Author Topic: Cacko3k Feedback  (Read 212753 times)

euroclie

• View Profile
    • http://
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #150 on: May 01, 2005, 11:31:32 am »
OK, today I decided to play again with my GSM/GPRS CF Card. Last time I tried that, with alpha, I suffered all sort of weird problems (bus errors, most of the executables couldn't be found anymore by the shell). Subsequently, I encountered a lot of strange things (file & process ownership were wrong, so Tab Setting application and swap stuff were broken) until I reinstalled alpha from scratch.

Today when I inserted the GSM/GPRS CF card (EagleTec GSM/GPRS CF+), I simply got a wild and instantaneous reboot, with a 5 second countdown that looped again and again. I had to press the reset switch to get out of it (didn't read the doc before, so I couldn't find a way out of that countdown). Later attempts showed a bit more succes as I was able to see a brief "New card: serial or modem" message box from the card monitor applet.

Trying to launch the Network application doesn't work (the application never displays anything, either it is stuck waiting for something that doesn't happen or it dies before displaying anything), and tapping the applet list applet icon caused another partial reboot (SLC3Kb1 logo then the countdown loop again).

I was able to start the text console from the countdown, and check dmesg, so I'll upload the log in a few minutes.

iamasmith, let me know what you want me to try if you need more data about this problem...
Patrick

iamasmith

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #151 on: May 01, 2005, 11:39:21 am »
Yes actually that's another of the things that wouldn't work if you didn't zero the device. Since the apm binary is renamed to apm.rom and there's an apm script in place to implement the suspend/resume architecture, unless you zero the device the link to apm.rom isn't created so the script can't call the original binary to suspend.

So that's probably the best 'telltale' symptom. If someone can't suspend and get an error with apm -s from the command line then they probably haven't zero'd the device.

- Andy
OpenBSD 4.2 -current on full 4Gb of SL-C3000
Microdrive replaced with 4Gb SanDisk Extreme III card

euroclie

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #152 on: May 01, 2005, 11:41:34 am »
The log ("dmesg > log3.txt" done just after the last crash) is here.
Patrick

iamasmith

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #153 on: May 01, 2005, 11:42:50 am »
OK, today I decided to play again with my GSM/GPRS CF Card. Last time I tried that, with alpha, I suffered all sort of weird problems (bus errors, most of the executables couldn't be found anymore by the shell). Subsequently, I encountered a lot of strange things (file & process ownership were wrong, so Tab Setting application and swap stuff were broken) until I reinstalled alpha from scratch.

Today when I inserted the GSM/GPRS CF card (EagleTec GSM/GPRS CF+), I simply got a wild and instantaneous reboot, with a 5 second countdown that looped again and again. I had to press the reset switch to get out of it (didn't read the doc before, so I couldn't find a way out of that countdown). Later attempts showed a bit more succes as I was able to see a brief "New card: serial or modem" message box from the card monitor applet.

Trying to launch the Network application doesn't work (the application never displays anything, either it is stuck waiting for something that doesn't happen or it dies before displaying anything), and tapping the applet list applet icon caused another partial reboot (SLC3Kb1 logo then the countdown loop again).

I was able to start the text console from the countdown, and check dmesg, so I'll upload the log in a few minutes.

iamasmith, let me know what you want me to try if you need more data about this problem...
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77731\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I think the first thing is cardctl status and cardctl ident information if you can get that far with the machine booted.

I haven't actually seen one of these cards but I would expect it to act as a serial device.

What happened with the stock Sharp ROM with this card ?

- Andy

iamasmith

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #154 on: May 01, 2005, 11:56:53 am »
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77733\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

It looks like your HDD is hosed. This is obviously why Qtopia isn't loading any more.

If this is happening when you use that card (once with Alpha and once with Beta) then I would be a little concerned that the card is causing some problems on the CF bus.

I would suggest that you want to reflash and re-zero the device - looking at what you are seeing there's a good possibility that /hdd1 is hosed.

