Author Topic: Usb Problems  (Read 1479 times)

benplaut

• View Profile
Usb Problems
« on: June 12, 2005, 05:47:13 pm »
I received my C1000 yesterday from Conics, and am having problems from the start (sharp rom in english)  

when trying to connect to my Ubuntu laptop via TCP/IP (using the supplied cable), the sync screen aborts in a few seconds, regardless of the settings. I decided that i would figure that out later, as long as i had a way to transfer files to the Z, i was OK. Then i tried my Sandisk Cruzer Mini 256mb using the adaptor supplied by Conics. The light on the drive flashed for about 10 seconds, like it does on my laptop, and then... Nothing Else! the light stays solid, but the "Files" tab still only shows Internal Flash  

any help would be appreciated  

Stubear

• View Profile
    • http://
Usb Problems
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 08:03:42 pm »
I received my C1000 yesterday from Conics, and am having problems from the start (sharp rom in english)   

when trying to connect to my Ubuntu laptop via TCP/IP (using the supplied cable), the sync screen aborts in a few seconds, regardless of the settings. I decided that i would figure that out later, as long as i had a way to transfer files to the Z, i was OK. Then i tried my Sandisk Cruzer Mini 256mb using the adaptor supplied by Conics. The light on the drive flashed for about 10 seconds, like it does on my laptop, and then... Nothing Else! the light stays solid, but the "Files" tab still only shows Internal Flash   

any help would be appreciated 
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=83980\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

How are you trying to sync from your Ubuntu laptop? AFAIK the sync software on the Z only works in Windows (why this is a complete mystery, but there are a lot of things like that when Sharp is involved;)).

If you are using Qt Desktop for linux then I'm sorry to tell you that it doesn't work.

To swap files between Z and my lniux box I use ssh. The zaurus is set to "USB - TCP/IP" via the PC-Link app (with an ip address og 192.168.1.201 to match my local network). When the Z is plugged into the usb of the PC, dmesg should show that a new USB device has been added and usbdnet module should be loaded. Depending on your hotplug settings you may need to ifconfig usbd0 to give the interface an ip address.

I'm not sure if conics pre-installs ssh, but you can easily find packages at www.elsix.org.

Your problem with the cruise drive is most probably related to it not being automaounted. Again I'm not sure about Conics, but the default Sharp Rom has no automounting for usb storage devices. Check that the Zaurus is recognmising your usb drive by using dmesg, you should see a bunch of info, the most important is the device that the usb drive has been given (most probably sda) you should see something like
Code: [Select]
USB Mass Storage device found at 3
  sda1

Be aware that some makers of usb drives don't bother to partition the usb flash drive. in this case you might see a number of partitons listed (on my picodrive+ I get sda1, sda2, sda4)

to mount the usb drive manually, try
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbstorageIf you get error messages (or you see a bunch of devices) then try mounting sda directly
mount /dev/sda /mnt/usbstorageIf you get no messages after either of the above commands, the device has mounted successfully, you can see this by just typing "mount"

Hope this gives you some pointers to usb happiness, if you have any other questions please let me know

Stu
SL-C1000, Hand converted to English with Japanese Input
Running X apps via X/Qt
iRiver USB host cable; Diatec P-Cord usb power cable (extendable); Acro's Reel Cable USB (A to A, B, Mini-B,  & Mini-B 8pin); GreenHouse 1Gb PicoDrive+; 2x256Mb Hagiwara SD cards; 128Mb Transcend CF card; 512Mb PQI CF card; AmbiCom WL1100C-CF 11B WLAN card

benplaut

• View Profile
Usb Problems
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 09:07:49 pm »
to mount the usb drive manually, try
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbstorageIf you get error messages (or you see a bunch of devices)...

thanks!

that worked  

i'll mess with the networking when i get home