Author Topic: Cacko3k Feedback  (Read 212748 times)

iamasmith

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #105 on: April 27, 2005, 08:59:07 am »
Update on issues and release roadmap..

For Beta1 - REAL soon.

nslookup (real version, not busybox), dig, whois and traceroute to be added. - Tested - Done
Replace unzip (link) with app. - Tested - Done
Remove the Shift toggle from keyhelper.xml - Tested - Done
addressbook fixed by using the addressbook.so from Cacko 1.22 + liben.so.1.1.0 from Cacko 1.22 (linked to so.1.1, so.1 and so) - Tested - Done
voice recorder to be added from 860 build. - Tested - Done
Media Player is screwed... missed pic144 directory... simple fix. - Tested - Done
Memory Monitor applet.. swapfile bits. - fixed in patch - just include. - Tested - Done
Remove samba from /etc/rc.d/init.d otherwise inetd dies when you sync. - Tested - Done

For cefrnr build

On critical path for cefrnr....

Possibly a second Beta?
Battery/CPU Frequency Application. - I'm now looking at this.
Update the installer - make it zero and initialise the user partitions.
Persue the Qtopia crash (when I can make it happen.... kahm??)
Opera to be added when we come to a decision over 7.25/7.55 use.
More testing folks!

cefrnr merge back with Maslovsky's SL-C1000 ROM based stuff to produce official Cacko 3K ROM

On critical path for official Cacko 3K - Maslovsky producing SL-C1000 ROM

BTW: I'm assuming that nobody REALLY wants to burn DVDs across a USB 1.1 link so I made a snap decision not to build the dvd-tools package too.

- Andy
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 11:06:32 am by iamasmith »
OpenBSD 4.2 -current on full 4Gb of SL-C3000
Microdrive replaced with 4Gb SanDisk Extreme III card

albertr

• View Profile
    • http://
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #106 on: April 27, 2005, 09:24:19 am »
Does anyone have Cack's ROM 1.22 filesystems as a tarball?
-albertr
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77100\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Please clarify Albert... is this appropriate to this thread or the 3K at all ?

- Andy
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77101\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Oops, sorry, wrong thread...
-albertr

iamasmith

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #107 on: April 27, 2005, 10:37:53 am »
Ok, Euroclie. The opera package doesn't seem to handle https connections properly. It actually fails to load completely a https connection with a http-basic-authentication challenge.

[update]The http-basic-auth on https seems to be an issue for 7.25 too[/update]

The issues with the black dots on the Bookmarks and Help icons can be shortcut by simply removing those XPMs. Opera then uses the PNG files and they don't show the dots.

In fact it seems you can remove almost all the XPMs except for one which controls the look of the blank square over on the right of the NAV bar.... looks distinctly splodgy without the xpms in the directory (was too lazy to find out which one).

I think I'm inclined to leave Opera off the list until we have really settled this.

Oh BTW: haven't heard a peep about Bluez... did anyone try it? It works for me without any hitches it would be nice to know that at least one other person has tested.

Cheers,

Andy
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 11:02:55 am by iamasmith »

kahm

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #108 on: April 27, 2005, 12:01:41 pm »
kahm,

It should be pretty easy to sync the versions of these utilities with the 1.22 versions, that's not a problem. - We might however get Sharp packages that assume some particular type of behaviour from these utils so I would be inclined to stick with the 3K versions at the moment.

I more or less agree. I'm just there to point out that it is breaking compatibility with existing ipkgs. There is *no* way anyone's successfully installed this Apache package on a 3k without doing it by hand.

As you point out though. If you want a 3K Sharp ROM friendly IPK though I don't see any other option than to check the bash version and work accordingly... strictly I don't see a necessity to redirect stderr or stdout during preinst/postinst as installation through the Add/Remove tool isn't going to display these messages anyway. - unless you need to output these results to something that you can act upon (temporary file).

It may only be the stderr redirection. Regardless, it is just a visual thing. I haven't dug into many ipks to see how prevalent it is. It appears to be a very common thing among experienced bash coders - it's one of the first things they show you in the coding manual. I just hope we don't end up having to rebuild 1/3 of the ipkgs out there to work.

The thing about addgroup is more annoying and geniunely broken. I can't see a lot of programs using it though.

BTW: How did you get QKconsole to appear in a floating window in the screenshot? I didn't know it supported that feature.

