Author Topic: A Bargain At Any Price... Okay Maybe Not *any* Price ;-)  (Read 10801 times)

Omicron

• View Profile
    • http://
A Bargain At Any Price... Okay Maybe Not *any* Price ;-)
« on: August 18, 2011, 11:03:52 pm »
I just noticed this sale on EBay...

Granted you'd probably want to put in an offer instead of clicking Buy-It-Now (I mean $499 seems a tad steep, IMHO).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sharp-Zaurus-SL-C1...p-/270758288793

And personally, I ask for an actual picture of the item vs. the stock one being shown (they are listed as used after all).

(Disclaimer: I have no association with the seller... Always do your homework and check a every seller's feedback before buying purchasing anything.)

EDIT: Oops, I should have posted this in "Deals and Great Z Buys" forum... sorry about that.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 11:10:02 pm by Omicron »
"You Shall Not Pass"    
....Gandalf, Lord Of The Rings
--------------------------------------------------------------
C-860 (Cacko), 3x4gb MD  
DLINK 660W, 1GB SD,  
Upgraded Archos AV320 w/80GB HDD
Pocketop and Targus IR keyboards
Favorite Deal Site: SaveCity.net (pretty cool, good deals daily on one page)

deluxe

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 01:59:57 pm »
Quote from: Omicron
I just noticed this sale on EBay...

Granted you'd probably want to put in an offer instead of clicking Buy-It-Now (I mean $499 seems a tad steep, IMHO).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sharp-Zaurus-SL-C1...p-/270758288793

And personally, I ask for an actual picture of the item vs. the stock one being shown (they are listed as used after all).

(Disclaimer: I have no association with the seller... Always do your homework and check a every seller's feedback before buying purchasing anything.)

EDIT: Oops, I should have posted this in "Deals and Great Z Buys" forum... sorry about that.

Sl-C1000's sell for $100 or less on ebay, though they seldom get listed these days. I just missed a "new" sl-c3200, which went for about $84 a couple of weeks ago.
They would have to accept a pretty steep reduction from the BIN price of $499 to make a purchase from that seller worthwhile IMO
Neill Currie
Hillsborough
Nh, USA.
---------
SL-C3100, Cacko "heavy" ROM.
SL-C1000, Cacko "heavy" ROM.
A SL-5500 with TKrom.
Ambicom and Symbol CF wifi, 8gb Seagate Microdrive, <4gb Transcend SD. Assorted other digital detritus.
---------
Owner of a Nokia n810 Internet Tablet.
Also a Nokia n800, and a 4th generation iPod Touch.
---------

Omicron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 04:09:49 pm »
Agreed, $499 is more than a bit steep.  

However, I looked up that SL-3200 auction you mentioned... at least I think it was the same auction, if you are referring to this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/260822185572

And although it was described as "looking new", it was kind of implicitly being sold as "Used/AS-IS" since the seller could not get it to completely boot up.  The canned EBay blurb about "fully operational and functions as intended" was not exactly consistent with the seller's description.

Speaking of which,  the description is so minimal it's laughable... I mean, here's the entire description text of that auction:
"This and everything that comes with it look like brand new. The manuals are in Chinese. I plugged it in and a light comes on but that's all I know about it. I don't know how to operate it. "

While that is obviously in part due to the seller' s lack of knowledge, I think that that unit went for lower than normal due to it's unknown working condition, not too mention the non-existent description of the devices features/capabilities/etc.     But really, at then end of the day, I think with EBay it really comes down to how many buyers are looking for that particular model (or any Zaurus) at that particular time.

As for the C1000s in the OP, I think the quality of the used condition needs to be verified.  Mainly because they are using a stock photo.  Let's face it, there's used and then there's USED.  I find when the description is lacking actual pictures or details, it is better to assume the worst and make the seller prove you wrong.  That's why I mentioned in the OP that anyone considering buying these should ask for at least a few closeup detailed pictures (with it powered on) before making any offers.  (And of course check the seller's feedback comments and ratings).