Incidentally this card is a 3.3v CF card and not a higher voltage card? (I think there are some other restrictions, you may want to search).

I would be tempted to say don't try using it again until you know more about this card and it's compatibility with the Zaurus.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 12:06:48 pm by iamasmith »

iamasmith

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #155 on: May 01, 2005, 12:20:22 pm »
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77733\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

It looks like your HDD is hosed. This is obviously why Qtopia isn't loading any more.

If this is happening when you use that card (once with Alpha and once with Beta) then I would be a little concerned that the card is causing some problems on the CF bus.

I would suggest that you want to reflash and re-zero the device - looking at what you are seeing there's a good possibility that /hdd1 is hosed.

Incidentally this card is a 3.3v CF card and not a higher voltage card? (I think there are some other restrictions, you may want to search).

I would be tempted to say don't try using it again until you know more about this card and it's compatibility with the Zaurus.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77738\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Actually Euroclie, there's one other thing. You aren't by any chance using Battery Plus to overclock are you ?

I noticed that it reduces the VCORE to the 9 setting rather than the A (10) setting which is the default for the Z at 416Mhz when you set it back to 416Mhz. I pointed this out in a different posting on overclock. That's another possible thing that may contribute to unstable operation.

- Andy
« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 12:47:27 pm by iamasmith »

euroclie

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #156 on: May 01, 2005, 01:54:44 pm »
I think the first thing is cardctl status and cardctl ident information if you can get that far with the machine booted.
Yes, on a few attempts (for instance, if I leave the card inserted in the CF slot during the boot, it doesn't bomb as long as I don't touch the network-related stuff) I've been able to use that command.

cardctl ident correctly reports the card's info:
Socket 0:
  product info: "GPRS Modem", "GPRS", "", ""
  manfid: 0x0279, 0x950b
  function: 2 (serial)
Socket 1:
  product info: "HITACHI", "microdrive"
  manfid: 0x0319, 0x0000
  function: 4 (fixed disk)

and cardctl status reports:
Socket 0:
  3.3V 16-bit PC Card [suspended]
Socket 1:
  3.3V 16-bit PC Card [suspended]

I think that this is the cause of the problem: obviously, the socket 1 should not be suspended! Indeed, when I first tested the card using the Sharp stock ROM, I mistakenly performed a "cardctl suspend" instead of "cardctl suspend 0" to suspend the GSM/GPRS card, and it immediately hung the Zaurus...

I haven't actually seen one of these cards but I would expect it to act as a serial device.
Yes, it's a good Audiovox RTM8000 Clone, and it does act as a serial modem.

What happened with the stock Sharp ROM with this card ?
This card worked perfectly with the Sharp ROM, so I know it's not a problem with the card (unless it broke since I installed Cacko ROM, but that doesn't seem very likely).
Patrick

euroclie

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #157 on: May 01, 2005, 02:01:25 pm »
A reboot (without the CF card inserted) fixes the problem, cardctl status reports that the Socket 1 is awake (3.3V 16-bit PC Card, function 0: [ready], [bat dead], [bat low]), as it does normally...

Yes, I've read about that voltage issue, but to be honest I have got it to work (with both minicom for the voice part, and the GUI for internet connection) without having to care more about this issue.

As written in my previous post, it did work OK with the Sharp ROM (once I had figured out how to configure it).

Actually Euroclie, there's one other thing. You aren't by any chance using Battery Plus to overclock are you ?
I've not yet dared overclock or underclock the Zaurus. I did install Battery Plus some time ago with the Sharp ROM, but noticed that the main interest in using it was overclocking, and since I was more concerned by making the Zaurus work reliably than making it do things faster, I promptly uninstalled it and haven't played with it again since.
Patrick

iamasmith

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #158 on: May 01, 2005, 02:22:03 pm »
A reboot (without the CF card inserted) fixes the problem, cardctl status reports that the Socket 1 is awake (3.3V 16-bit PC Card, function 0: [ready], [bat dead], [bat low]), as it does normally...

