Author Topic: Sound From Sl5500's Internal Speaker  (Read 5849 times)

brownb2

• View Profile
Sound From Sl5500's Internal Speaker
« on: February 06, 2005, 04:05:59 pm »
I want to be able to play music (from any player doesn't matter what) from my SL5500's speaker. I know that if I install OZ I can do this (as I've tried it in the past) but I'd like to keep the Sharp ROM  - has the driver been back ported and if so how would I use it?
Utilities like buzconfig can play audio through the SL5500's cruddy piezo (sp?) speaker  on the Sharp ROM so it shouldn't be that difficult....?

Hrw

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 05:39:52 am »
driver was ported to 2.4.18 but it's usage kill all alarms, keyclicks etc sounds so we dont use it in OZ 3.5.x
OpenZaurus 3.5.4x Release Manager
OpenEmbedded, Ångström, Poky developer
My website

Misc embedded hardware.

brownb2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 10:39:49 am »
I'm looking to use it with Sharp ROM 3.13 where can I get hold of the kernal binary with it compiled into and how would I install/use it? (I'm more interested in tinny mp3 playback than keyclicks etc).

Thanks.

driver was ported to 2.4.18 but it's usage kill all alarms, keyclicks etc sounds so we dont use it in OZ 3.5.x
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=65942\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

brownb2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 05:49:57 pm »
Can anyone help with this?
Is this just a case of finding a module and adding it or replacing the Sharp 2.4.18 kernel with the OZ 2.4.18 kernel?
If it can't be done is it possible to still use the internal speaker driver in OZ 3.5 by manually by linking /dev/dsp to /dev/dsp1 (as was done in the past)?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2005, 05:50:26 pm by brownb2 »

Hrw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 06:07:35 pm »
You can grab patch from OpenEmbedded metadata and recompile kernel with it.

Probably config of the kernel have to be changed (sound have to be in modules with that patch).

And simple linking is not possible in OZ 3.5.x - I wrote why.
OpenZaurus 3.5.4x Release Manager
OpenEmbedded, Ångström, Poky developer
My website

Misc embedded hardware.

thesing

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 06:15:31 pm »
Hi,

some time ago I compiled a kernel with the buzzer-patch and modules. They worked with OZ 3.3.6 but I don't know if the work with the Sharp-Rom. But you can try

The url is:
www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~tkunze/zaurus

Good luck.

Thomas
Cheers,
Thomas

SL5500G Angstrom-unstable with Kernel 2.6 in devellopment
C3100 mostly occupied by my girlfriend ;)

brownb2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 03:53:23 pm »
I'm off to try this now however I expected to see the Z kernel in /boot and found nothing. A quick locate found nothing of interest except modules and libs directories. As I'm still a linux amateur where would I find the kernel - I'm still googling as we speak....?

Hi,

some time ago I compiled a kernel with the buzzer-patch and modules. They worked with OZ 3.3.6 but I don't know if the work with the Sharp-Rom. But you can try

The url is:

Good luck.

Thomas
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66192\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

brownb2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2005, 04:13:30 pm »
I give up - too much like hard work this. I've no development environment, no idea how drivers in linux work save knowing that they are modules and/or can be compiled into the kernel and I'm not even sure I can replace the kernel  (let alone which file in the directory you provided (thanks btw) is the actual replacement kernel).
I naively thought the kernel expanded into an internal ram location on hard reset, and that I could replace this with one from the mentioned directory.

Thanks for the help anyhow

I'm off to try this now however I expected to see the Z kernel in /boot and found nothing. A quick locate found nothing of interest except modules and libs directories. As I'm still a linux amateur where would I find the kernel - I'm still googling as we speak....?

Hi,

The url is:

Good luck.

Thomas
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66192\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66316\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Mickeyl

• View Profile
    • http://www.Vanille.de
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 05:43:38 pm »

On systems with sane bootloaders, your assumption would be correct. Unfortunately, on the Zaurus the bootloader is pretty crippled and it reads the kernel from a dedicated partition on the flash (which contains no filesystem, it's just another mtdblock) - instead of from the root file system :/
Cheers,

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer | Embedded Linux Freelancer | www.Vanille-Media.de
Consider donating, if you like the software I contribute to.

\Kritikal\

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2005, 02:43:59 pm »
This is a feature that I'd like too. Is it possible to implement it in a later release?

Mickeyl

• View Profile
    • http://www.Vanille.de
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2005, 06:54:53 pm »
Pragmatically spoken, no. Bootloader work is even harder than kernel work and for the latter we have at least source code.
Cheers,

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer | Embedded Linux Freelancer | www.Vanille-Media.de
Consider donating, if you like the software I contribute to.