it will boot up ok.

Then I can:

modprobe usb-storage
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbstorage

And hear the drive spin up!

Files show up in /mnt/storage/* - 20GB drive on the Zaurus!

Now to figure out how to avoid entering the commands (I just want to plug and play)
-----
SL6000L
ATP 512MB SD

binjinx

• View Profile
USB Adaptor & Cables
« Reply #107 on: December 21, 2004, 11:35:33 am »

jbruno

• View Profile
USB Adaptor & Cables
« Reply #108 on: December 21, 2004, 11:57:42 am »
Wow! I like that connector better - don't need two cables.
I wish I knew sooner, since we have a TigerDirect right in town here, and I waited a whole week for the iRiver cable.

I think I'll pick up one of those retractible ones.

Thanks for the link.
-----
SL6000L
ATP 512MB SD

ceffyl

• View Profile
USB Adaptor & Cables
« Reply #109 on: December 21, 2004, 03:37:54 pm »
Fascinating thread! I have an Archos Jukebox Recorder as well and can't wait to try hooking it up to the Z!

I have the Ziplink USB cable (which works well with the Archos Jukebox). I have an additional adapter cable that will let me connect the Z to the Archos.

Does the cable have to be a "host" cable? I'm not sure what the differences are.

Thanks.

~Ceffyl
SL-5500 ROM 3.10
SL-6000 ROM 1.12
1 GB SD, 1 GB CF
Targus Universal IR Keyboard

gdog

• View Profile
USB Adaptor & Cables
« Reply #110 on: December 21, 2004, 04:49:57 pm »
Note that the Tigerconnect cable is not labeled Mini A to A. Instead it says A to Mini 5-pin. That 5 pin could be a mini b, which is not much different physically. You have to look carefully or compare them side by side. But electrically they are very different.

I have two of the iRiver cables on order. Can't wait to get them and see if my thoughts on the pins turns out to be factual.

When you think about it, it's kind of lame of Sharp to sell a device that has host capability but not sell a cable to take advantage of it. Of course given the fact that they don't even support the device itself outside of warranty work it shouldn't come as a big surprise. After all "Sharp Minds" don't necessarily have time to consider the more mundane aspects of Customer Service. Not that I'm bitter mind you  

Regards,

gdog
You can tell a lot about a man by the condition of his shoes

jbruno

• View Profile
USB Adaptor & Cables
« Reply #111 on: December 21, 2004, 05:00:28 pm »
Another update - it turns out the Zaurus will not freeze up if I turn on my jukebox prior to inserting the cable in the Zaurus.  If I insert the cable first then turn it on, it locks up the zaurus.

Also, I added this line to my /etc/fstab:

/dev/sda1 /mnt/usbstorage auto noauto,user 0 0

So now I can (as root) do "mount /mnt/usbstorage" after plugging it in.

Can this be fixed so:
1) I don't have to be root
2) I don't have to manually mount it
-----
SL6000L
ATP 512MB SD

gdog

• View Profile
USB Adaptor & Cables
« Reply #112 on: December 21, 2004, 05:06:45 pm »
Good info jbruno, especially the fact that it will not freeze if powered up before connecting it. I've got a cable coming and I'd like to try a few things. Don't want to have to reset my Z...

Thanks,

gdog

binjinx

• View Profile
USB Adaptor & Cables
« Reply #113 on: December 22, 2004, 03:04:02 am »
Gdog, try rereading that tiger direct header again it says  Male Type A-Mini USB 5-Pin to Male Type A Connectors where do you come up with B ??

I have this and it works plain and simple

cycojesus

• View Profile
    • http://cycojesus.free.fr
USB Adaptor & Cables
« Reply #114 on: December 22, 2004, 10:47:46 am »
Hi everybody
Is there anybody living in the USA who could sell me the "iriver cable" ( http://www.nexternal.com/iriver?Product=104 ) and send it to me in France ?
SL-6000L : kexecboot and ArmedZed (on SD) & OpenZaurus/Opie (on flash)

gdog

• View Profile
USB Adaptor & Cables
« Reply #115 on: December 22, 2004, 01:28:32 pm »
Gdog, try rereading that tiger direct header again it says  Male Type A-Mini USB 5-Pin to Male Type A Connectors where do you come up with B ??

binjinx,

This is what  I see

"Zip-Linq's uniquely designed retractable USB A to mini 5-pin cable is a must for mobile PC users that require one of the most advanced space-saving technologies available."

and this, lower down

"Connect your computer to a digital camera, MP3 player or any other USB device that requires a mini 4-pin USB connection. Easily extends to more than two feet by pulling both ends. Durable ABS plastic housing is less than four inches long when retracted! The perfect 4-Pin Mini USB cable solution for mobile users on the go!"