But yeah, I totally agree... I would say that a C1000 is probably not worth more than $100/used or at most maybe $150 if it's in like new condition.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 04:28:14 pm by Omicron »
"You Shall Not Pass"    
C-860 (Cacko), 3x4gb MD  
DLINK 660W, 1GB SD,  

deluxe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 04:29:10 pm »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/260822185572

Yes, that was the auction
Neill Currie
Hillsborough
Nh, USA.
---------
SL-C3100, Cacko "heavy" ROM.
SL-C1000, Cacko "heavy" ROM.
A SL-5500 with TKrom.
Ambicom and Symbol CF wifi, 8gb Seagate Microdrive, <4gb Transcend SD. Assorted other digital detritus.
---------
Owner of a Nokia n810 Internet Tablet.
Also a Nokia n800, and a 4th generation iPod Touch.
---------

Asterix

• View Profile
    • http://gb.asterix.com/index.html
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 01:19:50 pm »
There's a box to make an offer, which I used and got a SL-C1000 from that guy on eBay for less than half of the BIN price. It was still overpriced considering the age and low demand, but he wouldn't take anything less. (I'm not going to say publicly what I paid.) I tried about 6 times to bring him down to earth, but he was stubborn. If it's not worth it, I'll complain and send it back. I didn't use stupid paypal, so it should be easier to get my money back.

Basically, I wanted another for when my current one breaks since I use it daily for my PIM and music. There are pretty much only 2 sources now - fleaBay and pulster.de - that I found. Pulster.de wanted too much, especially with shipping from the EU to the USA.

Omicron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 01:43:31 pm »
Quote from: Asterix
There's a box to make an offer, which I used and got a SL-C1000 from that guy on eBay for less than half of the BIN price. It was still overpriced considering the age and low demand, but he wouldn't take anything less. (I'm not going to say publicly what I paid.) I tried about 6 times to bring him down to earth, but he was stubborn. If it's not worth it, I'll complain and send it back. I didn't use stupid paypal, so it should be easier to get my money back.

Basically, I wanted another for when my current one breaks since I use it daily for my PIM and music. There are pretty much only 2 sources now - fleaBay and pulster.de - that I found. Pulster.de wanted too much, especially with shipping from the EU to the USA.

Did you ever watch videos on it?  

I have watched many a movie on my C860, and even at 15 to 20 FPS, it was still quite enjoyable.  With a C1000, I bet it is quite fantastic (probably a solid 30FPS, which is what most DVDs are anyway).  Plus with Handbrake it would be a breeze to encode them.
"You Shall Not Pass"    
C-860 (Cacko), 3x4gb MD  
DLINK 660W, 1GB SD,  

Asterix

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 12:22:02 pm »
Quote from: Omicron
Did you ever watch videos on it?

The only video I've watched was an episode of The Prisoner encoded by someone else. It looked great at 352x288 and 25fps. Next time I travel I'll bring more with me. It's a great little machine and I've not found anything to replace it yet.

Asterix

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 08:16:32 pm »
Well, my "new" Zaurus showed up yesterday, and I'm happy. The seller was really slow. However, I don't feel like I paid way too much as it's basically new and unused. The box is a bit wrinkled and worn, but so what. It's a complete set with charger, battery, box, Zaurus, manual, and CD. It's not a Sharp charger with folding prongs like I got with my previous purchase, but that's ok. Chargers are easy (PSP!). The battery doesn't have a date code on it, so I can't say how old it is.

Omicron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 09:37:22 pm »
Glad to hear the purchase worked out for you...  

Generally a Li-ion battery stored at 40% charge (optimal charge for storage) loses about 5% of capacity per year.
However, if it was stored at 100% it will have lost more.  

But either way, many compatible new(-ish) batteries are available on eBay, so even if it isn't a good battery, that's probably the most minor problem you could hope for, right?

