Author Topic: Cacko3k Beta1 - Hardcore Testers - V18a Kernel  (Read 5251 times)

iamasmith

• View Profile
Cacko3k Beta1 - Hardcore Testers - V18a Kernel
« on: May 06, 2005, 05:50:07 am »
I'm trying to assess stability of Kernel patch sets to provide an ongoing feed of information to Maslovsky who, as you can see has started to pull together a patch set for the more official Kernel.

Anton is starting with a Tetsu Kernel base and recently this base Kernel was updated to version 18a which has unified source with the 1000 model

Also the Kernel now has nicities like granularity in /proc/apm so the battery status from the updated battery applet will report a much more granular % (see picture attached).

I'm not calling on all the beta testers to do this but for the ones that really want to provide stability feedback I would ask that you consider installing the Tetsu v18a Kernel. Don't forget to install the IPK for the Kernel modules too.

In case you are worried about rollback the IPK is fairly well behaved, preserves the links to the Kernel modules and recreates them if you uninstall. I would suggest taking a backup using the Backup applet in the Settings page first though.

Procedure.

Use the updater.sh from the SL-C3K ROM.
Unpack and rename the zImage file from the Tetsu download to zImage.bin

Put ONLY these two files on a flash card and perform the install.

Install the Kernel Modules IPK and I would suggest following this.

Note you do not need to erase the system when you perform this change.

- Andy
OpenBSD 4.2 -current on full 4Gb of SL-C3000
Microdrive replaced with 4Gb SanDisk Extreme III card

Da_Blitz

• View Profile
    • http://www.pocketnix.org
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 09:18:49 am »
lol, i didnt even relise that you werent supposed to mix the 18a release with cacko, i have been using this combo scince 18a came out and it seems stable.

the first thing i did notice was the battery stuuf which is excellent and it was perhaps a little more responsive but nothing to boast about, so far no complaints from me
Personal Blog
Code
Twitter

Gemini Order: #95 (roughly)
Current Device: Samsung Chromebook Gen 3
Current Arm Devices Count: ~30
Looking to acquire: Cavium Thunder X2 Hardware

iamasmith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 09:25:01 am »
lol, i didnt even relise that you werent supposed to mix the 18a release with cacko, i have been using this combo scince 18a came out and it seems stable....

It will become more of an issue if we tie some of the app features into driver support with our own patches.

lpotter

• View Profile
    • http://qtopia.net
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 02:49:22 pm »
Where can I download the kernel sources and patches?
Software Engineer, Systems Group, MES, Trolltech
irc.freenode.net #qtopia
http://qtopia.net

iamasmith

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 02:54:23 pm »
As I say we are using tetsu's special Kernel at the moment.

http://tetsu.homelinux.org/zaurus/kernel

devster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 09:37:40 am »
As I say we are using tetsu's special Kernel at the moment.

http://tetsu.homelinux.org/zaurus/kernel
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78583\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

page comes up, but tetsu file download links arent working for me at the moment ....

euroclie

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 08:06:49 am »
I've been playing with kernel v18a for a few hours, things seem to work OK so far for me. I'm currently playing with mplayer stuff, no complaint until this point...

The new battery applet is nice with the improved granularity, though I didn't dare overclock the Z yet!
Patrick

FRH

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 09:30:24 am »
I've install v18a and I'm playing with it right now.
Everything run just fine. I can finally see movies with mplayer 1.1.4 but with no sound for Quicktime5 mov - teaser of Harry Potter Globe of Fire.

I have to test further (more mov, iptables and kismet for example)

BTW is there any fee for the cacko 1.23 (URL?)

TIA

F.

sriley

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 11:42:43 am »
Flashed it.  Super busy at work, I'll post any observations I make as I'm able.

sriley

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 01:45:31 pm »
I had issues with lockups during over/underclocking via the battery applet.  Here are the freqchange.conf values that seem to work correctly for me:

0,Turbo,1e2,0
0,Overclocked,162,0
0,Default (PXA255),161,0
0,Normal,242,0
0,Default (PXA250),241,0
0,Power Saving,121,0
1,Turbo (624/208/104 MHz),2000310,e
1,Overclocked (520/260/130 MHz),a000214,c
1,Standard (416/208/104 MHz),2000210,a
1,Power Saving (208/104/104 MHz),0000110,9

I'd be interested in seeing someone else's results.  Note that the 520MHz line is the one with nonstandard display frequency that produces screen flickering.

RGRICH

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2005, 08:59:43 am »
I'm trying to assess stability of Kernel patch sets to provide an ongoing feed of information to Maslovsky who, as you can see has started to pull together a patch set for the more official Kernel.

Anton is starting with a Tetsu Kernel base and recently this base Kernel was updated to version 18a which has unified source with the 1000 model

Also the Kernel now has nicities like granularity in /proc/apm so the battery status from the updated battery applet will report a much more granular % (see picture attached).

I'm not calling on all the beta testers to do this but for the ones that really want to provide stability feedback I would ask that you consider installing the Tetsu v18a Kernel. Don't forget to install the IPK for the Kernel modules too.

In case you are worried about rollback the IPK is fairly well behaved, preserves the links to the Kernel modules and recreates them if you uninstall. I would suggest taking a backup using the Backup applet in the Settings page first though.

Procedure.

Use the updater.sh from the SL-C3K ROM.
Unpack and rename the zImage file from the Tetsu download to zImage.bin

Put ONLY these two files on a flash card and perform the install.

Install the Kernel Modules IPK and I would suggest following this.

Note you do not need to erase the system when you perform this change.

- Andy
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78507\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Andy
 I've downloaded the Tetsu 18a kernel and additional modules for the C3000 and have applied them as you indicate is these instructions on my C3000 running Cacko Beta 1.23 but it doesn't appear any different post install. That is, my battery app looks the same as it did before the install. There we no errors during the install so it appears everything went fine. Is there a way I can verify that the updates were made?
Thanks
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 09:04:08 am by RGRICH »

Jondalar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2005, 07:16:30 am »
Hi all,

stupid question - the kernel itself is pretty stable I think, I run this now for 4 days, watching MPG videos, listening to a lot of music, USB stuff etc ... The only thing that doesn't run with this kernel is my WIFI CF Card.

It is a netgear card, and the rom detects a Zomax Airrunner I think ... With the inital kernel from Sharp it works fine. Anyone else having the same issues? I got that feeling the right modules might be missing, which would be a simple solution then.

KRgds,
J*

usunoro

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2005, 02:33:39 pm »
Yeah I've been using 18a since I installed c3kb1 as well (about 2mo ago) seems rock solid so far. My Ambicom card is detected properlly according to cardctl but when i used the eject applet it shows up as some Z-Com card.

juanitomaille

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2005, 08:09:59 am »
I found some bugs in Cacko3kb1 but is it still interresting if another release is in preparation?
Question:
there is another branch of dev (based on 1.23) or not? (iamasmith?)

The bug i found is when i use IR between my phone and my Z, he directly reboot to the countdown ("wait 5..4...3...") and bootsplash... After i can't suspend, i need a reset.

Thanks