Author Topic: Impressions Of Open (star) Office  (Read 5416 times)

gdog

• View Profile
Impressions Of Open (star) Office
« on: May 25, 2005, 10:53:48 pm »
1. How many here have installed it on their 3K or 1K? On what ROM?
2. Is it as slow starting as it has traditionally been on Solaris and Windows?
3. If it any faster at opening large xls files than Hancon Sheet is (actually Hancom sheet on the 6K is essentially useless on spreadsheets larger than ~300Kb?
4. Is it too large to install onto internal flash? How much storage space does it consume?
5. Do the Macros work, most especially in Sheet? And are user-defined macros supported?
6. Does Sheet support the grouping and sorting functions of Excel. As an example can I group a range of rows or columns and have them collapsed in the same way they would be in Excel?

I know these questions represent and require a pretty extensive familiarity of the product, but I am hoping someone has it and would be willing to share their knowledge. The Z's make good toys, but for better or worse I really need mine to be as much a tool as a toy.

Thanks so much,

gdog
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 10:58:04 pm by gdog »
You can tell a lot about a man by the condition of his shoes

Meanie

• View Profile
    • http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 03:41:21 am »
1. How many here have installed it on their 3K or 1K? On what ROM?
2. Is it as slow starting as it has traditionally been on Solaris and Windows?
3. If it any faster at opening large xls files than Hancon Sheet is (actually Hancom sheet on the 6K is essentially useless on spreadsheets larger than ~300Kb?
4. Is it too large to install onto internal flash? How much storage space does it consume?
5. Do the Macros work, most especially in Sheet? And are user-defined macros supported?
6. Does Sheet support the grouping and sorting functions of Excel. As an example can I group a range of rows or columns and have them collapsed in the same way they would be in Excel?

I know these questions represent and require a pretty extensive familiarity of the product, but I am hoping someone has it and would be willing to share their knowledge. The Z's make good toys, but for better or worse I really need mine to be as much a tool as a toy.

Thanks so much,

gdog
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81544\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

1. I use StarOffice at work so I need OpenOffice on my Z to open the StarOffice files.
2. And it does not open slow on windows and solaris unless you call 0.2 seconds slow!
3. I dont use spreadsheets much so no idea, but I can open 20MB sxd and sxw files.
4. It uses around 200MB
5. I don't use macros
6. I don't use excel so have no idea
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~wyso/myZaurus - zBook3K

omro

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 06:56:47 am »
How do you install open office onto the Z?
Zaurus C-1000

Meanie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 11:54:53 am »
How do you install open office onto the Z?
[div align=\"right\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

[a href=\"http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/custom.html#openoffice]http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/cus...html#openoffice[/url]
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)

gdog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 02:35:08 pm »
1. I use StarOffice at work so I need OpenOffice on my Z to open the StarOffice files.
2. And it does not open slow on windows and solaris unless you call 0.2 seconds slow!
3. I dont use spreadsheets much so no idea, but I can open 20MB sxd and sxw files.
4. It uses around 200MB
5. I don't use macros
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81570\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Last version I've tried on my Sun box or wWindows was 5.2. It takes about 45 seconds to open. My Sun is nothing spectacular, it being about 6 years old so that and the age of my StarOffice may be the culprit, but I'm not the only one that has complained about S.O. being slow opening. And the last Windows machine I tried it on was a 600Mhz system with 256Mb of RAM. Same slow story

When you say it uses around 200Mb are you referring to the installation? If so then you're installiing onto the hdd or a card?

What is the largest Word file you open in SO, and how long does it take to open on your Z?

If you ever start using macros you'll wonder how you ever got along without them. In both Word and Excel they can be wonderful time savers And of course anytime we can automate things error rates generally go way down.

Thanks for your reply!

Best Regards,

gdog

ciro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 08:01:04 am »
I've just tried debian package (openoffice.org-bin_1.1.4-1_arm.deb) from
http://people.debian.org/~rene/openoffice.org/test/arm/
The rest of packages can be found in common debian distribution. Openoffice seems to run better than I expected.

