Author Topic: AC adapter doesn\'t give an SL-C760 a full charge in the USA  (Read 10000 times)

ev1l

• View Profile
    • http://bbshuffle.blogspot.com/
AC adapter doesn\'t give an SL-C760 a full charge in the USA
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2004, 07:45:29 pm »
The EA-72 Sharp charger than came with my C860 always charges to 100% and the Zaurus light goes from amber to green when charging is done.
Weird, I have a EA-70S, but I never remember seeing the battery light switching to green.

jepjepjep

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2004, 12:57:32 pm »
I just bought a brand new SL-C860 a few days ago.  Using the stock EA-72 charger takes a really long time to charge.  I've never seen the led turn green.  It shows amber while charging, then turns off.

Joe

mspencer

• View Profile
    • http://mspencer.net
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2004, 04:37:42 am »
If our machines' battery charge lights had different colors, wouldn't the D+M menu demonstrate that if you do a hardware test?

--Michael Spencer

Miami_Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2004, 05:03:50 pm »
Ditto on both my C860s. Amber while charging, off when complete, blinking if no battery (bad battery??).
Bob W - Miami FL
--------------------
"The legs of the duck are short and
 cannot be lengthened without distress
 to the duck.

The legs of the crane are long and
 cannot be shortened without distress
 to the crane."

Chuang-tzu

--------------------
C860 main - Sharp 1.40 JP ROM
Language conversion by hand

alts: Cacko 1.22 / OZ 3.5.1 / pdaXrom
512Mb SanDisk SD (x2) / 512Mb SanDisk CF (x2)
Lexar 1Gb CF / AmbiCom WL1100C-CF 802.11b WiFi

Out of Hp200LX, from HP100LX, via HP95LX
--------------------
Desktop MegaTower c/ twin DataPort HD racks;
12 removable HDs with multi OSs - no waiting.

--------------------

sbbloom69

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2005, 11:37:01 am »
One other thing to consider.  The power input to ALL the Zaurus's is finicky, both low voltage AND HIGH Voltage.  I tried a few other regulated power supplies that I had, around 4 to 6 volts.

The 5 volts works best.  the "4.5 volt" high output (2 amps) supply worked well.  The nominal 6volt supply I had wouldn't work.  A charger output of greater-than 5.5 volts will prevent charging just like less than 4.5 volts.  

The zaurus, especially the SL-CXXX versions take a lot of power to run, and to charge a near dead battery.  A simple Walmart 500 millamp charger won't cut it.  It may charge the battery only (with unit off), but probably won't allow the zaurus to run and charge the battery.

I noticed that the charger that came with my SL-C700 (tiny) will run and apparently charge my older smaller battery, but the charge light never goes out (indicating the charge completion) unless I turn the unit off for awhile.  My old Casio Cassiopiea charger (also 4.5 to 5 volts) but 2.0 amps (2000milliamps). Runs and charges my battery, but the charge eventually finishes (light goes out), even while running.  These newer little tiny chargers aren't the el-cheapo transformer / regulator type supplies, they are what is know as a "switching" supply.  The end result is the physical size is much smaller than the older type of the same power rating.  

Be careful.  I have heard horror stories of ruining Zauruses with sub-standard generic chargers and/or using the universal types and getting the polarity wrong.  Also, don't use the cheaper "unregulated" 12v car adapters to charge in your car, especially while starting the car.

Stu