Author Topic: Bluetooth On The Sl-3000?  (Read 78158 times)

gjarboni

• View Profile
Bluetooth On The Sl-3000?
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2005, 12:58:11 pm »
Another success story for BlueZ on a C3000. I just got a usb Bluetooth adapter working. Here's the info from "System Info"

Vendor: National Semiconductor Corp
Product: RF Controller
Class: RF Controller
ID: 0400/0807
Driver: hci_usb

I can do a sdptool browse and see my computer and a bluetooth access point. That's all I know how to do right now with BlueZ, but I get the same results as with a Socket bluetooth CF card.

If anyone wants to know the exact model of bluetooth adapter I'm using I could only find it here. But if this thing works (I bought it because it was cheap - $18), I'm pretty sure others will too. It was in a drawer because the Windows software was so bad (no XP support  ).

Now for the confusing part. I couldn't get my Ambicom CF card to work in the C3000. The Model# is BT-2000D-CF. Yep, not an E, nor a C, but a D. I'm guessing it's too new for the drivers to recognize it, but that's a guess. The manfid is: 0x022d, 0x2000 & the output from cardctl ident is:

Socket 0:
  product info: "Compact Flash", "Bluetooth Card", "", ""
  manfid: 0x022d, 0x2000
  function: 2 (serial)

Thanks to tumnus for all the hard work so far.

Jason M.

idoc

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2005, 10:00:35 am »
Hi,
I am very keen to get my bluetooth usb dongle to work on the C3000.
I see from Jason's post above that he is able to get the hci_usb driver loaded.
I have installed the updated alpha3 ipk but this doesn't appear to have the hci_usb driver.
I was wondering which other package(s) are required (or config files that need modifying) for this driver or whether I will have to compile Bluez myself? I haven't used Linux for a while.

Thanks,

Steve

Vendor: Momitsu WIF-0402C Bluetooth Adapter
Product: RF Controller
Class: RF Controller
ID: 03ee/641f
Driver: none

tumnus

• View Profile
    • http://www.cpinkney.org.uk
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2005, 10:07:25 am »
Um, I never considered USB devices so I never included the hci_usb driver. I guess Jason must have compiled that himself. I suppose I could include it in the SL-3000 BlueZ ipk. In fact as long as the USB dongle uses a CSR chip they're a piece of cake to get working with BlueZ (would you believe most USB dongle manufacturers use a standard interface rather than re-inventing the wheel? *cough*Ambicom CF cards*cough*).
# Search the Zaurus Howtos ## Search the Zaurus FAQs ## Find Z software at ELSI #
--------------------
UK SL5500 with Sharp ROM 3.13, SL5600 with Sharp ROM 1.32 - SuSE 9.0 Pro, Windows XP Home
Qualendar for Calendar and Todo
Socket Bluetooth CF Card (Rev F), Kingmax 512MB MMC Card, Palm Tungsten T Stylus,
Pretec CF->Smartmedia Adapter, Semsons Universal Battery Extender

idoc

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2005, 10:46:57 am »
Thanks for the quick reply Tumnus.
The USB-Host function of the C3000 seems to be a winner!
I would appreciate if you could add in the HCI_USB module next compile.
Steve

gjarboni

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2005, 06:23:43 pm »
Um, I never considered USB devices so I never included the hci_usb driver. I guess Jason must have compiled that himself. I suppose I could include it in the SL-3000 BlueZ ipk. In fact as long as the USB dongle uses a CSR chip they're a piece of cake to get working with BlueZ (would you believe most USB dongle manufacturers use a standard interface rather than re-inventing the wheel? *cough*Ambicom CF cards*cough*).
[div align=\"right\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Actually, I thought for sure that it was part of the BlueZ package you posted. Since it obviously isn't, I think that I got it from [a href=\"http://tetsu.homelinux.org/zaurus/kernel/v17f/kernel-modules_v17f-C3000_arm.ipk]here[/url]. The site is in Japanese and has custom kernels for all the zaurii. Not speaking Japanese, I don't have any idea how to install them or what they do.

tumnus

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2005, 07:04:06 pm »
I have attached the alpha4 ipk for the SL-3000 to this post.

Changes:
  • Added the hci_usb driver for USB bluetooth dongles
  • Corrected a syntax error spotted by pakman
Remember to rename the download and change some of those underscores (_) to bluez-zaurus_2.12-2.4.20-alpha4_arm.ipk

Please test this latest package, especially if you have a serial card. Enjoy
# Search the Zaurus Howtos ## Search the Zaurus FAQs ## Find Z software at ELSI #
--------------------
UK SL5500 with Sharp ROM 3.13, SL5600 with Sharp ROM 1.32 - SuSE 9.0 Pro, Windows XP Home
Socket Bluetooth CF Card (Rev F), Kingmax 512MB MMC Card, Palm Tungsten T Stylus,

idoc

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2005, 03:55:19 am »
Thanks Colin
HCI_USB works perfectly!
Keep up the good work
Steve

sornette

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2005, 06:39:51 pm »
Hello, Tumnus and others.

To be short, I was able to establish a PAN connection between my SL-C3000 and my laptop using different revisions of Socket cards (rev F/dtl1_cs  and H/hci_uart)

I've been trying the bluez stack on SL-C3000 with various Socket cards, and here's a couple of things I can share with you. Unfortunately, I don' seem to be able to get back to a clean image and restart from scratch, so, as I tried many things before I got things working, the steps may not be in the right order.

1. First I backed up my fresh SL-C3000 and I tried the bluez stack for the SL-C860 (2.4.18) on the SL-C3000 and tried forcing the modules to load. I stopped when the 3000 froze when loading rfcomm I think.

That's where I came to this forum, and found out about the SL-C3000 port.

