Author Topic: Ok, The Challenge Has Been Made  (Read 2901 times)

gdog

• View Profile
Ok, The Challenge Has Been Made
« on: May 14, 2005, 12:33:52 pm »
Besides most everybody...

We have two keys immediately to the right of the Space bar. I can't even "draw" them for you because, well I'm lame I guess. The challenge is, how do I make the bottom left character of each key "come alive"?

The most important one is the backtick because without it I can't write Perl scripts without using the nasty system calls that I dislike so much. The second isn't so important because frankly I don't need to tell you all to what degree I've accomplished anything. But the first is vital to me, and if someone can help me solve it you will forever be my own personal hero, and if ever we should meet I will buy you a Grande tripleshot latte with the flavoring of your choice.

Please help me, I can't begin writing my new KA, Address Book Replacement program without those vitally important backticks. And besides, it's a matter of National Security.  

Thanks,

gdog ;^)
You can tell a lot about a man by the condition of his shoes

iamasmith

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 01:04:34 pm »
Even though it's mapped on this key the ` character is normally mapped to Shift+@

Haven't a clue how you get those other keys, maybe i was originally by putting the input into a special mode using the Kanji keys.. as I have scrubbed all that and wouldn't understand the Japanese input stuff anyway I can't say.

- Andy
OpenBSD 4.2 -current on full 4Gb of SL-C3000
Microdrive replaced with 4Gb SanDisk Extreme III card

kahm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 04:17:33 pm »
Those two characters are the Japanese characters for comma (not a backtick. It shows up at the bottom of the line, not the top) and period. They're only available in the Japanese input modes. They're like the Japanese brackets about U and I. If you want a backtick, and this is a good suggestion to include in English Cacko I assume, I'd use keyhelper to bind it to fn+u or fn+i

EDIT:
Nevermind, I just re-read iamasmith's notes.  Technically, backtick seems to be bound to SHIFT+ - (The same key for @, but @ is FN+ - )
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 04:19:49 pm by kahm »
Fujitsu U8240 "Stormtrooper" -  Zaurus Supplement
Libretto U100 | Sony Librie, Sony Reader
SL-C3100: Sharp 1.11JP (Kanji Dictionary/Translator) - LCD Top swap with C1000.
SL-C3000: pdaXii13 5.4.7, SL-C3000 5.4.9 - microdrive replaced with 8gb Sandisk
SL-C1000: PDAXRom Beta3 | SL-6000L: Sharp 1.12 | SL-5500: Cacko, 64-0 kernel | SL-5000D: OZ-Opie
Linksys WCF12; Sharp CE-AG06, CE-RH2, CE-170TS; iRiver USB OTG Host cable; Socket BT rev.E CF; Hitachi 6gb Microdrive

gdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 06:20:29 pm »
Those two characters are the Japanese characters for comma (not a backtick. It shows up at the bottom of the line, not the top) and period. They're only available in the Japanese input modes. They're like the Japanese brackets about U and I. If you want a backtick, and this is a good suggestion to include in English Cacko I assume, I'd use keyhelper to bind it to fn+u or fn+i

EDIT:
Nevermind, I just re-read iamasmith's notes.  Technically, backtick seems to be bound to SHIFT+ - (The same key for @, but @ is FN+ - )
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=79786\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I was about to reply to Andy's reply and say that shift + - resulted in =. Then I read your reply kahn and did some experimentation. Shft + Fn + - makes a `. Big relief. Don't know how one could get by in Linux/Unix without a backtick character.

I had made a cheat sheet for the 6k but they don't map across. In case you're interested as the proud new owner of  a 6K, here it is

6K Keyboard workarounds

Grave (backtick `) Shift + Fn + Space
Caret ( ^ ) Shift + Fn + Quote
Backslash ( \ ) Shift + Tab
Left curly bracket ( { ) Shift + Fn + <
Right curly bracket ( } ) Shift + Fn + >
Left square bracket  ( [ ) Shift + Fn + Del
Right square bracket ( ] ) Shift + Fn + comma'
Vertical Bar (Pipe |) Qtopia: Shift + Space, Console: Fn + Space
Control Characters: vi: Fn + Shift + G to create ^G
Console: Fn + x  to Cut, Fn + c to copy, Fn + V to Paste

kahm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 01:41:32 am »
I was about to reply to Andy's reply and say that shift + - resulted in =. Then I read your reply kahn and did some experimentation. Shft + Fn + - makes a `. Big relief. Don't know how one could get by in Linux/Unix without a backtick character.

I had made a cheat sheet for the 6k but they don't map across. In case you're interested as the proud new owner of  a 6K, here it is

Heh. Shift+FN+ - is Shift-@ after all. I tried it on the 860 and 3k, both running cacko, and Shift+ - gives me `.

I can't wait for my new 1k to get back here. It seems I really need something running the Sharp rom to work with

Thanks for the keymap for the 6k! It's bound to come in handy.
Fujitsu U8240 "Stormtrooper" -  Zaurus Supplement
Libretto U100 | Sony Librie, Sony Reader
SL-C3100: Sharp 1.11JP (Kanji Dictionary/Translator) - LCD Top swap with C1000.
SL-C3000: pdaXii13 5.4.7, SL-C3000 5.4.9 - microdrive replaced with 8gb Sandisk
SL-C1000: PDAXRom Beta3 | SL-6000L: Sharp 1.12 | SL-5500: Cacko, 64-0 kernel | SL-5000D: OZ-Opie
Linksys WCF12; Sharp CE-AG06, CE-RH2, CE-170TS; iRiver USB OTG Host cable; Socket BT rev.E CF; Hitachi 6gb Microdrive

ken

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 03:18:28 am »
That's all in the zaurus FAQ
SL-6000L Sharp ROM 1.12 - 1G SD (RiDATA) - 2G Microdrive (Hitachi)
TRENDnet TE-CF100 10/100 (no drivers needed) AmbiCom CF56M-EZ modem (no drivers needed)

gdog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 08:40:58 pm »
Heh. Shift+FN+ - is Shift-@ after all. I tried it on the 860 and 3k, both running cacko, and Shift+ - gives me `.

I didn't see this for awhile. Been spending too much time on ebay ;o).

If memory serves some of the key combos on the 6K require simultaneous pressing of two of the keys followed by a press of the third key.
That does not work on the 1K if one is trying to create a ` by pressing Shift/Function + - (or @). What might be at play here is the capability of the 1K to use the sticky shift key, where the 6K cannot. So in that sense your finding of Shift+FN+ - is Shift-@ is entirely accurate, just so long as you don't try to achieve it by simultaneously pressing shift and Fn, then  - or @. The lack of a sticky shift capability on the 6K was something that was always an inconvenience at best, and I was overjoyed to find as functional on the 1k. But of course I never when beyond the Sharp ROM on my 6K so it may have been more a matter of shooting myself in the foot....

Regards,

gdog
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 08:43:54 pm by gdog »