Author Topic: Agere Hermes Ii Wifi Card  (Read 4345 times)

hilarycheng

• View Profile
Agere Hermes Ii Wifi Card
« on: May 31, 2005, 04:23:32 am »
Anyone have interest to test the this wifi driver ? the manfid is 0x0156, 0x0003. If you like to test, u can send a message to me.

Currently, I can only powerup the wifi card. But it seems it can't scan any Ad-Hoc or AP. It got lots of problem on using Wireless Extensions.

(Agere is quite stupid that it doesn't handle cross platform probably. Always mis-alignment on the ARM/XScale Platform..........   )

(Also, I am using Cacko 1.22 ROM.... All the driver is developed on this ROM).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 04:24:06 am by hilarycheng »
----------------------
My Blog

http://hilary.e-fever.org

hilarycheng

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 06:31:37 am »
Finally I can use it for browsing. I am using the Agere Card to post this post.
hm, I need to fix the iwconfig tools... it will finish.

(I am using EagleTec ET-CWB1000 , u can go here to have a look
http://www.eagletec.net)

Anyone have interest to test the this wifi driver ? the manfid is 0x0156, 0x0003. If you like to test, u can send a message to me.

Currently, I can only powerup the wifi card. But it seems it can't scan any Ad-Hoc or AP. It got lots of problem on using Wireless Extensions.

(Agere is quite stupid that it doesn't handle cross platform probably. Always mis-alignment on the ARM/XScale Platform..........   )

(Also, I am using Cacko 1.22 ROM.... All the driver is developed on this ROM).
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82223\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
----------------------
My Blog

patrickcptsang

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005, 03:58:05 pm »
I've got the same eagletec card as yours, and start messing up the driver with my new c-1000, but there was not much success...    

Basically I did the following:
- Downloaded the source for the kernel of c1000 from Sharp's support page (Sharp ROM 1.01 jp)
- Downloaded Archos SDK which (supposingly) supports this Agere HermesII chip set
- Installed working zgcc compiling environment on my Z (shxx! don't have a linux box around...)
- make menuconfig with the kernel source and selected config for akita-j
- Compiled successfully the driver for this chip set (with warning on unresolved function named "init_dev_name", which I later commented out from the source as I couldn't find this function in the kernel source)
- Installed the driver and created network config profile with Sharp's network utility

I managed to power up the card, assigned essid and wep key with iwconfig, and bind static IP address to the interface, but DHCP didn't work and I couldn't ping to any other hosts on the network. There was no error message in /var/log/messages or dmesg (except net.agent complaining don't know how to bring up the interface, due to the lack of ifup in Sharp ROM - I dismissed this as an issue)

I could actually see the traffice light flashing when I was pinging the AP but there was simply no reply. I'm sure the AP is working normally and is not blocking any MAC address, it's just like the card is not receiving anything (DHCP failed as a sign). Did I do something stupid, missed something in building the driver or some assumptions I made above were wrong?

I've been messing with it for almost a month now and I'm on the edge of giving up this wifi card. It'd be a big thanks if you can share your experience and somehow point me to the right direction!
SL-C1000, sharp rom + tetsu kernel, X apps via X/Qt
EagleTec ET-CWB1000 CF Wifi, $6.5USD Sharp CE-AG06 CF Camera, 2 x 1GB Kingston Elite Pro CF, 512MB Kingston CF, 1GB SD
iRiver USB host cable, $9USD USB-Ethernet dongle, $10USD USB-BT dongle, USB CF finger reader, USB SD+MiniSD+MS(Pro) Reader, 30GB 2.5in USB HD with battery power, Sharp CE-170TS Serial Cable

patrickcptsang

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 10:42:47 pm »
At last it works!!!

It turns out that there was no problem with my Z.... I just upgraded the firmware of my 3 year old linksys WLAN router and it worked right away!!

Another happy Z user  
EagleTec ET-CWB1000 CF Wifi, $6.5USD Sharp CE-AG06 CF Camera, 2 x 1GB Kingston Elite Pro CF, 512MB Kingston CF, 1GB SD
iRiver USB host cable, $9USD USB-Ethernet dongle, $10USD USB-BT dongle, USB CF finger reader, USB SD+MiniSD+MS(Pro) Reader, 30GB 2.5in USB HD with battery power, Sharp CE-170TS Serial Cable

idoc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 11:26:51 am »
Hi Patrick,
glad to hear you have had success.
I'm trying to do a similar thing on the C3000 and cannot get
make menuconfig to work despite the zgcc package compiling
simple programs without error.
I was wondering if you could describe how you installed zgcc or point me to a website.
Thanks

Steve

patrickcptsang

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005, 11:50:50 am »
Steve,

you need to install libcurses_5.0 package to get make menuconfig to work.
Wish you good luck with your experiment!

