Author Topic: Altboot Problem?  (Read 2270 times)

nitehawk

• View Profile
Altboot Problem?
« on: July 11, 2006, 11:04:51 am »
Hi,
SO I was playing with getting altboot to work - I wanted to do a direct install of 3.5.4 onto my SD card on my Collie.

This is what I did:

I am using a CF and an SD card that have been working without problems in the past on this collie. The SD card is formatted FAT16 (since I only have a Win box here at work)

- Since I wanted to have as little in the internal memory as possible, I decided to do this in conjuction with a fresh install, so I d/l the initrd.bin, zImage, and the opie-image-3.5.4-collie.rootfs.tar.gz files from the mirrors, and placed them (and only them) on my CF card.
 - Flashed the ROM (C+D).
 - On the first re-boot after flashing (and before I have ever booted into the newly flashed system), I bring up altboot, and select install from rootfs.tar.gz
 - I get no errors
 - It shows that it will use the rootfs.tar.gz from the CF card (correctly)
 - I tell it to install to my SD card
 - I tell it Direct Install
 - I tell it to Remove old Drectories
 - It starts "Installing rootfs"

Once that finishes, It asks me to click enter to start the altboot menu.

- I click enter and bring up the alt-boot menu
 - I select [3] boot off SD card

I then get the following errors:

Mounting rootfs rw...ok
Note: /proc is already mounted
Generating device files...OK
Loading SD kernel module...ok
Mounting /media/card...ok

Note: No boot-images found in [/media/card/boot-images]
Pivoting root .../etc/altboot-menu/15-bootSD: 384 echo: not found
/etc/altboot-menu/15-bootSD: 384: test: not found
/etc/altboot-menu/15-bootSD: 384: mkdir: not found
/etc/altboot-menu/15-bootSD: 384: mount: not found
/etc/altboot-menu/15-bootSD: 384: awk: not found
/etc/altboot-menu/15-bootSD: 384: grep: not found
/etc/altboot-menu/15-bootSD: 384: echo: not found

Thoughts?Advice?
Thanks,

snowfarthing

• View Profile
Altboot Problem?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 10:36:38 am »
When I tried installing both GPE and Opie on my SD card, I had similar problems.  After some trial and error, however, I tried the following:

First, under my regular Zaurus flash, I opened up "/etc/ altboot-2.4.cfg" using the text editor.

Then I found a line called that stated
Code: [Select]
SD_DEVICE="/dev/mmcda1"
and changed it to
Code: [Select]
SD_DEVICE="/dev/mmcda" .

I don't know if this will help.  For some reason, Altboot had problems recognizing the SD card with the 1 there, but found it just fine without.  Perhaps it's because my SD card has only one partition.

Also, as a caveat, I haven't booted my Zaurus from the SD card for some time, particularly since I lost some files.  I think it's a great idea! but it seems a little unstable to me right now.  I don't know when I'll be trying it again.  (Perhaps I should try running things from my CF card instead of my SD card!  I'll have to see...I'm still trying to figure out what the most stable setup would be.)
Zaurus SL5500 running OpenZaurus 3.5.4 with no network access.  :(   May dual-boot to other things someday...

CoreDump

• View Profile
    • http://www.hentges.net
Altboot Problem?
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 02:18:17 pm »
Hi,
SO I was playing with getting altboot to work - I wanted to do a direct install of 3.5.4 onto my SD card on my Collie.

This is what I did:

I am using a CF and an SD card that have been working without problems in the past on this collie. The SD card is formatted FAT16 (since I only have a Win box here at work)

- Since I wanted to have as little in the internal memory as possible, I decided to do this in conjuction with a fresh install, so I d/l the initrd.bin, zImage, and the opie-image-3.5.4-collie.rootfs.tar.gz files from the mirrors, and placed them (and only them) on my CF card.
 - Flashed the ROM (C+D).
 - On the first re-boot after flashing (and before I have ever booted into the newly flashed system), I bring up altboot, and select install from rootfs.tar.gz
 - I get no errors
 - It shows that it will use the rootfs.tar.gz from the CF card (correctly)
 - I tell it to install to my SD card
 - I tell it Direct Install
 - I tell it to Remove old Drectories
 - It starts "Installing rootfs"

Once that finishes, It asks me to click enter to start the altboot menu.

