Author Topic: For Sale: Zaurus C860  (Read 4697 times)

Neverwinter

• View Profile
For Sale: Zaurus C860
« on: February 04, 2005, 12:35:48 am »
Hi.  Anyone want my Zaurus C860?  I give up...the device is not simple enough for my needs.  So I have it up for sale now.  Actually I have only had it for a few weeks, and bought it off of someone from this same forum (Dan Z?  or P?).  It works great and has OpenZaurus installed.  Here is what I will include:

-- Zaurus C860 w/OpenZaurus
-- 64 MB SD Card
-- 1700 mAh battery
-- PDAir 3-in-1 stylus
-- PDAir case (nice leather case that protects bottom and top of PDA)
-- Otterbox case (really hard plastic case)
-- USB sync & charge retractable cable
-- USB sync cord
-- AC Adapter (US)
-- Compact Flash Digital Camera

PRICE: $515 + FREE SHIPPING
PAYMENT: USA MONEY ORDER
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 12:41:45 am by Neverwinter »

Neverwinter

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 12:45:19 am »
I'm still selling (just in case you noticed what this post said before I just edited it right now).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 02:15:04 am by Neverwinter »

bluedevils

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 11:07:25 am »
Did you try the cacko rom?  It seems you went to all that trouble to get the Z and you've given up without a real fight.  The cacko/sharp rom is the most user friendly of the roms.  OZ and pdaxrom are more powerful, but the cacko should be you first stop.
I'm now an iphone user and use my zaurii as serial terminals, perl and shell scripting and when I need 640x480 screens

sl-c3100/pda cacko 1.23 | sl-6000l/needs battery | sl-c760/server pdaxrom rc12 | Former sl-5500/tkcrom owner (sister's birthday gift)

bethanyb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 11:16:25 am »
Hi,

I'd like to buy it from you.  I live in the Bay Area, so it should be straightforward. Please reply here or email me, but I can't access my email once I get to work--only this website.

I'm new to the Zaurus too and am curious what made it discouraging for you.

--bethany

P.S. I read your posts about having difficulty with flashing the ROM, getting to the service menu, etc.... Is that all straightened out? I'm a little wary as I'm new to Linux and wouldn't know where to start with flashing a ROM.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 08:11:40 pm by bethanyb »
C860 with Cacko 1.23
iMac G5, syncing with ZMacSync

Neverwinter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2005, 02:40:15 am »
Hi,

I'd like to buy it from you.  I live in the Bay Area, so it should be straightforward. Please reply here or email me, but I can't access my email once I get to work--only this website.

I'm new to the Zaurus too and am curious what made it discouraging for you.

--bethany

P.S. I read your posts about having difficulty with flashing the ROM, getting to the service menu, etc.... Is that all straightened out? I'm a little wary as I'm new to Linux and wouldn't know where to start with flashing a ROM.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=65569\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Hi.  Bay Area?  Is that near San Fransico or San Juan?  I live in Victorville, CA which is 2 hours NE of LA, CA.  Well, I use a PDA to write notes, ideas, to do lists, reminders (just the basic stuff).  Then I decided that I want to use a PDA to practice programming w/ (for example, while waiting at a doctors office).  So that is why I bought the C860.  After using it, it seems fine for programming, but a little too powerful for basic stuff like to do lists, keeping notes, etc.  I just like the simplicity of the Pocket PC.  Heck, if Palm OS based PDAs had good handrecoginition like MS PPCs, then I would get a Palm OS PDA, because it is so simple to use.  Even though I am a programmer, I need something simpler.  I think I will choose a PDA w/out the programming functionalities because I figured that I might not really be that productive with it.

Oh yea, about flashing the ROM.  I did it.  But I didn't use the Service Menus that everyone talks about...I used the Boot Menu.  When I recieved it, it had pdaXrom, but when I flashed it, I flashed it w/OpenZaurus and now it runs OpenZaurus (flashing involves 3 different files).  But about how to get to the Service Menu, I was never able to get it right... so I have no idea how to do it... Shez, even right now, I have no idea what PDA I am going to buy.  Actually I probably should of stuck w/my first PDA which was a h1945.

Oh yea, what is your email address?  Mine is MY_NEWSLETTER@HOTMAIL.COM
« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 02:45:22 am by Neverwinter »

Curious Aardvark

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2005, 11:44:39 am »
Yep them service menus are odd - Mine only showed up when I had power cable in, battery compartment switch to OFF and held down d & m keys and replaced battery (helps if you have 3 hands). If I had the battery switch to on (as in instructions) - nothing happened.