Hi Patrick,
glad to hear you have had success.
I'm trying to do a similar thing on the C3000 and cannot get
make menuconfig to work despite the zgcc package compiling
simple programs without error.
I was wondering if you could describe how you installed zgcc or point me to a website.
Thanks

Steve
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90620\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

chyang

• View Profile
    • http://mail.ustc.edu.cn/~chyang/
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 10:25:02 am »
hi, all:
   I have difficulties in making it run correctly for both of SL-5500 and SL-C3000.
   The 7.18/7.22 doesn't work for my SL-5500, 7.22 crashed the kernel and 7.18 reported some invalid relocation.
   The 7.22 doesn't work for my SL-C3000 either, crashed the kernel, too.

I have also tried the driver from Archos SDK, but on SL-5500, it recognized the card at first and the power LED flashed for several seconds, then it will go back to sleep. From the dmesg shows that it is closed due to some unknown reason. The trace is like:
>wl_adapter_close
>>wl_close
>>>wldisable
<wl_adapter_close

>wl_adapter_event
<wl_adapter_event
sa1100_pcmcia_suspend(0)

Don't know why.

Also compiled the driver for SL-C3000(linux 2.4.20), when insert the card, the power light is always on, while the whole system freeze. Don't know what happened.

Any comments? Thanks.
--
  Chen
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 09:00:37 pm by chyang »
SL-C3200+Symbol CF WIFI+Corsair 2GB SD
SL-5500+Sharp-3.13 ROM+Viking 512MB CF+Kinston 256MB SD
[img]http://sunsetyang.googlepages.com/c3200.gif\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-sig-image\" /][img]http://sunsetyang.googlepages.com/5500.gif\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-sig-image\" /]
Socket CF Bluetooth + EagleTec CF Lan Card + EagleTec CF Modem
Histroy:
[SL-C3000 Cacko 1.23 Beta 1] Sold on 2006/07/27
MA701 CF WIFI + EagleTec CF Bluetooth + D-Link DCF-660W WIFI
[SL5500+Sharp-3.13 ROM+SimpleTech 64MB CF+Hagiwara 128MB SD] Lost on 18,March,04

AvengerMoJo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2005, 09:31:55 pm »

I'm not sure either I just build a 2.6.13-mm for the C3000 and when I plugin the
card it show my productid is not correct. I'm looking into that ...

I have also tried the driver from Archos SDK, but on SL-5500, it recognized the card at first and the power LED flashed for several seconds, then it will go back to sleep. From the dmesg shows that it is closed due to some unknown reason. The trace is like:

I'm not sure which driver to use to be exact ... I look at the source from the Archos.. didn't
seem to see the diffierent ... so I havn't try the Archos either ... which driver you trying to
load?

Also compiled the driver for SL-C3000(linux 2.4.20), when insert the card, the power light is always on, while the whole system freeze. Don't know what happened.

I'm building 2.4.20 today ... after I test it .. I will let you know  

good luck

hilarycheng

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005, 01:57:56 am »
Don't use the source from Wifi Manufactor. Since their driver is not compatible to ARM/XScale. You need to use the Source from Archos. They are using Same Chip as current EagleTec Model.

hi, all:
   I have difficulties in making it run correctly for both of SL-5500 and SL-C3000.
   The 7.18/7.22 doesn't work for my SL-5500, 7.22 crashed the kernel and 7.18 reported some invalid relocation.

>wl_adapter_close
>>wl_close
>>>wldisable
<wl_adapter_close

>wl_adapter_event
<wl_adapter_event
sa1100_pcmcia_suspend(0)

Don't know why.

Any comments? Thanks.
--
  Chen
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=94569\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
----------------------
My Blog

chyang

• View Profile
    • http://mail.ustc.edu.cn/~chyang/
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 03:37:31 am »

I'm not sure either I just build a 2.6.13-mm for the C3000 and when I plugin the
card it show my productid is not correct. I'm looking into that ...

I'm not sure which driver to use to be exact ... I look at the source from the Archos.. didn't
seem to see the diffierent ... so I havn't try the Archos either ... which driver you trying to
load?
I loaded the archos version driver compiled for SL-5500: wlags49_h2_cs.o , it can recognize the card but was suspended by some unknown reason. Don't know the reason. I can use the card on my laptop. It's the same hardware as the SOCKET new version. Really hope it can work so I can use the great card.  
Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 03:40:30 am by chyang »
SL-C3200+Symbol CF WIFI+Corsair 2GB SD
SL-5500+Sharp-3.13 ROM+Viking 512MB CF+Kinston 256MB SD
[img]http://sunsetyang.googlepages.com/c3200.gif\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-sig-image\" /][img]http://sunsetyang.googlepages.com/5500.gif\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-sig-image\" /]
Socket CF Bluetooth + EagleTec CF Lan Card + EagleTec CF Modem
Histroy:
[SL-C3000 Cacko 1.23 Beta 1] Sold on 2006/07/27
MA701 CF WIFI + EagleTec CF Bluetooth + D-Link DCF-660W WIFI
[SL5500+Sharp-3.13 ROM+SimpleTech 64MB CF+Hagiwara 128MB SD] Lost on 18,March,04