Yes, I've read about that voltage issue, but to be honest I have got it to work (with both minicom for the voice part, and the GUI for internet connection) without having to care more about this issue.

As written in my previous post, it did work OK with the Sharp ROM (once I had figured out how to configure it).

I've not yet dared overclock or underclock the Zaurus. I did install Battery Plus some time ago with the Sharp ROM, but noticed that the main interest in using it was overclocking, and since I was more concerned by making the Zaurus work reliably than making it do things faster, I promptly uninstalled it and haven't played with it again since.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77758\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Hmm, OK, I think I'll have to roll a copy of the ROM with a default Kernel for testing. Can you live without Bluetooth for now ?

[UPDATE]Actually you may, if you feel like and experiment, want to try flashing just the default Kernel, most of the modules should work OK. Simply use my updater, and a zImage from the 1.11JP update on the Sharp website. Remove all the other files and the updater will install just that Kernel (just updater.sh and the zimage file on the card - no need to zero the device after this). If that works then let me know. I guess we will think about a specific Kernel for this image at some time rather than simply using tetsu's[/UPDATE]

- Andy
« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 02:30:26 pm by iamasmith »

euroclie

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #159 on: May 01, 2005, 02:35:07 pm »
Hmm, OK, I think I'll have to roll a copy of the ROM with a default Kernel for testing. Can you live without Bluetooth for now ?
As a matter of fact, I've been deprived of wireless (except for infrequent WiFi use at home) since I started alpha-testing the Cacko ROM, so I can certainly survive a bit longer without GPRS...

Actually you may, if you feel like and experiment, want to try flashing just the default Kernel, most of the modules should work OK. Simply use my updater, and a zImage from the 1.11JP update on the Sharp website. Remove all the other files and the updater will install just that Kernel (just updater.sh and the zimage file on the card - no need to zero the device after this). If that works then let me know. I guess we will think about a specific Kernel for this image at some time rather than simply using tetsu's
I'll try that tomorrow and will let you know the result...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 03:51:59 pm by euroclie »
Patrick

kahm

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #160 on: May 01, 2005, 02:42:05 pm »
Right, got to say this again... THANKS kahm for getting that apache-php package and Opera working.

I have been working on prototype stuff for so long now that I forgot how useful it was to get my QwikiWiki available on my Zaurus. I just pushed the tarball back onto the Zaurus and it works SO well.

Some modifications that I would suggest are...

1. Add a webauthor user using UID 501 and GID 501 (matching the group).

2. Change /hdd2/www/conf/httpd.conf and edit the user nobody group nobody lines to user webauthor group webauthor.

3. Set ownership over htdocs to webauthor:webauthor

If you make these changes then the proper permission set is in place for most apps including QwikiWiki.

Without the update of httpd.conf (probably just for GID) you can't display images from subdirectories in htdocs.

Having apache-php again reminds me why I bought the 3K in the first place, thanks again kahm.

Regards,

Andy
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77442\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I can't add a user in a script using the adduser command - it brings up an interactive password prompt. I could probably just cat a line onto the end of /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow, but that's probably not a good idea.

Any suggestions?
Fujitsu U8240 "Stormtrooper" -  Zaurus Supplement
Libretto U100 | Sony Librie, Sony Reader
SL-C3100: Sharp 1.11JP (Kanji Dictionary/Translator) - LCD Top swap with C1000.
SL-C3000: pdaXii13 5.4.7, SL-C3000 5.4.9 - microdrive replaced with 8gb Sandisk
SL-C1000: PDAXRom Beta3 | SL-6000L: Sharp 1.12 | SL-5500: Cacko, 64-0 kernel | SL-5000D: OZ-Opie
Linksys WCF12; Sharp CE-AG06, CE-RH2, CE-170TS; iRiver USB OTG Host cable; Socket BT rev.E CF; Hitachi 6gb Microdrive

iamasmith

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #161 on: May 01, 2005, 03:32:58 pm »
Right, got to say this again... THANKS kahm for getting that apache-php package and Opera working.

