Author Topic: Charge Battery In Car?  (Read 2320 times)

mimsmall

• View Profile
Charge Battery In Car?
« on: November 24, 2004, 10:48:18 am »
The sharpusa website didn't list a car charger as an accessory.
So, is any one doing this?
This feature would be very handy for people driving around looking for hotspots.

dsavard

• View Profile
    • http://
Charge Battery In Car?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 10:58:46 am »
I am using a lighter adapter from Radio Shack with the appropriate polarity plug and it is working fine. I did many long trips using my GPS and my Zaurus in my car without a glitch. You also have the option to use another Radio Shack adapter which gives you one 110V 60Hz output and plug the charger included with your Zaurus.

It is very important to use the proper polarity (it can be changed by reverse the plug from Radio Shack, so, if you have kids that may plug and unplug this adapter don't blindly plug it in your Zaurus or glue the plug to the wire).

The part number is 273-1857, the output is 4.5V DC and 1A. Use the B plug (they are named after letters) and align the + sign on the plug with the TIP mark on the wire end.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 11:05:22 am by dsavard »
JID: AchilleTalon-myjabber.net[/font]
Verbatim SD 64 MB
Lexar 32x 1GB SD
Lexar 4x 1GB CF
Sharp CE-170TS Serial cable

doc

• View Profile
Charge Battery In Car?
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 12:28:41 pm »
Do a search for "zaurus car charger" on ebay.  You'll find many for around $5 and $5 shipping for a total cost of $10.

I use one I got off ebay and it works great.
By your command...

Doc
Sharp SL-5500 PDA
Sharp 2.78 ROM
Viking 256MB SD
Socket LP-E CF Ethernet

mimsmall

• View Profile
Charge Battery In Car?
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 04:21:08 pm »
Thanks everyone;
I think I'll go with Radio Shack, it's just down the road.

V-Man

• View Profile
Charge Battery In Car?
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 10:10:03 pm »
Sometimes (as happened with me), Radio Shack is out of the particular car charger you need.  I built my own.  If you can't get what you need from Radio Shack, let me know and I'll send instructions on how to make one.  They aren't too hard and will cost about $5-10 plus your labor.  

Also, get (beg, borrow, or steal) a multimeter and check the actual voltage output of the car charger you get before plugging it into your Z.  Some (especially the really cheap ones) do not have a regulated output and it can vary high enough to fry your Z.  Just a word of warning, never seen it happen, but have heard some horror stories here.
SL5500 w/Sharp ROM 3.10
Netgear MA701 WiFi
Sharp  CE-AG06 Camera Card
Various memory cards
Various homemade power/battery packs
HP 2215 iPAQ

Jcroto1

• View Profile
Charge Battery In Car?
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2004, 12:21:47 am »
You could always grab a power inverter (Amazons list) and plug your Zaurus into that.  Then you can use it for other things too  .
Of course it will probably cost a little more (but not much).
SL-5500 - OZ 3.5.2  Opie
SL-6000L - ?
128 mb Viking CF
256 mb Kingston SD
512 mb Sandisk Ultra II SD
Linksys WCF12 Wireless card

zbones

• View Profile
Charge Battery In Car?
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2004, 03:55:02 am »
Also, never leave the charger plugged in when you start the car.

The resulting power surge can fry the charger circuit of the zaurus.
Zaurus cl760, cacko QT rom. Zaurus sl5500 with TKCrom 1.0.
512mb Kingston cf card, 256mb Sandisk sd card, Lexar 256mb sd card.
Bluemonkey bluetooth card <-> Sony Ericsson k700i for gprs.
Buffalo WLI-CF-S11G wifi card. Haicom 303 mmf gps cf/seral card.

omega

• View Profile
Charge Battery In Car?
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2004, 06:58:02 am »
zbones - ?

Fry your zaurus? I don't understand...  If you're using a car charger circuit, with some linear power convertor their max voltage is about 30volts.... Your car doesn't surge to that... usually it brownouts when it's turning over the engine to start.
Gorgeous C860, 256 Sandisk SD, 1Gig Pretec 40x CF, PDAIR leather case & the really cool retractable iPDA USB sync/charge cable. Powered by PDAXROM BETA 1.

My wish - to have a Command & Conquer style game on my Z! (FREECNC!!!) Simcity 2000 would also be great.

zbones

• View Profile
Charge Battery In Car?
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2004, 07:25:55 pm »
omega, I don't claim to know the physics of this, I am just re-quoting old threads.

see this thread 10 posts down from TRIsoft :-
https://www.oesf.org/forums/inde...&hl=car+charger

TRI-soft are well known and well trusted in the zaurus community so I have no reason to doubt them on this.

I am also fairly sure I have seen posts from people who have bricked their zaurus this way, but can't find them at the moment.

I use an old nokia car charger that I cut the plug off and soldered a zaurus type connector  on instead.

It works great, but I never leave it plugged in when starting the car after reading that post.

Maybe it's untrue, or just a marketing ploy, but I personally wouldn't want to risk it and wouldn't want anyone destroying their pride and joy either.

Either way, make sure the polarity is correct as other people in this thread have said. See these posts about bricked zauri  with car chargers that have the wrong polarity :-

bricked z1

bricked Z 2

Peter
Zaurus cl760, cacko QT rom. Zaurus sl5500 with TKCrom 1.0.
512mb Kingston cf card, 256mb Sandisk sd card, Lexar 256mb sd card.
Bluemonkey bluetooth card <-> Sony Ericsson k700i for gprs.
Buffalo WLI-CF-S11G wifi card. Haicom 303 mmf gps cf/seral card.

V-Man

• View Profile
Charge Battery In Car?
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2004, 04:48:42 pm »
I have heard of various electronic devices being destroyed by low quality car chargers when starting a vehicle.  I have never seen this happen or actually talked to anyone that it happened to. . .
That said, I don't want to be the one to experience it first hand.  A car's electrical system is not set up to deliver a stable voltage to sensitive electronics.  I disconnect everything not hard wired before starting my truck.  I just don't want to risk it.  My chargers were home made using 7805 regulator chips and capacitors to supposedly stop problems like this from happening, but. . .

My ham radio is wired direct to the battery, my gps is fed off of that connection.  Other than that, all plugs are pulled before starting (usually they're just not plugged in until the truck is started).
SL5500 w/Sharp ROM 3.10
Netgear MA701 WiFi
Sharp  CE-AG06 Camera Card
Various memory cards
Various homemade power/battery packs
HP 2215 iPAQ