Author Topic: Usb Port Powered  (Read 2222 times)

gdog

• View Profile
Usb Port Powered
« on: June 05, 2005, 07:59:15 am »
Haven't tried it yet (too lazy I guess), but does anyone know if, for example my 2.5" HDD enclosure would run without external power off the USB host port of my C1K? I have an 80Gb drive in it and it works fine on my laptop without external power (just using the USB port), and it would sure be nice not to have to carry yet another power cord around.

The enclosure has a power port in addition to the USB port, and an optional powercord and that connects to a PS2 port is available, but I never bought one, and of course neither my laptop nor my Z have a PS2 port anyway.

Regards,

gdog
« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 08:00:33 am by gdog »
You can tell a lot about a man by the condition of his shoes

gdog

• View Profile
Usb Port Powered
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 08:11:41 am »
Haven't tried it yet (too lazy I guess), but does anyone know if, for example my 2.5" HDD enclosure would run without external power off the USB host port of my C1K? I have an 80Gb drive in it and it works fine on my laptop without external power (just using the USB port), and it would sure be nice not to have to carry yet another power cord around.

The enclosure has a power port in addition to the USB port, and an optional powercord and that connects to a PS2 port is available, but I never bought one, and of course neither my laptop nor my Z have a PS2 port anyway.

Regards,

gdog
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82843\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Guess I should have read Meanie's last reply in this earlier thread ( Can The C3000 Power A 1.8" Hd Through Usb Bus ? like the 6000 does ...), which at least givee me the option of using a powered USB hub. Guess there's no getting around the need to carry around yet more gear.

gdog

• View Profile
Usb Port Powered
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 08:26:35 am »
Epiphany!

Since I can hook my 80gb external drive to my laptop and pull the 4gb mircrodrive and 1gb SD cards out of my C1K and plug them both into my laptop I can back up my Z to the external drive in that way, and get better speeds than the USB v.1 that the C1K host offers at the same time.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 08:27:17 am by gdog »