Author Topic: One Last Chance For Oz  (Read 3709 times)

tombraider

• View Profile
    • http://atoah.com/zaurus/
One Last Chance For Oz
« on: May 29, 2005, 01:43:01 pm »
I've flashed and reflashed at least 8 times using 64-0 and 40-24.  I've tried to install Opera every which way and only got it working briefly once (the 7.55 OZ version).  It stopped working after I then installed OpieMail.

I have just put a clean 64-0 Opie install on my collie.  Can someone help me get Opera working on this thing?  I am not even going to configure my Sandisk Connect Plus card - I will just use my Belkin card which works right off the bat.

I previously have followed these directions which have not worked for me:

1. Uninstall previous Opera (7.3 something). "all opera references"
 2. Removed all opera directories (find / -name opera and .opera and delete them)
 3. Grabbed the package ref'd at the start of this thread.
 4. ipkg -d sd install <pkg name>
 5. ipkg-link add opera
 6. ln -s /mnt/card/opt/QtPalmtop/opera/.opera /home/root/.opera "this may be done"

axxx - make sure sharp compat libs are installed
 a1. grab the sharp-compat-libs from the 3.5.3 feed
 a2. ipkg -d sd install <sharp-compat-libs...> from where ever they ary
 a3. ipkg-link add sharp-compat-libs
 a4. restart opie to get the icons
 a4. run either the libs icon or "makecompat" to link opera to the libs
 a5. you should be ready to go.

7. (fiddled with the .desktop to put it where I wanted it and to use my preferred icon)
 8. edited /mnt/card/opt/QtPalmtop/opera/.opera/opera.ini and changed cache entries to the Large settings
 9. Launched it! It worked smile.gif
 10. Tried it out on the full index of my local jdk1.1.8 javadocs. No problemo... big file.
 11. Thanked the gods and any deities I could think of that greater (and more patient) minds than mine had trod this road and DOCUMENTED their travels!!!!

Don't know who posted it.
I have the following versions of Opera:
opera_sl-5x00-7.30.9965_arm.ipk
opera_7.55.6079_arm.ipk
opera_7.55_OZ3.5.3_arm.ipk

I have had a GREAT DEAL of difficulty in getting the sharp-compat-libs to either download or install properly so maybe someone could walk me through that.

From the looks of it,  there are hundreds of people out there who have installed Opera on their sl-5500's with 3.5.3 OZ and have had NO difficulty whatsoever,  because I seem to be the only one complaining.  

Or is this just a very bad ROM???  And I should wait until it's fixed.

Boy,  when I first used to go on the old Sharp forums a couple of years ago,  everyone used to constantly brag about Open Zaurus and how great it was.  Was it once great and has sunk to new lows or what??  I'm just glad I didn't try it before I had 2 Zauri to fool around with.  
Learning Chinese?  Have a Mac?  Try Hanzi Master: Download for free

Tombraider's Zaurus C1000 Tips Web Site

SL-3200 from Conics.net: Sharp ROM| SL-C1000: Pdaxrom Beta 3

Jcroto1

• View Profile
    • http://
One Last Chance For Oz
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 02:35:41 pm »
I've tried to install Opera every which way and only got it working briefly once (the 7.55 OZ version). It stopped working after I then installed OpieMail.

I would try running opera from the command line to see if something got unlinked somehow.

1. Uninstall previous Opera (7.3 something). "all opera references"
2. Removed all opera directories (find / -name opera and .opera and delete them)
3. Grabbed the package ref'd at the start of this thread.
4. ipkg -d sd install <pkg name>
5. ipkg-link add opera
6. ln -s /mnt/card/opt/QtPalmtop/opera/.opera /home/root/.opera "this may be done"

These steps were from OZ 3.5.2 (packages were installed to /mnt/card/ instead of /mnt/card/packages)  so step six would now make an empty symlink (opera_7.55_OZ3.5.3_arm.ipk should do this automaticly)

axxx - make sure sharp compat libs are installed
a1. grab the sharp-compat-libs from the 3.5.3 feed
a2. ipkg -d sd install <sharp-compat-libs...> from where ever they ary
a3. ipkg-link add sharp-compat-libs
a4. restart opie to get the icons
a4. run either the libs icon or "makecompat" to link opera to the libs
a5. you should be ready to go.

Im pretty sure opie-sh is also need to use the compat libs so you need to install and link them too.

Don't know who posted it.
I have the following versions of Opera:
opera_sl-5x00-7.30.9965_arm.ipk
opera_7.55.6079_arm.ipk
opera_7.55_OZ3.5.3_arm.ipk

opera_7.55.6079_arm.ipk and opera_7.55_OZ3.5.3_arm.ipk are basicly the same except I repackaged opera_7.55_OZ3.5.3_arm.ipk so that it would properly set up the symlinks with OZ 3.5.3 on a sd card (the /mnt/card/packages thing).  It also fixes a problem with large images by increasing the cache.