Right click on the title bar of an app with a mouse - there are a whole bunch of normally inaccessible options.
Fujitsu U8240 "Stormtrooper" -  Zaurus Supplement
Libretto U100 | Sony Librie, Sony Reader
SL-C3100: Sharp 1.11JP (Kanji Dictionary/Translator) - LCD Top swap with C1000.
SL-C3000: pdaXii13 5.4.7, SL-C3000 5.4.9 - microdrive replaced with 8gb Sandisk
SL-C1000: PDAXRom Beta3 | SL-6000L: Sharp 1.12 | SL-5500: Cacko, 64-0 kernel | SL-5000D: OZ-Opie
Linksys WCF12; Sharp CE-AG06, CE-RH2, CE-170TS; iRiver USB OTG Host cable; Socket BT rev.E CF; Hitachi 6gb Microdrive

kahm

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #109 on: April 27, 2005, 12:16:08 pm »
I think I'm inclined to leave Opera off the list until we have really settled this.

With an easy to install ipkg, it might be best to leave Opera for the feed for the time being. We'll have time to iron out the best version of the two if we aren't worrying about direct inclusion in the rom.

Oh BTW: haven't heard a peep about Bluez... did anyone try it? It works for me without any hitches it would be nice to know that at least one other person has tested.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77129\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I've got a couple of socket revE cards, but I haven't got them doing anything useful under 1.22 yet, never mind tried them on the 3000.
SL-C1000: PDAXRom Beta3 | SL-6000L: Sharp 1.12 | SL-5500: Cacko, 64-0 kernel | SL-5000D: OZ-Opie
Linksys WCF12; Sharp CE-AG06, CE-RH2, CE-170TS; iRiver USB OTG Host cable; Socket BT rev.E CF; Hitachi 6gb Microdrive

steliosx

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #110 on: April 27, 2005, 12:41:39 pm »
kahm! just a quick question since in one of these photos, namely http://www3.telus.net/~ranko/pdaarmy.JPG , I managed to find a D-Link DBT-120 USB Bluetooth Adapter ! I own one and im really satisfied with it, any chance you can check whether its working under cacko3k ?

would be so, so perfect if it worked!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 12:41:57 pm by steliosx »

iamasmith

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #111 on: April 27, 2005, 12:44:17 pm »
BTW: How did you get QKconsole to appear in a floating window in the screenshot? I didn't know it supported that feature.
Right click on the title bar of an app with a mouse - there are a whole bunch of normally inaccessible options.
[div align=\"right\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I like that!

(I'm wondering now if I could produce an applet to send a right click with the Stylus...hmmm)

Anyway. slc3kb1 is now up on the site for general download - you can get it from [a href=\"http://bryandeluca.com/cacko/c3000]http://bryandeluca.com/cacko/c3000[/url]

Thanks again guys.

Let the fun begin.

- Andy

steliosx

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #112 on: April 27, 2005, 12:52:00 pm »
great news! thanks for making this baby publicly available!

gonna get it and provide some input guys. thanks again!

iamasmith

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2005, 01:22:25 pm »
Release notes for the beta1 ROM are as follows...

Release notes of the Cacko SL-C3000 pre-release Beta 1 ROM

Specifications

locale.conf switchover - default En, London/Europe
Hancomword updated to 1.6 - stock SL-C3000 on 1.11JP ROM was v1.0
Updated Cacko Card monitor. Implements SL-C3000 checking and hides HDD + Implements USB storage eject. - Automount of USB storage also included* (see note)
sudo
suspend/resume script architecture
Bluez Scripts from Cacko ROM
Bluez Dialup and PAN applets from Cacko ROM
OpenSSH
SAMBA configured to start from inetd
Cacko Antialias Fonts
Cyrillic Input method
Input Helper - Should autodetect a mouse connected to USB
Music Player 2 from Sharp
Escape to shell prior to Qtopia launch (hit / during 5 second countdown)
Tetsu Special Kernel 17h including all modules (Bluetooth and iptables etc)
Various useful command additions (file, strings, ar, nm, bzip2, zip and many more)
fdisk 2.12a
Voice Recorder from 860
cdr-tools package including mkisofs, cdrecord etc... yep it really works !
traceroute 1.4a12
whois 4.7.1
Bind utils from BIND 9.3.1 (host, dig, nslookup, nsupdate)
eject (USE IT if manually handling USB storage)
squashfs module and mksquashfs utility (2.1r2)
Removal of the Japanese support** (see note)
ICONS

About the installation process...

This is important!

This ROM will erase ALL of your personal data and ALL of the Sharp ROM.