I have been working on prototype stuff for so long now that I forgot how useful it was to get my QwikiWiki available on my Zaurus. I just pushed the tarball back onto the Zaurus and it works SO well.

Some modifications that I would suggest are...

1. Add a webauthor user using UID 501 and GID 501 (matching the group).

2. Change /hdd2/www/conf/httpd.conf and edit the user nobody group nobody lines to user webauthor group webauthor.

3. Set ownership over htdocs to webauthor:webauthor

If you make these changes then the proper permission set is in place for most apps including QwikiWiki.

Without the update of httpd.conf (probably just for GID) you can't display images from subdirectories in htdocs.

Having apache-php again reminds me why I bought the 3K in the first place, thanks again kahm.

Regards,

Andy
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77442\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I can't add a user in a script using the adduser command - it brings up an interactive password prompt. I could probably just cat a line onto the end of /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow, but that's probably not a good idea.

Any suggestions?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77766\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Yes, as I recall adduser was actually broken in the Cacko 1.21 ROM (last time I did all this) so I ended up with a manual edit to add the user.

It should be feasible to loop through both files quite easily with a script, after all : is a simple delimeter to work on.

I would loop through the files, accumulate the highest UID/GID in a variable, add one to that and simply echo the line onto the end of the group/passwd file (obviously checking for a previous instance of the user/group whilst in the loop). - There are various methods for getting one line at a time out of a file.

Go on, give it a try. I know that you didn't want to learn bash but why waste a good thing  . If you need some help let me know.

Regards,

Andy

kahm

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #162 on: May 01, 2005, 04:09:20 pm »
Yes, as I recall adduser was actually broken in the Cacko 1.21 ROM (last time I did all this) so I ended up with a manual edit to add the user.

It should be feasible to loop through both files quite easily with a script, after all : is a simple delimeter to work on.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77774\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Actually, adduser seems to work fine (As opposed to addgroup which is *definitely* broken), it is a deliberate design decision on the part of tinylogin that prevents using adduser in a script.

I would loop through the files, accumulate the highest UID/GID in a variable, add one to that and simply echo the line onto the end of the group/passwd file (obviously checking for a previous instance of the user/group whilst in the loop). - There are various methods for getting one line at a time out of a file.

Go on, give it a try. I know that you didn't want to learn bash but why waste a good thing  . If you need some help let me know.

Well, I've already become acquainted with my new best friend "Awk" from the work I did last week on the install scripts. Doing the adduser manually is a little more complex than I expected, so I'll be leaving the modifications for my next day off instead.

I've noticed that the rom is missing some of the additions made to Cacko, such as libpcap.  Plus, my Linksys WCF12 comes up under prism_2 in this rom, and host_ap in 1.22.  (Which is causing me some "can't set mode" grief for packet capturing in wellenreiter. I'll get it changed around and let you know how it went)

o/~ o/~ And awking I wil go... o/~ o/~
Fujitsu U8240 "Stormtrooper" -  Zaurus Supplement
Libretto U100 | Sony Librie, Sony Reader
SL-C3100: Sharp 1.11JP (Kanji Dictionary/Translator) - LCD Top swap with C1000.
SL-C3000: pdaXii13 5.4.7, SL-C3000 5.4.9 - microdrive replaced with 8gb Sandisk
SL-C1000: PDAXRom Beta3 | SL-6000L: Sharp 1.12 | SL-5500: Cacko, 64-0 kernel | SL-5000D: OZ-Opie
Linksys WCF12; Sharp CE-AG06, CE-RH2, CE-170TS; iRiver USB OTG Host cable; Socket BT rev.E CF; Hitachi 6gb Microdrive

iamasmith

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #163 on: May 01, 2005, 05:04:02 pm »

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77774\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Actually, adduser seems to work fine (As opposed to addgroup which is *definitely* broken), it is a deliberate design decision on the part of tinylogin that prevents using adduser in a script.

