Author Topic: Ok, I Admit It, I Install Most Everything To  (Read 3713 times)

gdog

• View Profile
Ok, I Admit It, I Install Most Everything To
« on: May 25, 2005, 09:19:00 pm »
Getting on in years and it saves me having to remember which card I need installed when I want to do something in particular.

In my internal (Storage) flash right now I have consumed ~27.5Mb and have ~36.5Mb available. And in internal (Memory) I've consumed ~40.5Mb and have ~22.5 free.

Now I have no plans to go to Japan, and I have no Japanese friends (that I'm aware of). But even if I do they are smarter than I am and are bilingual. So the point is I don't have a need for the Japanese dictionaries that came installed.

Are the dictionairies still installed, snce I have run the Conics English conversion on my Z. If so, where, and how can I remove them? Can I get back some of my memory and/or storage by doing so, and will it leave my Z in an uncrippled state?

Thanks,

gdog
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 09:20:27 pm by gdog »
You can tell a lot about a man by the condition of his shoes

Meanie

• View Profile
    • http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 03:33:30 am »
well, the dictionary data is stored under /hdd3/dict1 and /hdd3/dict2
you can remove them if you must. also if you reset your Z to factory setting, they are not restored and need to be copied back from the CD-ROM
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~wyso/myZaurus - zBook3K

jamesm

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 04:35:28 am »
I'm assuming here that your space limits are due to you owning a 1000 as opposed to a 3000.
Victim of c3000 ebay scam.... Now after c3100

Stubear

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 10:19:41 am »
The dictionary files on the Cxx0 and the C1000 are kept in /usr/QtPalmtop.rom/dic

You can remove them by remounting / read-write. You will get a bunch of space, but as this is generally mounted read-only you can't install stuff to it as you would the internal storage. You will need to remount / read-write whenever you want to remove/upgrade the apps you install there.

If you want to maximize your internal memory size then have a look at the cacko lite rom

Stu
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 10:20:38 am by Stubear »
SL-C1000, Hand converted to English with Japanese Input
Running X apps via X/Qt
iRiver USB host cable; Diatec P-Cord usb power cable (extendable); Acro's Reel Cable USB (A to A, B, Mini-B,  & Mini-B 8pin); GreenHouse 1Gb PicoDrive+; 2x256Mb Hagiwara SD cards; 128Mb Transcend CF card; 512Mb PQI CF card; AmbiCom WL1100C-CF 11B WLAN card

nilch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 10:31:54 am »
If you want to maximize your internal memory size then have a look at the cacko lite rom

Stu
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81623\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Did you mean Cacko Lite ROM for C1000 ? Am I really falling behind times ?
Wow they alreadyu have a Liteversion too for C1000, thats fast.

Thanks, will check it out.
New no more-C1000 / 5000D (sold my 6000 and 750) | Cacko ROM 1.23 on C1000 | 256 MB CF | 2GB PNY SD card | Socket Networker WiFi CF Card | USB Host cable from StreamlineCPUS | Mini Microphone (for voice recording) |

gdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 02:57:09 pm »
well, the dictionary data is stored under /hdd3/dict1 and /hdd3/dict2
you can remove them if you must. also if you reset your Z to factory setting, they are not restored and need to be copied back from the CD-ROM
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81569\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Not too many different replies I'm going to try and answer all separately.

I do own a c1K so that may be an issue. If nothing else maybe I can just tar and compress them.

Thanks Meanie,

gdog

gdog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 03:05:32 pm »
The dictionary files on the Cxx0 and the C1000 are kept in /usr/QtPalmtop.rom/dic

You can remove them by remounting / read-write. You will get a bunch of space, but as this is generally mounted read-only you can't install stuff to it as you would the internal storage. You will need to remount / read-write whenever you want to remove/upgrade the apps you install there.

Stu
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81623\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

This brings up a very good point Stu. Why bother, unless I'm going to install something that would ultimately be placed (and be appropriate) on a RO filesystem. Sounds like other than the satisfaction of seeing more space available under the storage tab there may be no great advantage to doing this.

Is there a cacko lite rom for the 1K yet? I haven't gotten too far with my Z to where changing ROMs would be a major exercise, but it won't be long before I reach that point. If there is a stable ROM available that contains features that I might consider useful or crucial enough to prompt me to make the switch , I'd sure like to have a look at it.

BTW, good talking to you. It's been awhile since we spoke. I recently traded my 6K to Kahm for his 1K, and am loving it. Like you, he's a good guy too!    

Thanks,

gdog

gdog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 03:07:03 pm »
I'm assuming here that your space limits are due to you owning a 1000 as opposed to a 3000.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81574\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Isn't it the other way around? Doesn't the 1K have 128K of Memory space, and the 3K only 64k? Of oourse I've been known to be wrong before  

Regards,

gdog
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 03:07:46 pm by gdog »

Jcroto1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 04:07:20 pm »
The 3k actually has a 4 gig hard drive in it.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 04:10:07 pm by Jcroto1 »
SL-5500 - OZ 3.5.2  Opie
SL-6000L - ?
128 mb Viking CF
256 mb Kingston SD
512 mb Sandisk Ultra II SD
Linksys WCF12 Wireless card

Stubear

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 09:08:38 pm »
gdog & nilch,

Sorry there isn't a C1K cacko rom yet (but it won't be long according to Malovsky on another post), I was actually refering to how the cacko rom saves space on the main memory (squashfs image of the /usr dir) and allowing the partitions to be resized.

At present if you remove stuff from the RO partition unless you can find something to fill the hole, then the space is still wasted. You could try installing some "must have" apps there, but most of the best ones are under heavy development and would need continual replacement. Which could be almost as annoying as remembering what CF card you had installed what app on;)

Nice to talk again gdog, it's been a while, hopefully with the new Zs well have more to tlak about

Stu
SL-C1000, Hand converted to English with Japanese Input
Running X apps via X/Qt
iRiver USB host cable; Diatec P-Cord usb power cable (extendable); Acro's Reel Cable USB (A to A, B, Mini-B,  & Mini-B 8pin); GreenHouse 1Gb PicoDrive+; 2x256Mb Hagiwara SD cards; 128Mb Transcend CF card; 512Mb PQI CF card; AmbiCom WL1100C-CF 11B WLAN card

gdog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2005, 07:08:02 am »
gdog & nilch,

Nice to talk again gdog, it's been a while, hopefully with the new Zs well have more to tlak about

Stu
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81705\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I've got something we can talk about Stu. I seem to encounter more situations with my C1K where "Memory is running low, which app would you like to close", than I ever did  with my 6K. I did have a 32 or 64Mb cache on SD on my 6K (can't remember which but it seems that there may have been a 32Mb limitation anyway). Do the clamshells benefit as much from the SD cache as the 6Ks? If so, do your old cache creating instructions which I believe I still have stashed (cached   ) somewhere apply? Or is there possibbly a new set specifically written for the CxKs somewhere that one of you adventurers have come up with?

Thanks, and Best Regards,

gdog
« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 07:09:25 am by gdog »