Make sure you have whatever backup you need to ensure correct recovery - this is your responsibility.. suggest that you have a copy of the Sharp 1.11JP ROM install, a NAND flash image of the current ROM state and a user backup... assuming that you are on Sharp 1.11JP ROM then you should be able to completely recover by..

i. NAND flash restore.

ii. Sharp Upgrade.

iii. Device zero process (option 3, then 1 from the OK menu).

iv. Restore user backup.

Actually I don't do anything with the flash sizes on this release so the NAND flash is probably not needed but advised for completeness. The Sharp Upgrade should restore as closely as possible the basic shipped state.

To install copy all files to a CF or SD card, insert into the Zaurus and follow these steps.

1. Remove power and battery.

2. Reconnect power and battery and ensure the battery door switch is in the ON position (closed).

3. Hold down the OK button and power on.

4. Select option 4 from the Japanese menu then select either SD or CF from the next menu. You will then be prompted to confirm - hit Y.

The ROM will then install then you MUST do the following....

As soon as the install has completed re-enter the OK menu and select option 3, then 1. This will erase the user portion of the flash and hdd and extract the rest of the ROM. This will be encorporated into the user install process later.

Known issues/omissions from the Cacko ROM.

Opera - May add it in, don't like it but it's a finicky install on the 3000. may add it for ease of use by the user.
KEYSWITCHER script into inittab ! ? - This IS a beta ROM. KeyHelper/Cyrillic Input works whilst in Qtopia.
Battery/CPU Frequency Application - Probably wait until Anton has his 3000, don't like overclocking anyway.
The kernel is quite 'chatty' at startup particularly if you have an SD card in the slot. Ignore SD messages and ignore jffs2 messages - that's particularly chatty and what looks serious almost certainly isn't even an issue.
The application buttons are NOT preconfigured. Go to the settings tab and select your preferences. This is a good old 'can't be bothered to fix it' that also appears in the standard Cacko ROM.

Notes
* For USB storage to work your device must be partitioned and the automounter will use /dev/sda1. Many USB pen drives do NOT come pre-partitioned. Simply create a partition table with fdisk and format these devices and everything should be fine. I've done some testing and partitioning a pen drive like this retains Windows compatibility.

** Japanese support has been removed, this includes the CRIM, translator and dictionary applications and libraries. At this stage we are working on the best way of creating a non-japanese ROM but could add those bits back in easily later with the new build structure. There's a good reason to remove them and that is the SL-C3000 Sharp ROM hooks the libCRL and other translation libraries at various points - without the libraries installed the unit functions perfectly whilst set to an EN locale. With the libraries installed and set to EN then several mojibake artifacts remain (squares replacing characters in entire text blocks - notably WLAN config, Tab Settings, File Finder - some of these disappear if you preload the addressbook, some don't). So for now, for non JP use I have removed them. I anticipate that we will modify the script that generates the ROM later to skip their removal and simply revert the unit back to Japanese.

kahm

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2005, 01:56:52 pm »
  I like that!

(I'm wondering now if I could produce an applet to send a right click with the Stylus...hmmm)
- Andy
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77176\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Someone on the 6000 board a while back had said that they had found it with keyhelper and not a mouse.

iamasmith

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2005, 02:14:33 pm »
Actually, since it was pushed to the previous page on the forum I should perhaps highlight the following additions to the ROM....

cdr-tools package including mkisofs, cdrecord etc.
traceroute 1.4a12
whois 4.7.1
Bind utils from BIND 9.3.1 (host, dig, nslookup, nsupdate)

steliosx

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2005, 02:22:35 pm »
sorry, forgot to ask, will this rom work on C1000 ?  or its C3000-only?

iamasmith

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #117 on: April 27, 2005, 02:35:33 pm »
sorry, forgot to ask, will this rom work on C1000 ?  or its C3000-only?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77206\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Sorry, it probably almost contains all the correct binaries for a C1000 but it's layout is for a Hard Disk install.

steliosx

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #118 on: April 27, 2005, 02:37:11 pm »
k, so we just wait  

thanks and please keep up the great work!

kahm

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #119 on: April 27, 2005, 02:40:44 pm »
kahm! just a quick question since in one of these photos, namely http://www3.telus.net/~ranko/pdaarmy.JPG , I managed to find a D-Link DBT-120 USB Bluetooth Adapter ! I own one and im really satisfied with it, any chance you can check whether its working under cacko3k ?

would be so, so perfect if it worked!
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77174\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Nope. I didn't have an BT cards when I got the 3k, so the D-link was one of the first things I looked at. It doesn't work, and I seem to recall that it did something funny the the whole USB system when I tried.

I'll be looking into whether it can be made to work a little later. I've got a lot on my plate at the moment...