Of particular importance there, aside from what it doesn't say, is the fact that it does say it is a 4-pin connector. I believe, though I may be mistaken, that the host cable requires and uses 5 pins...come to think of it, the top description contradicts the bottom description. Says 5 pin on top, and 4 pin on the bottom.

And I don't see anything there about it being specifically a Mini A cable.

The reason I said it may be a mini b is that the mini a and mini b look very similar, but are incompatible both physically and electrically. And there is much confusion surrounding even the mini a host and mini a slave cables. I have an iRiver iHP120 that came with a mini a slave cable, which is used to attach the player to a pc for the purpose of dragging and dropping files where the iHP is a slave device, but it cannot be used a host cable to connect peripherals or other hdd's to the iHP. The same port on the device is used however. So before I plunk my money down on yet another cable that may or may not work I'm going to make darned sure it is described in such a way that it will provide a host connection between my device and another. Which is why I've ordered two of the iRiver cables that consist of a mini a male to standard a female.

Regards,

gdog
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 01:44:15 pm by gdog »

pldrouin

• View Profile
USB Adaptor & Cables
« Reply #116 on: December 24, 2004, 05:42:27 pm »
Gdog, try rereading that tiger direct header again it says  Male Type A-Mini USB 5-Pin to Male Type A Connectors where do you come up with B ??

binjinx,

This is what  I see

"Zip-Linq's uniquely designed retractable USB A to mini 5-pin cable is a must for mobile PC users that require one of the most advanced space-saving technologies available."

and this, lower down

"Connect your computer to a digital camera, MP3 player or any other USB device that requires a mini 4-pin USB connection. Easily extends to more than two feet by pulling both ends. Durable ABS plastic housing is less than four inches long when retracted! The perfect 4-Pin Mini USB cable solution for mobile users on the go!"

Of particular importance there, aside from what it doesn't say, is the fact that it does say it is a 4-pin connector. I believe, though I may be mistaken, that the host cable requires and uses 5 pins...come to think of it, the top description contradicts the bottom description. Says 5 pin on top, and 4 pin on the bottom.

The reason I said it may be a mini b is that the mini a and mini b look very similar, but are incompatible both physically and electrically. And there is much confusion surrounding even the mini a host and mini a slave cables. I have an iRiver iHP120 that came with a mini a slave cable, which is used to attach the player to a pc for the purpose of dragging and dropping files where the iHP is a slave device, but it cannot be used a host cable to connect peripherals or other hdd's to the iHP. The same port on the device is used however. So before I plunk my money down on yet another cable that may or may not work I'm going to make darned sure it is described in such a way that it will provide a host connection between my device and another. Which is why I've ordered two of the iRiver cables that consist of a mini a male to standard a female.

Regards,

gdog
It says it is Mini-A. Look at the title bar of your browser

gdog

• View Profile
USB Adaptor & Cables
« Reply #117 on: December 26, 2004, 12:32:40 am »

binjinx,

This is what  I see

and this, lower down

Regards,

gdog
It says it is Mini-A. Look at the title bar of your browser  
You're right pldrouin!!! It does say that. Bad habit of mine, I almost never look at my title bar

Now binjinx, when you say "it works plain and simple", are you referring to using it to connect to something in slave mode, such as to your pc to run "Zaurus File Transfer" or in host mode? If you are using this cable to run your Z in host mode, what device are you connecting to the full size male A connector on the other end of this retractable cable?

Thanks,

gdog
« Last Edit: December 26, 2004, 12:34:45 am by gdog »

dfisher

• View Profile
USB Adaptor & Cables
« Reply #118 on: December 28, 2004, 04:45:09 pm »
Anybody know anything about this Sync Cable?
Boxwave miniSync
SL-6000, Various SD cards, Sharp ROM, Belkin F8U-1500E Keyboard, Boxwave MiniSync cable

Tom61

• View Profile
USB Adaptor & Cables
« Reply #119 on: December 28, 2004, 08:08:46 pm »
Anybody know anything about this Sync Cable?
Boxwave miniSync
That's not a host cable, that's for plugging into your Z into your PC.