Author Topic: Serial Keyboard For Simpad  (Read 8000 times)

Snappy

• View Profile
    • http://
Serial Keyboard For Simpad
« on: July 21, 2005, 12:14:15 pm »
Hi there,

I am thinking of using a ps2 FEMALE <-> 9DIN MALE adapter to convert a ps2 keyboard so that it can plug directly to the luxemberg cable with its 9DIN FEMALE plug.

For now, I am going to write a simple app to listen on the comm port for wince *gasp*. This should give me the raw keyboard scan codes coming in from the keyboard which I will use to send key strokes to the wince system.

Of cos, if there is a ready solution, it would be great too! Short of getting a $50+ iBiz keyboard, I hope this will work.

I know you can use the belkin ir keyboard as well, but my ir on the SL4 is dead (I think) and I believe repairing it could be more expensive than the iBiz keyboard.

Any ideas or comments appreciated!

The adapter is found here ...
    Serial Mouse Adapter
DB9 Male/MiniDin 6 Female
http://www.viking-tech.com/Adapters.htm
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 12:16:02 pm by Snappy »
Snappy!
------------------------
Akita (Daily use)
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>SL-C1000 with Cacko 1.23 full
Accessories: Wifi XI-825 CF  |  16GB (6) SDHC (Transcend) | 1GB 80x CF (RiDATA PRO-2) </span>

Collie (Sandbox)
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>SL-5500 with OZ/GPE 3.5.4.1 alpha3 build 2006-04-27
Accessories: 512MB A-Data SD | 64MB Toshiba SD</span>

mike.w

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 07:47:32 pm »
Learn morse code and write an app to read one or more of the very few buttons on the Simpad.  Sorry, I am of no help.

Tom61

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 11:32:01 pm »
PS/2 and RS-232 are electrically incompatable. That adapter is only for mice that are both PS/2 and RS-232, and it just terminates the proper pins to tell the mouse to go into RS-232 mode.

You'll need a complex adapter to go from PS/2 keyboard to RS-232, either PIC or AVR driven, like this one: http://www.iptel-now.de/HOWTO/PS2SER/ps2ser.html

Snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 02:21:21 pm »
Gee ... no wonder there is a keyboard controller onboard motherboards!  ... thanks for the info Tom!
Snappy!
------------------------
Akita (Daily use)
Accessories: Wifi XI-825 CF  |  16GB (6) SDHC (Transcend) | 1GB 80x CF (RiDATA PRO-2) </span>

Collie (Sandbox)
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>SL-5500 with OZ/GPE 3.5.4.1 alpha3 build 2006-04-27

albertr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 02:28:14 pm »
I think old SUN keyboards might use serial protocol.
-albertr

Snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005, 09:32:08 pm »
ah I see ... hmmm ... how about any of the pda keyboards? They do use serial protocol too? Then maybe an adapter cable can convert such a keyboard for use with the SL4? Just need to write a driver for it.
Snappy!
------------------------
Akita (Daily use)

Collie (Sandbox)

wavetossed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2005, 11:14:08 am »
You need a serial keyboard like the ones used with older PALMs before Bluetooth keyboards became popular. There is a driver for the OPIE Simpads that will work with some serial keyboards. It is called QPE-Flexis so presumably it will work with any of the roll-up flexible keyboards that used to be sold under the Flexis brand. This keyboard is still being sold but it has a completely different name now. In any case, it is a rubber type material that you can literally roll up into a cylinder the size of a toilet roll tube.

I did manage to find a serial keyboard for my old Palm V on ebay earlier this year and there were several auctions to choose from. That may be the best bet.

Tom61

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005, 04:25:38 pm »
ah I see ... hmmm ... how about any of the pda keyboards? They do use serial protocol too? Then maybe an adapter cable can convert such a keyboard for use with the SL4? Just need to write a driver for it.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89258\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

They do use a serial protocol, however, the voltage signaling levels are not the same as RS-232. You'd need a chip to convert the voltage levels to RS-232 compatable levels.

know you can use the belkin ir keyboard as well, but my ir on the SL4 is dead (I think) and I believe repairing it could be more expensive than the iBiz keyboard.

Your best bet may be to get a serial IRDA adapter (about $20) and pairing it with a cheap IR keyboard from Ebay. There's at least one Serial to IRDA cable that has the IR part on the end of 2 foot long cord, then attach that end to the keyboard.

Snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005, 11:57:06 am »
Tom61, thanks for the info and tip!

btw, would that mean I need a relevant irda driver on the SL4 or does it mean I can use other apps via the serial port without knowing that it is really ending with an irda port?
Snappy!
------------------------
Akita (Daily use)

Collie (Sandbox)

Tom61

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2005, 05:57:02 pm »
Tom61, thanks for the info and tip!

btw, would that mean I need a relevant irda driver on the SL4 or does it mean I can use other apps via the serial port without knowing that it is really ending with an irda port?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89789\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Should be transparent to the system, it'll be seen as serial.

mr_nice

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2005, 04:05:39 pm »
The Palm V Keyboard works great - I am writing this text with it
the voltage isn't a problem - it does not kill my keyboard or my simpad!
but I can not guarante you this for yours .
the pinout is just copied form 1

Pilot Connector Pin    PC serial port    Usage
    2                   4 - DTR           +3,3V - from Palm to KBD
    3          2 - RD            Palm RD - from KBD to Palm
    4          7 - RTS           RTS - Request to Send - from Palm to KBD
    7                                     Palm GPI1 - to Palm - triggers HotSync usually
   10          5 - GND           Ground

you yust have to convert it to the simpad pinouts 2
I used the kbdd driver and the stowaway keyboard type.
Have fun!

1 http://www.iptel-now.de/HOWTO/SER_PALM_KBD/ser_palm_kbd.html
2 http://opensimpad.org/internals.0.html#218

Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 11:57:22 am »
Hi :-)

I have a nice serial keyboard from Datacomp Electronics ... works great with WinCE 3.x on SL4 ... now I want to try it with Similar GPE 0.8.x ...

Did anyone know which of this keyboards in system settings "keys and buttons" is compatible with my DPK62AV Version 3.1?

What about getty running on /dev/ttySA0 ... I change serial setting from "console" to "none" ... killed getty ... it will get up again :-(

What about running xkbd ?

Read about serial keyboard at this page

THX
Martin
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 11:59:53 am by Martin »
--------------------------------------------------------
sl-c860 /w pdaXrom 1.1.0 Kathrin r121
CF 1GB , SD 2GB + 1GB + 512MB , MMC 512MB
Netgear MA701 WLAN 801b
Asus WL-HDD2.5 (very nice thing) /w 60 GB
--------------------------------------------------------
PC/Notebook SuSE 10.1 Prof. / KDE3.5.4