I have had a GREAT DEAL of difficulty in getting the sharp-compat-libs to either download or install properly so maybe someone could walk me through that
I just use the package manager to downloaded and installed everything for me.

Or is this just a very bad ROM??? And I should wait until it's fixed.

Boy, when I first used to go on the old Sharp forums a couple of years ago, everyone used to constantly brag about Open Zaurus and how great it was. Was it once great and has sunk to new lows or what?? I'm just glad I didn't try it before I had 2 Zauri to fool around with. blink.gif
I think OZ is still great but it is unstable, so you either need to know some different things about it or have a lot of time to figure them out (I'm the later ).

All you should have to do is install opera_7.55-OZ3.5.3_arm.ipk and then use the compat libs to link it.  If that doesnt work for some reason run it from the command line and go from there.

You'll get it just keep at it and think of how cool it'll be when you have everything set up!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2005, 03:20:13 pm by Jcroto1 »
SL-5500 - OZ 3.5.2  Opie
SL-6000L - ?
128 mb Viking CF
256 mb Kingston SD
512 mb Sandisk Ultra II SD
Linksys WCF12 Wireless card

dansawyer

• View Profile
One Last Chance For Oz
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 11:32:33 pm »
Hello,

I did the intermediate post. Opera successfully installed twice. The first install was part of a set on installs to bring up a set of packages. Then I hosed the boot process and had to reflash.

My advice is to use ipkg and ipkg-link. The graphic package tools don't seem to work as well.

First have you set up the 'dest' lines in /etc/ipkg.conf ? These controls

Second does your Z have internet connection? If so then the following should work:

1. ipkg update
2. ipkg install sharp-compat-libs
3. ipkg-link add sharp-compat-libs

(these all depend on the dest lines )

Third

1. ipkg install opera_xxx  (I use the 6090 package, my path installs are different.)
2. ipkg-link add opera_xxx

Fourth

restart opie

Fifth

1. the libs icon should be in the Settings tab.
2. start the libs
3. follow the instructions and set up opera

...- it should now work

Dan

tombraider

• View Profile
One Last Chance For Oz
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 09:06:34 am »
Thanks, Dan and Jcroto1,

Right now I am concentrating on setting up OpieMail to work.  Then I will tackle Opera.  (cringe)

I think I'm on the trail of why my email doesn't work.  I have satellite Direcway service and I had to put the name of the Direcway smtp server in the smtp settings INSTEAD of my regular hosting service server (the hosting server setting works on the Sharp 3.13 ROM) to send mail.  I was able to send one email - whew!  Now,  for the RECEIVING of email,  I was thinking that maybe OpieMail will not receive emails because I use Msgtag on all my outgoing emails - had a daughter in college and wanted to see if she received my emails even though she didn't reply to them.    Anyway,  I'm still using MSGTAG and maybe that's why my test emails to myself did not work.  Will send emails from my Yahoo account today to see if THEY get through.  Sharp ROM receives the tagged messages fine.

Dan,

What do you mean by
First have you set up the 'dest' lines in /etc/ipkg.conf ? These controls

Funny you should mention it but I thought the one time I got the opera working was when I "updated" through the feed the sharp-compat-libs  but ever since I have been getting errors that it runs out of room to update the libs and then I wind up with a reboot of the Z which calls for a "collie login" - this stymies me because I don't have a collie login or password and so I wind up reflashing.

Someone said they installed Apache and then the sharp lib icon worked (I keep getting "can't find makecompat" when I click on it,  but I couldn't find Apache in the feed - the search in the feed doesn't work anyway so THAT'S no help - it refuses to do a "search next".

For what it's worth, it APPEARS that after a reboot symlinks are automatically created for EVERYTHING that you have installed.

Everything seems to be linked fine as far as the Sharp libs go - after a reboot, but I STILL get "can't find makecompat".  I HAVE for good measure typed all the ipkg-link and mount lines in at the console too,  but that doesn't seems to do anything really except make you feel like you're accomplishing something.

Sorry I sounded irritated in my posting - the wireless syncing and the ability to use the Sandisk Connect Plus card are great features and I can't wait to get the rest of it working.  The wireless syncing is just so cool!

tombraider

• View Profile
One Last Chance For Oz
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 10:02:50 am »
I had to give up.  In an effort to get OpieMail to work - it was showing a "folder initialization error" whenever it tried to fetch mail and it never could fetch mail at all - I got my usual fatal "collie login:" on boot up which would require a reflash AGAIN.  I just don't have the energy for all this.