It's a shame you've given up though. Had my 860 2 weeks, writing's back on track after 2 years with tiny 5500 keyboard. There really isn't such a thing as a too powerful pda, but there certainly are a lot out there that are pretty useless (ie: every single one without a keyboard).
:-)

And bethany - don't worry it only looks difficult to set the software up because it's scattered across so many threads and most of these people are linux heads (no offence) and used to this kind of nonsense in their everyday computers :-)
I'm not slagging linux (I know how sensitive you all are) but it's pretty hands on compared with microcrap and that's off putting for most people :-)

You will notice many threads about problems with cacko rom and almost none about problems with sharp rom (I've had none so far). Start with that, you'll probably end up sticking with it - but there is plenty of choice if you want something a little more teckie :-)

As for neverwinter, drop me a line if you want some untechnical advice on roms etc :-)
Zaurus: 5500 & c860. 512mb bytestor hi-speed sd card. 256mb lexar cf, 128mb kodak cf, 128mb lexar sd, pink origo wireless cf card (faster than usb stick on my laptop) Car charger, usb sync/charger cable, fastest thumbs in the west ! :-)
Sharp roms on both.

seed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2005, 12:24:57 pm »
i am  interessed but i am in canada montreal but the price is... is ur price definitive    or can i espect a reduction ... ? will u ready ton ship ? is it the only payment method available ??
thank
u can mail me at souldadguy2@hotmail.com
contact me at souldadguy2@hotmail.com

Neverwinter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2005, 01:52:42 pm »
Hey wussup.  Sorry for not replying any sooner guys.  The Windows installation for my laptop keeps crashing, so I can never start it up.  I just ordered a USB laptop HDD case to fix it, and am download Knoppix to use for internet access.  Yea, all you guys got some good points.  I just sold it to Bethany.  Yea, it's one of the greatest PDAs out there...but I think I will stick w/a PPC, probably a Dell.  Well...when Sharp makes a PDA that actually has wi-fi built in, and is thinner, someday maybe you guys will see me on this forum.  Take care.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2005, 01:57:04 pm by Neverwinter »

Neverwinter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2005, 01:53:32 pm »
i am  interessed but i am in canada montreal but the price is... is ur price definitive    or can i espect a reduction ... ? will u ready ton ship ? is it the only payment method available ??
thank
u can mail me at souldadguy2@hotmail.com
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=65853\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Sorry man, just sold it to Bethany...

Neverwinter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2005, 06:15:16 pm »
Yep them service menus are odd - Mine only showed up when I had power cable in, battery compartment switch to OFF and held down d & m keys and replaced battery (helps if you have 3 hands). If I had the battery switch to on (as in instructions) - nothing happened.

It's a shame you've given up though. Had my 860 2 weeks, writing's back on track after 2 years with tiny 5500 keyboard. There really isn't such a thing as a too powerful pda, but there certainly are a lot out there that are pretty useless (ie: every single one without a keyboard).
:-)

And bethany - don't worry it only looks difficult to set the software up because it's scattered across so many threads and most of these people are linux heads (no offence) and used to this kind of nonsense in their everyday computers :-)
I'm not slagging linux (I know how sensitive you all are) but it's pretty hands on compared with microcrap and that's off putting for most people :-)

You will notice many threads about problems with cacko rom and almost none about problems with sharp rom (I've had none so far). Start with that, you'll probably end up sticking with it - but there is plenty of choice if you want something a little more teckie :-)

As for neverwinter, drop me a line if you want some untechnical advice on roms etc :-)
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=65844\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

lol hey thanks.  Yea, a lot of what you say is very true.  Too bad I didn't find the original Sharp ROM CD before actually selling the PDA to Bethany, but I currently sending it to her anyways.  Thanks though.

Neverwinter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2005, 06:17:08 pm »
Did you try the cacko rom?  It seems you went to all that trouble to get the Z and you've given up without a real fight.  The cacko/sharp rom is the most user friendly of the roms.  OZ and pdaxrom are more powerful, but the cacko should be you first stop.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=65566\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

You know what's odd?  I was looking for the Cacko ROM, came to an all white website supposively w/Cacko ROM, and downloaded it and reflashed my PDA....I ended up w/Open Zaurus... but oh well, thanks though, I no longer have the PDA anymore.  Take care.

Neverwinter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2005, 06:09:02 pm »
SORRY GUYS, JUST SOLD IT TO BETHANY!