Author Topic: Problem! Help!  (Read 3264 times)

Neverwinter

• View Profile
Problem! Help!
« on: January 27, 2005, 03:52:07 pm »
I have a C860 w/pdaXrom.  Here is what is displayed last on boot:

INIT: version 2.85 booting
INIT: cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit"
INIT: Entering runlevel: 5
INIT: cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc"
INIT: Id "1n" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

After this, I am not able to make any input.

This happened after I tried uninstalling some packages (randomly) and rebooted...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2005, 05:07:06 pm by Neverwinter »

adf

• View Profile
    • http://
Problem! Help!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 05:31:48 pm »
I saw that on my 5600 a few months ago.  I ended up reflashing.  Hopefully mine is not the best solution.
adf
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

**6000l  Tetsuized Sharprom, installed on internal flash only 1G sd, 2G cf

Neverwinter

• View Profile
Problem! Help!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 10:14:35 pm »
I saw that on my 5600 a few months ago.  I ended up reflashing.  Hopefully mine is not the best solution.
adf
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=64268\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

lol Yea...I think I will try to figure out what is wrong before reflashing....by the way, do you know how to reflash a C860?

Neverwinter

• View Profile
Problem! Help!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 10:19:38 pm »
I saw that on my 5600 a few months ago.  I ended up reflashing.  Hopefully mine is not the best solution.
adf
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=64268\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

lol Yea...I think I will try to figure out what is wrong before reflashing.  I think it might have something to do w/installing packages....by the way, do you know how to reflash a C860?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=64290\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

adf

• View Profile
Problem! Help!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 11:10:12 pm »
if it's the same as the 750, then rename the zimage to zImage.bin, rename the jffs file to initrd.bin. Stick those two on the CF/SD card with the updater.sh and go from there.

so, you need an updater, a zImage.bin and an initrd.bin on a cf or sd card. then  I guess reboot holding "ok"..... or whatever gets you into your menu.

I have never actually seen a clamshell, let alone flashed one. the first bit there was from someone else who has one in a discussion of booting the 6000.
hope that helps
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

**6000l  Tetsuized Sharprom, installed on internal flash only 1G sd, 2G cf

Neverwinter

• View Profile
Problem! Help!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2005, 02:43:04 am »
if it's the same as the 750, then rename the zimage to zImage.bin, rename the jffs file to initrd.bin. Stick those two on the CF/SD card with the updater.sh and go from there.

so, you need an updater, a zImage.bin and an initrd.bin on a cf or sd card. then  I guess reboot holding "ok"..... or whatever gets you into your menu.

I have never actually seen a clamshell, let alone flashed one. the first bit there was from someone else who has one in a discussion of booting the 6000.
hope that helps
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=64293\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Thanks...I just ordered a 2 GB CF card, so I have to wait till next week to try this out.

Anyone know how to flash a C860?  Holding down the OK button doesn't seem to work...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2005, 04:19:27 pm by Neverwinter »

Neverwinter

• View Profile
Problem! Help!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005, 06:54:59 pm »
*BUMP*  If anyone else has any idea how to get to the service menu, please let me know.  Here are two ways I have read about and tried but didn't work:

1) turn off PDA, unlock battery cover, hold "d" and "m", lock battery cover, let go of "d"and "m"  (nothing happens)

2) turn off PDA, hold "d" & "m" and press on/home  (nothing happens)

Miami_Bob

• View Profile
Problem! Help!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2005, 12:07:27 am »
*BUMP*  If anyone else has any idea how to get to the service menu, please let me know.  Here are two ways I have read about and tried but didn't work:

1) turn off PDA, unlock battery cover, hold "d" and "m", lock battery cover, let go of "d"and "m"  (nothing happens)

2) turn off PDA, hold "d" & "m" and press on/home  (nothing happens)
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=65455\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

If you can get into any working OS just tell it to reboot or restart then immediately hold the D & M keys. The screen should dim then the Diags Menu should come up. THEN you can release the D & M keys. Do NOT hold the OK or HOME keys when you do this.