Meanie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 09:27:48 am »
4. It uses around 200MB
5. I don't use macros
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81570\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Last version I've tried on my Sun box or wWindows was 5.2. It takes about 45 seconds to open. My Sun is nothing spectacular, it being about 6 years old so that and the age of my StarOffice may be the culprit, but I'm not the only one that has complained about S.O. being slow opening. And the last Windows machine I tried it on was a 600Mhz system with 256Mb of RAM. Same slow story

When you say it uses around 200Mb are you referring to the installation? If so then you're installiing onto the hdd or a card?

What is the largest Word file you open in SO, and how long does it take to open on your Z?

If you ever start using macros you'll wonder how you ever got along without them. In both Word and Excel they can be wonderful time savers And of course anytime we can automate things error rates generally go way down.

Thanks for your reply!

Best Regards,

gdog
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81658\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

There is an issue in SO, if your default printer is a network printer or is turned off, SO will wait a while until it times out before it continues to load. My default printer is a local loopback pdf printer  so even on a Celeron 300Mhz it takes less than 3 seconds to load!

When I first used StarOffice, I actually hated it but with time. I have learned to appreciate it's superior features and now I would not even dream of switching back to MS Office.

Once OpenOffice is installed on the Z, it takes up 188MB of disk space. It's sitting on my microdrive. sd is way too slow

largest file I have is 29MB and it took 15mins to open on the Z

gdog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 12:44:41 pm »
4. It uses around 200MB
5. I don't use macros

Thanks for your reply!

Best Regards,

gdog
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81658\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

There is an issue in SO, if your default printer is a network printer or is turned off, SO will wait a while until it times out before it continues to load. My default printer is a local loopback pdf printer  so even on a Celeron 300Mhz it takes less than 3 seconds to load!

When I first used StarOffice, I actually hated it but with time. I have learned to appreciate it's superior features and now I would not even dream of switching back to MS Office.

Once OpenOffice is installed on the Z, it takes up 188MB of disk space. It's sitting on my microdrive. sd is way too slow

largest file I have is 29MB and it took 15mins to open on the Z
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81792\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Sounds like you have the best and worst of both worlds. My initial attraction to SO was to get away (far way) from the M$ bandwagon. But I knew nothing about the printer problems and frankly didnt' take the time to investigate and learn why.

So now you've gotten SO starting in 2 seconds on your Z. That would work for me. But a good number of the files I need to open are 400-500Mb in size (mostly excel ss's),, some larger. So it doesn't sound like SO would be a good candidate for me. Thanks for the good info Meanie. I'm quickly learning that you add a lot of good knowledge to this site, and I for one appreciate it.

Best regards,

gdog

kahm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005, 06:47:21 pm »
Sounds like you have the best and worst of both worlds. My initial attraction to SO was to get away (far way) from the M$ bandwagon. But I knew nothing about the printer problems and frankly didnt' take the time to investigate and learn why.

So now you've gotten SO starting in 2 seconds on your Z. That would work for me. But a good number of the files I need to open are 400-500Mb in size (mostly excel ss's),, some larger. So it doesn't sound like SO would be a good candidate for me. Thanks for the good info Meanie. I'm quickly learning that you add a lot of good knowledge to this site, and I for one appreciate it.

Best regards,

gdog
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81831\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

500mb Spreadsheets? Good grief! I'd hesitate to open one of those on my dual-cpu-and-gig-of-ram desktop, never mind a Zaurus!