2. So I uninstalled 2.4.18 and installed the 2.4.20-alpha3 patch. I noticed that some files were not restored to their original state, for instance: modules.dep, modules.conf, and also some libbluetooth files. And my bluetooth card didn't seem to be recognized correctly: a "hcitool dev" would not be able to display any device information.

3. Even after restoring my original backup, bluez files were still there. So I tried t remove as much as possible manually, and restored them again.

4. I reinstalled alpha-3 package. "hcitool dev" returned nothing. tried restarting bluez stack (/etc/rc.d/init/d/bluetooth restart)... , ejecting and inserting the card... nothing. Then I rebooted and finally "hcitool dev" displayed the MAC address of my card (a rev F) socket card.

5. So I tried with a rev H socket card. "hcitool dev" > nothing. Installe csr-serial patch - nothing. But got something after rebooting the PDA.

6. Finally I installed the pannetworkapplet and was able to connect to my laptop.

7. Oh yes, and at some point, when I installed the bluez-zaurus package from the "Add/Remove" GUI program, the system would hang. So I ended up installing it from the console. And so it seems that I will have to uninstall it from the console as well...

Although I'm not sure this is clear, I still hope it can help.
And in summary, it seems that:

- Uninstalling the stack does not uninstall everything.
- The backup/restore is not reliable
- Sometimes I have to reboot to get my cards recognized (and I feel like I shouldn't have to).
- Sometimes bnep driver is loaded automatically, sometimes it's not (and when it's not, of course no networking). Is the pan-network applet responsible for loading it ?

I'm new to the Zaurus and that's my first post here, don't be too hard on me please.
Thanks for your efforts Tumnus!

tumnus

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2005, 06:58:46 pm »
Hello sornett and welcome to the forums.

I think most of your troubles stemmed from trying to force the kernel modules to load that were not for the same version of kernel as is on your SL-3000.

You shouldn't need the bluez-csr-serial package installed and it shouldn't be using the file from that anyway. It sounds like it should be working for serial based cards now, like the rev H socket card, as long as you're using the alpha4 package and not the alpha3.
--------------------

Bombur

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2005, 11:18:13 pm »
Tumnus,

alpha4 worked for me on the 3000.  
- I removed the csr package and the alpha2 package.
- Installed alpha4 package.
- rebooted.
- re-entered my /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf settings
- initial insertion of the Socket rev H card did not register with hcitool dev
- tried /etc/rc.d/init.d/bluetooth start     didn't work either
- re-inserted the card.  hcitool dev finally found the card.

I tested against my GPRS capable phone and sure enough the Internet was my oyster.

Thank you for your awesome and very appreciated work!

J.
Nokia N800 (Intec Gameboy Advance Case)
SL-C3000 Sharp ROM
Socket CF BT card
Socket BT Serial Adapter
SMC CF Wifi  2642W
Socket CF Ethernet (RJ45)
Sharp Camera (CE-AG06)
GoldX 5 in 1 USB cable kit (GXQU-06)
Socket IO USB-Serial Cable
Krusell Horizontic Premium Case
Qualendar
tkc Applications

tumnus

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2005, 03:09:00 am »
Woohoo! Thanks for testing that Bombur.

How well does it survive suspend/resume cycles with the new susp-resume-bluez package (v0.9.2)?
--------------------

Bombur

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2005, 11:09:51 pm »
Woohoo! Thanks for testing that Bombur.

How well does it survive suspend/resume cycles with the new susp-resume-bluez package (v0.9.2)?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=65304\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Hi Tumnus,

I don't think the suspend-resume works.  I set my suspend timout to 4 minutes and allowed the system to go into screen saver and then tried to reconnect.  I also closed the screen which automatically puts the system into suspend.  Upon resume, my card was not recognized nor did it come up again when I tried to manually manipulate.

In the end after much testing, it looks like /etc/rc.d/init.d/bluetooth start must be done manually to get the card to be recognized and in some instances, a card re-insertion is also necessary.  Is /etc/rc.d/init.d/bluetooth start supposed to be called when the card is inserted or during a resume? Is there some funkiness with these Socket cards?

I have a Socket Communications BT card Rev H.  I have the bluez-susp-resume_arm.ipk version 0.92.

Best Regards,

J.
Nokia N800 (Intec Gameboy Advance Case)
SL-C3000 Sharp ROM
Socket CF BT card
Socket BT Serial Adapter
SMC CF Wifi  2642W
Socket CF Ethernet (RJ45)
Sharp Camera (CE-AG06)
GoldX 5 in 1 USB cable kit (GXQU-06)
Socket IO USB-Serial Cable
Krusell Horizontic Premium Case
Qualendar
tkc Applications

tumnus

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2005, 03:21:07 am »
Ejecting the card and reinserting it should be all that is needed for this card with the latest BlueZ ipk. '/etc/rc.d/init.d/bluetooth start' should only be called once when the system boots up, which it is.
--------------------

nein

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2005, 04:41:32 pm »
hi tumnus.
i tried your alpha4 bluez drivers with a bt0100m card and got some problems.
after i do hciattach, i can use hciconfig and sdptool  as i expect, but after a while it stops working an dmesg reports

bcsp_pkt_cull: Peer acked invalid packet
bcsp_handle_le_pkt: Found a LE sync pkt, card has reset

and the tx an rx counter in hciconfig go up, even after switching my mobile off.

i ve been trying to compile the bluez modules myself, but it seems the bluetooth support in the slc3000-kernel i downloaded does not support  bcsp uart cards.

is this a problem with bcsp-support in linux or is it related to the slc3000?
or just configuration?

tumnus

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2005, 05:03:18 pm »
hciattach should be executed automatically. I don't know what is wrong with your card.

To compile the kernel modules you have to patch the kernel source: http://www.holtmann.org/linux/kernel/
--------------------