So if the email doesn't work and I don't have a working browser AND the time as displayed by the device this morning was 12:38 PM when it was 9:55 AM EST and after a suspend the Sandisk card doesn't wake up and it requires a reboot to get it going,,,on and on and on... then what good is the fact that the Sandisk Connect Plus works??

Will wait and see if there are any fixes to this ROM before I try it again.  

CoreDump

• View Profile
    • http://www.hentges.net
One Last Chance For Oz
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 10:13:50 am »
You may want to have a look at this ROM: http://www.hentges.net/misc/openzaurus/oz3...opie1.2.0.shtml

It is basically an OZ 3.5.3 ROM which has tons of apps pre-installed, including sharp-compat-libs (formerly known as oz-compat) and Opie-Mail.

It requires an SD card >=64MB though.
Webmaster of hentges.net & Embedded Linux Developer.

dansawyer

• View Profile
One Last Chance For Oz
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005, 10:50:52 am »
If you decide to go with the Hentges ROM please post your experience.

If you decide to stay with the 3.5.3 ROM:

1. I have found the gui package manager to not be predictable. I use only ipkg and ipkg-link.

2. Do you have ssh working? This is almost a necessity. It allows comtrolling the Z from a terminal screen on the Linux box. I have used it from both a USB connection and a WiFi connection and both work well. If not read the USB post and then bring up ssh.

3.  You can use ipkg from the command line in one of two ways:

3a. you can load a package by "ipkg -d sd install <package>"

3b. or you can edit /etc/ipkg.conf to move dest sd up to first on the list and then "ipkg instlll <package>

4. each of these will then need to be 'linked' from the flash path to the sd by:
"ipkg-link add <package>

Hope this helps:
Dan

tombraider

• View Profile
One Last Chance For Oz
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2005, 12:30:43 pm »
Thanks, everybody - I'm back to the Sharp 3.13 ROM.  Wow, what a relief!  The backup and restore really works, the time is correct, I can send and receive email, and Opera works!   And best of all -  the on/off/cancel button works and I can reboot and install packages without fear.  :-) Whew! I have my awesome startup screen back,  an awesome screensaver,  and  my icons and backgrounds and themes are beautiful!  So glad to get all that back.

I'm not brave enough at the moment to try the Hentges arrangement.  It's Spring and I have a lot of outside work to do.  

Thanks to all who tried to help me.  I may be back if the OZ for the collie is updated and works better....

dansawyer

• View Profile
One Last Chance For Oz
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2005, 12:46:48 pm »
can you sync with linux?

tombraider

• View Profile
One Last Chance For Oz
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2005, 01:41:53 pm »
can you sync with linux?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82157\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I don't want to sync with Linux.  I have Windows XP Home.  But I sure DID like the wireless syncing I was able to do with OZ with Qtopia Desktop for Windows 1.7....it was the ONE thing that worked flawlessly and with lightning speed.

tombraider

• View Profile
One Last Chance For Oz
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2005, 03:24:46 pm »
You may want to have a look at this ROM: http://www.hentges.net/misc/openzaurus/oz3...opie1.2.0.shtml

It is basically an OZ 3.5.3 ROM which has tons of apps pre-installed, including sharp-compat-libs (formerly known as oz-compat) and Opie-Mail.

It requires an SD card >=64MB though.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82139\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Okay,  I just tired this with the 64-0 zimage and first of all - I get 4 choices when it boots up after flash - not knowing anything I chose #1.  Then a blue box did indeed pop up and ask if I wanted to search the sd card for the cardfs file.  I said okay and then it asked if I wanted to format my sd card to ext2???  This was not mentioned in the directions.  I said yes and it booted up but did not install the cardfs files - I have a very bare bones Opie install instead.
What should I do?  I removed the card and looked at it under XP and it says it is still fat.
What is ext2 anyway??  
Mystified in North Carolina...

tombraider

• View Profile
One Last Chance For Oz
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2005, 04:17:59 pm »
Okay, I removed the cardfs from the sd card and put it on the cf card,  then reflashed.  Chose to format the sd card when the red box came up and everything worked fine when it rebooted.
Wow,  I AM impressed.  All those apps already installed. Actually most of them I have no idea what they are for and still no browser but STILL...this is great.  Thank you.
Now one small problem.  My Belkin card lights up but when I go to network it says disconnected for wlan0 AND the card does not show up by name or anything on the card icon in the task bar...just nothing - only the sd card is listed.

I want to sync to my Qtopia 1.7 on the XP wirelessly like I did on the old 3.5.3 install I had which just worked automagically without my doing ANYTHING (well, I went into security and told it to use Qtopia 1.7 and to sync with "any" - that's all that was required)

Can you help me?  I don't know what to enter as IP address Gateway values, etc.  I didn't have to enter anything on my last 3.5.3 install - it was already THERE.