Author Topic: Oe For Mot. E680/i  (Read 11305 times)

rpconnect

• View Profile
Oe For Mot. E680/i
« on: July 10, 2005, 05:01:03 pm »
i'm interested in creating an OE build environment for the motorola e680/i linux smart phone and could use some advice.

both the qt-2.3.10 and opie-1.2.0 packages can be built (from scratch, see http://marcus.bluetroll.se/e680/) and run (somewhat) successfully on the phone using linux-ipaq-g++ as the platform specification, and i have tested binaries from h3600 opie_rootfs images (e.g ssh) and they work, so I am hoping that an ipaq machine/distro based build should be a good start.

The problem is the kernel version: the kernel on the phone (2.4.20) cannot be replaced w/o loosing the phones functionality, but the ipaq images (in bz2 format) that i can find seem to be for more recent kernels and a lot doesn't work.

The phone's kernel source is available from sf and ideally I'd like to create a build environment that is based on ipaq settings but builds with the specified kernel sources.  Any advice would be most appreciated!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 05:03:54 pm by rpconnect »

Mickeyl

• View Profile
    • http://www.Vanille.de
Oe For Mot. E680/i
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 06:05:29 pm »
Feel free to join the OE team, read some of our getting started documents, and add some bits to OE to target the phone.
Cheers,

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer | Embedded Linux Freelancer | www.Vanille-Media.de
Consider donating, if you like the software I contribute to.

anmol10

• View Profile
Oe For Mot. E680/i
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 05:37:53 pm »
Hey, I though that the e680i was built using the MontaVista embedded environemnt, and pretty much locked out until Motorola decided to give developers permissions?

Otherwise, applications developed  for the Zaurus would be a very close match with the e680i.

-Anmol

rpconnect

• View Profile
Oe For Mot. E680/i
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 12:53:03 am »
Hey, I though that the e680i was built using the MontaVista embedded environemnt, and pretty much locked out until Motorola decided to give developers permissions?
that is correct.  however opie can be compiled against the same kernel as in the phone and, with the exception of some bugs (e.g. sound), it works fine, so i'd like to see this extended to as many packages as possible.  i've also been able to get Xqt built to work on the phone based on the bitbake build process.
Otherwise, applications developed  for the Zaurus would be a very close match with the e680i.

-Anmol
[div align=\"right\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Some arm-compiled apps can be taken from some zaurus/ipaq feeds and will run on the phone, but not all.  To make things completely compatable they have to be rebuilt w/ a soft-float enabled compiler.   Additionally, the qt-libs cannot be replaced on the phone w/o loosing the phone functionality (the kernel sources are available at source forge, but the source for the phone apps is not available).  To make opie (compiled against qt-2.3.10) and the native phone apps (based on qt-2.3.6, i think) the qt source has to be patched so that a proxy app can act as an intermediator (see [a href=\"http://www.rcsc.sisrs.com/mfc/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1148]http://www.rcsc.sisrs.com/mfc/index.php?na...iewtopic&t=1148[/url] )

now that there is a tested cross-compiling toolchain and the kernel source is available i am trying to specify these as ASSUME_PROVIDED in the bitbake conf files, and apply the patches to the qt source, but i don't have either a lot of experience w/ this or time to work on it.....
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 01:30:03 pm by rpconnect »

Tom61

• View Profile
Oe For Mot. E680/i
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 06:51:31 pm »
Just a note, rpconnect: You should leave a space inbetween URLs and the the closing ')'.

rpconnect

• View Profile
Oe For Mot. E680/i
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 01:28:20 pm »
@tom61
thanks for the tip, i'll edit the post to correct it.

Ferret-Simpson

• View Profile
Oe For Mot. E680/i
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 03:09:01 pm »
I'll give a 400G bar of Cadburies fruit and nut to the first person who can show a video clip of ZarPSX ACTUALLY REALLY UNFAKELY running on this phone.

On a more serious note, This sounds good. This could be a decent alternative to having to DIY a tuxphone.

I SAY POOL RESOURCES! MOST IMPORTANT THING WE'VE EVER DONE!

I will provide random encouragement! And jokes about Bellringers.
Cortana: PXA250/Poodle: OZ/GPE 3.4.2RC1
Tycho PXA270/HTC_Universal WM5  .30.107/1.09.00/42.42.P8/1.30.162
HollyWatch: Fossil AU5005 - POS 4.1.2
ATLANTIS: Fujitsu Lifebook T4210 TBPC2005

Tosh256CF, Adlink CF 802.11B, 512KingSD, 128VikSD, CFChiMeiG1GPRS