Go on, give it a try. I know that you didn't want to learn bash but why waste a good thing  . If you need some help let me know.

Well, I've already become acquainted with my new best friend "Awk" from the work I did last week on the install scripts. Doing the adduser manually is a little more complex than I expected, so I'll be leaving the modifications for my next day off instead.

I've noticed that the rom is missing some of the additions made to Cacko, such as libpcap.  Plus, my Linksys WCF12 comes up under prism_2 in this rom, and host_ap in 1.22.  (Which is causing me some "can't set mode" grief for packet capturing in wellenreiter. I'll get it changed around and let you know how it went)

o/~ o/~ And awking I wil go... o/~ o/~
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77779\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Yes, in a discussion with Anton we talked about the Wireless extensions in the ROM and the Kernel driver support.

The Kernel as you recall is Tetsu's kernel and as such doesn't have some of the patches that Anton applies to the 2.4.18 Kernel for the SL-Cxxx devices. I think the next bit is to look at the Cacko patch set and come up with our own Kernel to implement the wireless extensions in as mature a way as the Cacko Kernel.

I'm not sure about libpcap at this stage, the modules obviously need to support promiscuous mode to work with libpcap. I would like to see how Anton is progressing with the SL-C1000 stuff before throwing too much effort at this as I'm hoping the patch sets will be fairly portable. - This also includes the extensions needed for WPA support.

- Andy

gerenb

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #164 on: May 01, 2005, 09:13:54 pm »
I've loaded BETA1 and my Socket rev. H card works! I only have one problem - the plug/globe only appears after entering the network applet. It doesn't appear upon insertion of the card. 
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77600\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

You have a Bluetooth dialup connection created? Card insertion should be bringin up those symbols as that's generic stuff - the ROM by this stage should already have recognised it as a Bluetooth card.

Does the card appear in the Card Manager applet ?

Could you also check the following for me please ?

lsmod before going into the Network Applet
lsmod after going into the Network Applet (don't think it will be different but may be).

cardctl status

cardctl ident

BTW: If you do stumble across something in the meantime, however trivial it seems, that makes the card work then please post to this thread - I would like to wrap any such changes in the next release. Unfortunately I don't have one of these cards to test with, all I have is an LSE0039 card - which, as you can guess works beautifully.

Regards,

Andy
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77611\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

The card is recognized by the card manager applet as Socket Bluetooth Card v2.5.
The bluetooth dial-up connection is created and works properly (once plug/globe is present).

lsmod before entering network applet:
Module                  Size  Used by
rfcomm                 33680   1
l2cap                  16432   2  [rfcomm]
hci_uart               12672   2
pxa_bi                 24912   0  (unused)
net_fd                 25216   0  (unused)
usbdcore               35504   0  [pxa_bi net_fd]
bluez                  33200   3  (autoclean) [rfcomm l2cap hci_uart]
usbdmonitor             5488   0
usb-monitor             6496   0
sharp_mmcsd_m          41008   1
bvdd                   10016   0    

lsmod after entering network applet:
Module                  Size  Used by
rfcomm                 33680   1
l2cap                  16432   2  [rfcomm]
hci_uart               12672   2
pxa_bi                 24912   0  (unused)
net_fd                 25216   0  (unused)
usbdcore               35504   0  [pxa_bi net_fd]
bluez                  33200   3  (autoclean) [rfcomm l2cap hci_uart]
usbdmonitor             5488   0
usb-monitor             6496   0
sharp_mmcsd_m          41008   1
bvdd                   10016   0

cardctl status:
Socket 0:
  3.3V 16-bit PC Card
  function 0: [ready]
Socket 1:
  3.3V 16-bit PC Card