Besides, if you're like me, chances are you have few extra lying around from your other one anyway...

Any plans for the new one since you already have one for your common tasks?  I have been seriously toying with the idea of setting up QT environment and do a little dev to make my dream alarm clock or such project ;-)  

But of course, time is always in scarce supply... *sigh*
"You Shall Not Pass"    
C-860 (Cacko), 3x4gb MD  
DLINK 660W, 1GB SD,  

Asterix

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 11:10:46 am »
So far the battery in my 1st Zaurus doesn't seem to have lost all that much over the past 4 years. It usually stays charged between 80 and 100% since I plug it into the car all the time. I used to get about 8 hours of music out of it with the LCD turned off most of the time (thanks to Quasar). I'm running it down right now to see and it seems similar to before, but I won't know for sure for a few more days.

Oh, I have way more toys to play with than I have time. I bought a 2nd Zaurus while I still could simply to sit on the shelf and wait for the 1st one to die. Batteries seem to still be available, though they're fading away, too.

It's amazing how fast devices and their accessories disappear these days...

Omicron

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 12:45:06 pm »
Oh, I have way more toys to play with than I have time.

You and me both.  It's especially time consuming when many of the great Z websites are now dead links.  I am very glad to see this forum is still alive, though I often wonder if it too might someday be unavailable... but luckily that seems unlikely.  It's too bad the wiki did not have more actual downloads (rather than links to external sites) as that would have prevented alot of god zaurus apps/OSes/etc. from falling into oblivion.  Granted most stuff still seems to be *findable* on the web, but not in a format that is usable by newbies to the Zaurus.   Like many Z owners, I have toyed with putting up a new zaurus site/archive... but as you mentioned, time is tough to come by.  

It's amazing how fast devices and their accessories disappear these days...
Considering the Zaurus's past popularity and still quite significant capabilities, it amazes me as well.  Perhaps this is due to the non-US status of many of the more popular/powerful models, but even the 5500 (which was available in US I believe) appears to have a very small following.    Kinda strange considering that many of the *really* old and (comparatively) slow Radioshack TRS-80 models seem to have many more sites/groups.  But then again, those were probably sold in the millions of units so percentage wise the active community may actually be about the same.

One thing that I think may eventually be the death knell for the Z is the availability of batteries.  And it seems that the 6000L is the poster child for that issue.  

[Begin Rant]
Why manufacturers cannot standardize on battery formats is beyond me...and why the government(s) have not mandated standardization is even more of a mystery.  For years we have had A, AA, AAA,C, and D cells as the primary battery sizes and 90% of devices could make due with those.  But now every single device has it's own shape, power, and pin requirements (even different for each generation of the same device).  Which is just absurd.  

I realize the old sizes may not be usable today, but I am also certain that a new group of standardized formats could be found to allow manufacturers to standardize on a group of about 10 or so (at most).  And let's not forget the AC adaptors that are all plugged into the walls sapping a trickle charge while waiting for the one dedicated device they serve.  Of course, the manufacturers cannot be expected to switch without being forced to, but that is why the governments need to push them... it's not a huge issue for them to switch and standardize, but since corporations are money-making institutions, not conscience beings, they look for competitive advantage and customer lock-in, which is at odds with any standardization mentality.  

Let's face it, the ecological impact of all these wasted batteries (and devices that must get tossed when batteries disappear) has got to be insanely huge and will only get worse over time.  

It will probably take a new generation of tech-savy (Facebook/iPhone/Android generation) politicians to start addressing these obvious flaws in our culture and pointless abuses to the environment and resources.  

Don't get me wrong, I love technology, I just wish we were just a little bit smarter in our execution.  

[End Rant]

Okay, I feel better, it was nice to get that off my chest...  sorry for the somewhat off-topic rant, but sometimes it is good to just let it out. ;-) ;-)
"You Shall Not Pass"    
C-860 (Cacko), 3x4gb MD  
DLINK 660W, 1GB SD,