Author Topic: Python 2.5.1 And Pyqt For Cacko  (Read 11365 times)

Jiba

• View Profile
Python 2.5.1 And Pyqt For Cacko
« on: January 26, 2008, 07:04:39 am »
Hello,

I've compiled the latest Python 2.5.1 for Cacko, as well as PyQT (bound to Cacko's QTopia).

IPKG are available here :

http://feed.zaurusfr.org/cackophonie/feed/

Enjoy !
Jiba

misha

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 08:19:54 am »
Thank you, it works very well.

Misha

guscpu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 02:21:35 pm »
Quote from: Jiba
Hello,

I've compiled the latest Python 2.5.1 for Cacko, as well as PyQT (bound to Cacko's QTopia).

IPKG are available here :

Enjoy !
Jiba

Hi Jiba,
Thinking of learning Python and have downloaded "Python_2.5.1-cackompile2.1_arm.ipk" and "pyqt_3.8.1-onboard-2_arm.ipk" to the SD card on my Z. "Python_2.5.1-cackompile2.1_arm.ipk"  won't install to my SD card and complains about dependencies. When i ran "ipkg depends" it moans about the underscore characters and i am fed up of seeing this error, why does ipkg do this when so many packages contain underscore characters?

I have now used "ipkg install" to install the package which seems to have worked but when i run python from the CLI it complains that libpython2.5.so.1.0  cannot load shared object file.....etc

Could someone please link me to a step by step installation guide for the Z which includes the req dependencies.

Should I install both files to memory or can I install them to the card?

What do i use for writing python on the Z, will a simple editor suffice?

Thanks
Newcomer to Linux!
SL-C1000, Cacko 1.23

jfv

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 07:57:52 pm »
There used to be a Python package created by Kopsis (if I remember right) which was a cramfs file so you just mounted it and were ready to go. It worked for me when I used it a few times a while back. Search the forum for "python kopsis".
SL 5000 D  and C860 Sharp ROM
Too many accessories...

guscpu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 05:53:17 pm »
Quote from: jfv
There used to be a Python package created by Kopsis (if I remember right) which was a cramfs file so you just mounted it and were ready to go. It worked for me when I used it a few times a while back. Search the forum for "python kopsis".

Unfortunately alot of the links I have found so far have gone dry

Gus
Newcomer to Linux!
SL-C1000, Cacko 1.23

jfv

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 10:46:17 pm »
I'll attach a copy I found on my Zaurus. It's Kopsis Python 2.4. You should be able to find instructions on the forum to mount the image. To program in python all you need is a text editor.

Stupid forum won't let me upload the file for some reason. Use instead this link.

I just found this using google: Kopsis instructions. You need to download the python-exe ipk as well as the image that I linked above. I guess the other file does the installation for you. I don't remember what I did when used it but I am sure I just followed the instructions and everything worked as it should.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 10:59:00 pm by jfv »
Too many accessories...

guscpu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 03:26:44 am »
Quote from: jfv
I'll attach a copy I found on my Zaurus. It's Kopsis Python 2.4. You should be able to find instructions on the forum to mount the image. To program in python all you need is a text editor.

Stupid forum won't let me upload the file for some reason. Use instead this link.

I just found this using google: Kopsis instructions. You need to download the python-exe ipk as well as the image that I linked above. I guess the other file does the installation for you. I don't remember what I did when used it but I am sure I just followed the instructions and everything worked as it should.

Hi Jfv,
Unfortunately I am getting access forbidden when I try to use the first link, Kopsis Python 2.4 must surely be lurking around somewhere on the internet.

Gus
Newcomer to Linux!
SL-C1000, Cacko 1.23

jfv

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 09:53:05 am »
The page where I pointed out for instructions has a download link where you'll find both files that you need.
I'll fix the other link.
Too many accessories...

guscpu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 08:25:58 am »
Thanks jfv,
Have downloaded and installed and it seems to be working okay. Will be using python to create a simple gui flash card program and learning python at the same time and hope to do all this on the Z.

I also downloaded the following files.... "Python_2.5.1-cackompile2.1_arm.ipk" and "pyqt_3.8.1-onboard-2_arm.ipk" from

Is this a more up to date version of python for the Z I should be using or is it a case of 6 and one half dozen of the other? Did try to install using these files but obviously got it wrong and installed using your kopsis links.

Thanks
Gus
Newcomer to Linux!
SL-C1000, Cacko 1.23

frostschutz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 10:05:29 am »
This is the newest version of Python I could find for Cacko, and in general it works well. Thank you for providing it, Jiba!

Unfortunately I can't get a piece of software to run with it, because some packages are missing. Which ones I'm not entirely sure, right now it complains about sqlite3. The Python part of this module seems to be included, but it fails to import the C part of the module (or so it seems). Anyway, when importing sqlite3, it complains about module _sqlite3 not available.

So far my search for a more complete or up to date Python has not been very successful. I found a Python 2.4 package by mickeyl, which is very good as well, but it does not include sqlite, and mickeyl does not offer a package for sqlite either. As for the Kopsis image, the sqlite it comes with seems to be too old, and while a loop mounted image certainly saves space, it's not possible to install additional python modules in the directory.

I would love to be able to build my own version of Python for Cacko, but so far, I have not found a good How-To. I know my way around Linux on my Desktop PC (experience with various distros including LFS and Gentoo), but embedded devices are like a different world for me. I don't know where to get a toolchain / cross compiling environment / emulator that allows downloading and compiling stuff for Cacko as easy as it is for the PC. Any pointers?