- I click enter and bring up the alt-boot menu
 - I select [3] boot off SD card

I then get the following errors:

Mounting rootfs rw...ok
Note: /proc is already mounted
Generating device files...OK
Loading SD kernel module...ok
Mounting /media/card...ok

Note: No boot-images found in [/media/card/boot-images]
Pivoting root .../etc/altboot-menu/15-bootSD: 384 echo: not found
/etc/altboot-menu/15-bootSD: 384: test: not found
/etc/altboot-menu/15-bootSD: 384: mkdir: not found
/etc/altboot-menu/15-bootSD: 384: mount: not found
/etc/altboot-menu/15-bootSD: 384: awk: not found
/etc/altboot-menu/15-bootSD: 384: grep: not found
/etc/altboot-menu/15-bootSD: 384: echo: not found

Thoughts?Advice?
Thanks,
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=134687\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

That usually means the rootfs on that card is already toast. Yay to all those idiotic "I hate ext2" SD cardfs. The only way around this is to buy another SD card..."
Webmaster of hentges.net & Embedded Linux Developer.

fooman

• View Profile
Altboot Problem?
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 02:59:01 pm »
Are there known brands of SD cards that work well with ext2?  I've been having some problems and I'm wondering if they're related to the quality of my SD card...

That usually means the rootfs on that card is already toast. Yay to all those idiotic "I hate ext2" SD cardfs. The only way around this is to buy another SD card..."
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136887\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
SL-C3000 running Cacko 1.23 Beta 1 with Tetsu's special Kernel v18b
Swapped out 4 GB Microdrive for 4 GB CF card
1 GB SanDisk Ultra II SD card with ext2 filesystem
128 MB swapfile on SD card
Ambicom 802.11b WiFi CF card
TRENDnet 10 Mbps Ethernet CF card

chrisl

• View Profile
    • http://web.mac.com/iepfreaks/iWeb/Site/Main%20Page.html
Altboot Problem?
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 11:35:04 pm »
Are there known brands of SD cards that work well with ext2?  I've been having some problems and I'm wondering if they're related to the quality of my SD card...

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136887\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136892\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Most folks around the net say that the Panasonic SD card is the best. I have had similar problems with my Lexar card. As a last ditch effort to get my machine to boot off of my Lexar SD card, I zeroed out my card, reinstalled an ext2 filesystem and then installed a tarball (I did it as a loop-file). The way I did it was by first flashing with a Crow ROM. During installation, it tells you that the SD card needs to be formatted with ext2 and it then drops you into a command line shell without the SD card mounted. I then press return and type "fdisk /dev/mmcda". It prompts you for a command, I type "w". I then zero the disk and install the ext2 filesystem using the instructions from the bottom of the Altboot faq on the OZ webstie: "http://www.openzaurus.org/wordpress/?s=loop-file&submit=Search". I then reflash using the Hentges ROM following the directions from the top of the faq.

Using this method might work and save you a few bucks by avoiding buying a more expensive panasonic card.

Chris--
Zaurus SL-5500, Kodak CF 32 & 256 MB, generic (pqi) 1 GB SD & polaroid 1 GB SD, tkc 2a3 with home on SD, Belkin F5D6060 CF WiFi Card, MacBook Pro 1.8 GHz Core Duo, OS X 10.4.10

InSearchOf

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://
Altboot Problem?
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 11:49:48 pm »
My Dane-Elec hasnt failed me yet....

Swap and /home... I used it to flash a NAND once and I havent had any problems with it...

Late
Sharp Zaurus SL-C3100 and SL-6000L
pdaXrom Developer
Please visit pdaXrom.org for updates
My Blog
IRC #pdaxrom @ FreeNode