Author Topic: Converting A 5500 Into A Clamshell  (Read 3906 times)

QJimbo

• View Profile
    • http://
Converting A 5500 Into A Clamshell
« on: June 23, 2005, 02:42:35 pm »
Ok, I love my Zaurus 5500, however, a friend of mine used to have a Psion Revo, and I adored the keyboard and of course the landscape shape. I often run my zaurus in landscape mode because I find it more pleasant to look it. However, obviously while it's in landscape mode you have to buy a pocket top keyboard or whatever to type in this mode, which I don't have.

So here's my plan, lets convert the 5500 into a clamshell! I mean maybe it is a pointless exercise, but my plan shouldn't be too complicated. My idea is to get a broken revo, dismantle, somehow power the keyboard processingy bit of the revo motherboard (dunno if thats possible), and hook that up to an IR LED. Then modify IRK to use those signals.

How possible do you think this is? Am I going insane? Are there better ways of doing this, like mini IR keyboards that are already the same width as the zaurus?
Zaurus SL-5500 - Sharp ROM 3.10, 128MB Lexar CF, Kingston 56K CF Modem.
Wishlist: 1GB SD, Ethernet CF, WiFi CF.

jace48

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 02:59:08 am »
I often run my zaurus in landscape mode because I find it more pleasant to look it.
How do you run in Landscape mode using stock ROM?

My idea is to get a broken revo, dismantle, somehow power the keyboard processingy bit of the revo motherboard (dunno if thats possible), and hook that up to an IR LED. Then modify IRK to use those signals.
I was thinking on similar lines but my idea was to use Sharp Wizard OZ-730 PDA as keyboard, but if I build a serial keyboard I can't access internet using my mobile since it would be also via serial

Or can I use 2 serial devices at a same time? Any idea?

-----------

togomenu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 03:25:32 pm »
OZ supports OTF "Rotate."