Author Topic: Gemini won’t charge  (Read 10160 times)

Paul H

• View Profile
Gemini won’t charge
« on: January 30, 2020, 03:16:31 pm »
My Gemini won’t take a charge. The red light comes on when plugged in but it will not charge. The red light is on but. Won’t charge or turn on even with it plugged in.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement battery?

Thx

jdcard

• View Profile
Gemini won’t charge
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 04:52:07 pm »
E-mail to "Customer Care (Support)" <hello@planetcom.co.uk> is how I ordered mine. They will send you a PayPal invoice ($79.00) and once you've paid they promise to ship the replacement battery. I ordered mine on 2019-11-29 and received e-mail today saying "We are sorry for the delays with this. We've been very low on battery stock, but we have a few spares now. We will ship you one this week for sure. It will be traceable upon request early next week."

Paul H

• View Profile
Gemini won’t charge
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 07:11:41 am »
Thanks. I will go that route.

rasva

• View Profile
    • http://
Gemini won’t charge
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 12:23:51 pm »
Are you sure that the battery is dead? It could be only deeply discharged, it could also be some other problem. If it is deeply discharged then usually keeping it plugged in for few hours will resolve it.
Cosmo
Gemini 4G/SailfishX

In past: Zaurus SL-C3200, Jornada 728, 690, Mobilepro 900C, Sharp PC3100, HP 200LX....

mithrandir

• View Profile
    • http://www.mygnu.de
Gemini won’t charge
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 07:52:42 am »
Quote from: rasva
Are you sure that the battery is dead? It could be only deeply discharged, it could also be some other problem. If it is deeply discharged then usually keeping it plugged in for few hours will resolve it.
Not accepting any charge in case of a bad battery also sounds not very probable for me. In most cases one notices capacity loss first, and it is not that old, yet. I also have noticed some (rare, have not seen this for a long time) times the Gemini not charging despite of being plugged in. I would try anything else first. Replugging many times, rebooting, deleting cache (if on Android), etc. ..., before ordering a new battery.

Battery voltage might be below the charging circuits lower limit. Are you capable of measuring the battery voltage at the battery terminals?  

Btw. are you using the original charger? I have noticed with a Samsung tablet, that it won't start charging with my 3rd party charger when it is completely empty. With the original one then it worked.

Paul H

• View Profile
Gemini won’t charge
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 10:23:52 am »
I have not used the Gemini that much over the past few months and let the battery sit uncharged. Once I did hear it try to turn on while plugged in but it didn’t. I can’t even get it to turn on while plugged in. I can try a different charger and see if that helps. I did have another charger from Planet Computers but that didn’t make a difference. The weird thing is I reached out to support a week ago and have not heard back.

Eldkatten

• View Profile
Gemini won’t charge
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 10:15:40 am »
Hello,

just to hint to a common mistake: only the left side USB-port can be used for charging.

rasva

• View Profile
    • http://
Gemini won’t charge
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 11:35:31 am »
Quote from: Paul H
I have not used the Gemini that much over the past few months and let the battery sit uncharged. Once I did hear it try to turn on while plugged in but it didn’t. I can’t even get it to turn on while plugged in. I can try a different charger and see if that helps. I did have another charger from Planet Computers but that didn’t make a difference. The weird thing is I reached out to support a week ago and have not heard back.

Try what I wrote above. If the battery is deeply discharged then the phone (any phone using li-ion battery) will not turn ON even when plugged in. Just keep the Gemini on the charger (left USB), for many hours. Most likely it will come to life. Also a good thing here would be an "USB doctor", it will tell you if the USB device is actually consuming any power from USB.

Quick usb charger will not make any difference here.

As a last resort if above does not help is to remove battery and charge it externally, but this needs to be done by someone who knows how to do it.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 11:36:59 am by rasva »
Cosmo
Gemini 4G/SailfishX

In past: Zaurus SL-C3200, Jornada 728, 690, Mobilepro 900C, Sharp PC3100, HP 200LX....

NormMonkey

• View Profile
Gemini won’t charge
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 12:50:39 pm »

Recommend try a different charger in case your charger is misbehaving.

If you have a 5V/500mA or 5V/1A old-school "slow" charger, I recommend to try that.

Paul H

• View Profile
Gemini won’t charge
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 08:24:08 pm »
I will leave it in for a while. When I try to power on the Gemini it does vibrate but does not turn on. Also concerning is I’ve yet to hear from Planet Computers web site and it’s been almost 2 weeks. Send a few emails. Not a peep from them.

Paul H

• View Profile
Gemini won’t charge
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 12:36:44 pm »
I did hear back finally from a Planet. Told me to hold then ESC and silver buttons down until the device vibrates. Still nothing. They also want me to do a full restore. Not hopeful on that end

wojta

• View Profile
Gemini won’t charge
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 04:52:49 pm »
Is there another option, some 3rd party vendor to get the battery? I have the same problem, I'm not sure if I want to get a new battery for $79.

Paul H

• View Profile
Gemini won’t charge
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 05:07:01 pm »
I hope there is..... Needing a battery so soon is disappointing.

gemini_user_j

• View Profile
Gemini won’t charge
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2020, 08:53:47 am »
Quote from: NormMonkey

Recommend try a different charger in case your charger is misbehaving.

If you have a 5V/500mA or 5V/1A old-school "slow" charger, I recommend to try that.
Did you try different charger and/or cable?
Gemini PDA x27

Paul H

• View Profile
Gemini won’t charge
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2020, 10:33:24 am »
Yes, tried a few different chargers... still dead.