You may be out of luck regarding a workable solution for that one, I'm afraid.
Fujitsu U8240 "Stormtrooper" -  Zaurus Supplement
Libretto U100 | Sony Librie, Sony Reader
SL-C3100: Sharp 1.11JP (Kanji Dictionary/Translator) - LCD Top swap with C1000.
SL-C3000: pdaXii13 5.4.7, SL-C3000 5.4.9 - microdrive replaced with 8gb Sandisk
SL-C1000: PDAXRom Beta3 | SL-6000L: Sharp 1.12 | SL-5500: Cacko, 64-0 kernel | SL-5000D: OZ-Opie
Linksys WCF12; Sharp CE-AG06, CE-RH2, CE-170TS; iRiver USB OTG Host cable; Socket BT rev.E CF; Hitachi 6gb Microdrive

omega

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2005, 05:29:48 am »
500megs is a bit crazy, you would need one damn big swap file!
Gorgeous C860, 256 Sandisk SD, 1Gig Pretec 40x CF, PDAIR leather case & the really cool retractable iPDA USB sync/charge cable. Powered by PDAXROM BETA 1.

My wish - to have a Command & Conquer style game on my Z! (FREECNC!!!) Simcity 2000 would also be great.

gdog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2005, 10:32:50 pm »
500megs is a bit crazy, you would need one damn big swap file!
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81895\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
In order to keep this from turning into a negative topic on M$ due to my loathing of them in general, I'll try to focus on Excel instead. I love Excel. It is a very powerful and useful tool, and for all my use of it I have barely begun to scratch the surface of using it. My primary spreadsheet is at 2.1Mb now, but in it I use several macros and utilize the grouping of rows of data to a high degree. And all of that in a single worksheet. On my 2.1Ghz/512Mb RAM Intel based laptop it opens in about 10 seconds, but that is only because I utilize a macro that also opens a.5Mb ss just prior to opening the larger 2.1Mb ss. People can easily make a living specializing in Excel and teaching others how to best use it, espedially when you start talking about Pivot Tables and Charts and the like. Probably one of the best thigs that M$ ever did, though it's debatable whehter or not they reversed engineered Lotus 123 in order to arrive at what we know Excel to be.
If we could just get Opie sheet, Hancomn Sheet or even Excel for PPC to use macros it might be possible to come up with work arounds to the size limtitatiions, but they don't seem to be in the works either. It's a sad day in Gotham Batman....

Regards

gdog

gdog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2005, 11:03:03 pm »

Best regards,

gdog
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81831\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I was just going through some old posts and happened across this one and decided to reread it. I was mistaken in reporting that I freqently used 400-500Mb spreadsheets. I meant to say 400-500Kb. But the one I did report in the post right above this one as 2.1Mb, which is the one I primary use for work, is now actually at 2.27Mb and growing. Sorry to misinform.

All that being said, the last time I tried to open even a 400Kb file in Hancom Sheet I think I gave up after about 10 minutes.  In my mind, and for what I use my Z for, the only real drawback to the cool little wonder is the fact that it can't seem to handle large files. I had the same problem with a ~2Mb jpg a few days ago.

Regards,

gdog
« Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 11:04:39 pm by gdog »

Meanie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2005, 01:10:53 am »

Best regards,

gdog

I was just going through some old posts and happened across this one and decided to reread it. I was mistaken in reporting that I freqently used 400-500Mb spreadsheets. I meant to say 400-500Kb. But the one I did report in the post right above this one as 2.1Mb, which is the one I primary use for work, is now actually at 2.27Mb and growing. Sorry to misinform.

All that being said, the last time I tried to open even a 400Kb file in Hancom Sheet I think I gave up after about 10 minutes.  In my mind, and for what I use my Z for, the only real drawback to the cool little wonder is the fact that it can't seem to handle large files. I had the same problem with a ~2Mb jpg a few days ago.

Regards,

gdog
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86689\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

you should change the location of your tmp directory to somehwere with more free space. I regularly open 30MB files without problems.

bam

• View Profile
    • http://thegrinder.ws
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2005, 01:19:44 am »
you should change the location of your tmp directory to somehwere with more free space. I regularly open 30MB files without problems.
how? just so I know for future reference...
SL-C3100 current: Stock/Tetsu 18h
Socket BT CF Card
Linksys WCF-12 802.11b/Cheapie USB Ethernet

The Grinder

gdog

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2005, 01:47:42 am »
Trouble!!!

Moved to hardware section in topic  "Locked out of C1K, Problems with /tmp"

Need some help if possible.

Regards,