If you can NOT get into a working OS, pull the battery & leave it out for about 5 min. Put it back in, replace the back cover, flip the switch to the lock position while holding the D & M keys & hit the rear power button. Again, the screen should dim then the Diags Menu should come up. Then you can release the D & M keys. Yhe first method is less cumbersome to execute is all. Otherwise, same same.

This menu is different than the one you get using the OK+PwrON sequence. It is usually used (by folks here) to make & restore NAND backup images. You "exit" an operation with the backspace key.

The OK-PwrON menu is in Japanese & used to flash installer script ROMs (3 files as a rule).

But be *very* cautious. Some of the options in the Diags Menus have been reported to totally hoze the Z. Your own risk, amigo.
Bob W - Miami FL
--------------------
"The legs of the duck are short and
 cannot be lengthened without distress
 to the duck.

The legs of the crane are long and
 cannot be shortened without distress
 to the crane."

Chuang-tzu

--------------------
C860 main - Sharp 1.40 JP ROM
Language conversion by hand

alts: Cacko 1.22 / OZ 3.5.1 / pdaXrom
512Mb SanDisk SD (x2) / 512Mb SanDisk CF (x2)
Lexar 1Gb CF / AmbiCom WL1100C-CF 802.11b WiFi

Out of Hp200LX, from HP100LX, via HP95LX
--------------------
Desktop MegaTower c/ twin DataPort HD racks;
12 removable HDs with multi OSs - no waiting.

--------------------

Neverwinter

• View Profile
Problem! Help!
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2005, 12:22:24 am »
Shez...I give up.  I am going to sell this PDA.  What I *did* do was I tried the 4th option from the boot menu, and flashed the PDA w/3 files (updater.sh, etc.), and now have OpenZaurus running.  But this PDA is too complicated.  Not that I can't operate it (I'm a programmer) but it doesn't function as simply as a PPC.  Simplicity is what I need.

wmadan

• View Profile
Problem! Help!
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2005, 01:13:33 am »
I would flash the Cacko 1.22 ROM. It is the simplest ROM of the bunch. There are excellent instructions on how to flash the ROM. Stick with your Z, it is definitely worth the time you put into it.

If you need help, post in the Sharp ROM forum and the legion of ZUG faithful will help you through it.

There is a lot of joy in the journey.

Bill

lareya

• View Profile
Problem! Help!
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2005, 04:44:15 am »
I would second that!  I am definitely NOT a techie, but once I installed cacko on my sweet sl-c860 this little baby does everything I want it to do.  I play games, have calendaring, go online either ethernet or wireless, and even play with programing in Ruby.  It took a little bit of play for me at the start - cuz I had absolutely NO experience with Linux, but I forged on ahead, read a lot, and asked some questions.  Now I couldn't be happier (okay, maybe I could w/ built in wi-fi/bluetooth, 10gb hard drive, easier way to voice record memo's, but......ah anyway.  Persistence made me especially happy with my pda.

Lareya
SL-C3000: un-bricked (Thanks to Cresho!)
C-860: pdxRom

Miami_Bob

• View Profile
Problem! Help!
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2005, 05:48:00 am »
Not that I can't operate it (I'm a programmer) ....
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=65497\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Ah, but of which school?

How many linux programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

- As many as you want; they're all virtual anyhow.

How many Windows ©(t) programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

- None; they just declare another new standard.

How many OS/2 programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

- "I think thats a driver problem ....."

How many Mac programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

- They can't. Its a hardware failure.

How many DOS programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

- One. Why?

Ta da dummmmp (G).

(sorry, couldn't resist)
Bob W - Miami FL
--------------------
"The legs of the duck are short and
 cannot be lengthened without distress
 to the duck.

The legs of the crane are long and
 cannot be shortened without distress
 to the crane."

Chuang-tzu

--------------------
C860 main - Sharp 1.40 JP ROM
Language conversion by hand

alts: Cacko 1.22 / OZ 3.5.1 / pdaXrom
512Mb SanDisk SD (x2) / 512Mb SanDisk CF (x2)
Lexar 1Gb CF / AmbiCom WL1100C-CF 802.11b WiFi

Out of Hp200LX, from HP100LX, via HP95LX
--------------------
Desktop MegaTower c/ twin DataPort HD racks;
12 removable HDs with multi OSs - no waiting.

--------------------