Author Topic: Setting Up Wifi Problem/questions  (Read 11280 times)

Syrae

• View Profile
Setting Up Wifi Problem/questions
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2005, 07:23:34 pm »
Bah.. BAH!  I SAY!

Okay, I added an entry to config.opts.
Code: [Select]
#Attempt to get the D-Link DCF-650W working
card "D-Link DCF-650W"
  version "D-Link", "DCF-650W"
  manfid 0xd601, 0x0002
  #bind "orinoco_cs"
  bind "host_ap"

I'm having odd problems, though, which highlight that I have no real idea of what I'm doing.  When I first added the entry, I didn't have the host_ap line, and the orinoco_cs line was uncommented.  I popped in the card after it started up and it recognized it fine.  The output of dmesg, ifconfig, and iwconfig basically said that it was bound to eth0.  I thought that was funky, so I edited config.opts to what you see above.  At that point it started recognizing it as the XI-300 again.  I got frustrated, and uncommented out the XI-300 lines in /etc/pcmcia/config and it still recognized it as the XI-300, so I rebooted the Z.  More or less, I did a bunch of commenting and uncommenting, and it feels like it randomly detects the right card only about 25% of the time, and only when it's bound to orinoco.  (Of course, there is the irritating problem that the Z only restarts properly about 25% of the time as well, and that seems to be completely random.  I have to keep using the restart button in the battery compartment.    )

Okay... I am absolutely sure that it misidentifies the card as the XI-300 when I try to bind the DCF-650W to host_ap instead of orinoco.  Fine.  Tomorrow I will edit /etc/network/interfaces to define the eth0 adapter have the same info as the wlan0 adapter and hope it works that way.  Sheesh.    

I know if it's misidentifying my card as a card that I have COMPLETELY commented out, then there's some other file in the mix that I don't know about that's messing things up.

Syrae

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2005, 11:35:46 am »
Yay!!! I bent a pin inside the CF slot!!!  

I don't think I was meant to succeed...  

Syrae

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2005, 11:39:58 am »
I unbent the pin (using this handy dandy plastic knife) and plugged in the card.  Despite it being recognized and using the orinoco_cs drivers, it's still not pulling the wireless configuration info from /etc/network/interfaces.  I really think that either the syntax is just plain wrong or it needs to go in a different file.

Syrae

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2005, 12:03:52 pm »
For hostap_cs there is a .o file for it in /lib/modules/2.4.18-rmk7-pxa3-embedix/pcmcia/ but, there is no entry for the driver in the /etc/pcmcia/config file, which would explain why I can't use that driver.  It's simply not defined.  This is getting WAY too complicated.

Syrae

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2005, 07:17:32 pm »
Just ignore me, I'm rambling now, and I think I have enough tools in my little mini Linux toolbox now to be able to track down my wireless problem...

Okay, I tried using a totally different and newer wireless card I canabalized off a different device... (Mwahahahahaa... *rubs hands maniacally*)  Unfortunately, it uses the default settings as well (for wlan0).  Obviously whatever script that goes through and reads /etc/network/interfaces just doesn't like the syntax.  

I dug around some more and I found this little Debian script over in /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wireless-tools:
Code: [Select]
# Detect and do nothing for linux-wlan-ng interfaces;
# which are configured by thier own if-pre-up script.
if [ -n "$IF_WIRELESS_TYPE" -a "$IF_WIRELESS_TYPE" = "wlan-ng" ]; then
  exit 0
fi

Well, that probably doesn't help.... It could be that the script is just detecting that I'm trying to use wlan_ng and it just exits as soon as it sees that, and no other script takes over.  Frankly, there are no other scripts in if-pre-up.d and no other pre-up stuff, so I think that there is nothing there to handle wlan-ng that I can see easily.  Kay, I don't need to use wlan_ng, I just want it to work and get set properly.

The driver that my current test card uses appears to be hostap_cs, so that means it's a more advanced version of the prism2_cs driver.  That means that I don't have to use wlan_ng to get it set up.

Update:  I have WiFi working with this Linksys card.  My conclusion is that:

1) The D-Link DCF-650W, though supported previously (or was just lucky to get set right previously), is not currently supported.

2) You have to manually set the /etc/network/interfaces file to get things right.

3) DON'T use wlan_ng.  If the driver uses hostap_cs, then don't.  Most cards use hostap over prism2 now, and prism2 is the one that used wlan_ng.

4) The syntax for the wireless is moderately simple.  It's pretty much "wireless_<function> <value>" where the function is one of the parameters for iwconfig like essid or key. For a list of iwconfig parameters and valid values, see the iwconfig man page.

5) You can tell what cards are and aren't supported by looking through the files in /etc/pcmcia.  An easy way to check is find the manufacturer of your card like Linksys or D-Link.  You can look to see if it's generally supported by typing cat /etc/pcmcia/config | grep "Linksys", where Linksys is the name of your card's manufaturer (and it's case sensitive.)  To see if it's supported by hostap, type cat /etc/pcmcia/hostap_cs.conf | grep "Linksys".  If your exact card shows up on the list, then your card is supported.  For example, I have a Linksys card with a model number of WCF12, and I see a line in the output of both commands that says card "Linksys WCF12 Wireless CompactFlash Card", so it's supported by both the general recognition as well as the hostap driver.

I fixed it!  To bad I just didn't know it was because it wasn't supported and the script was broken, then the second script wasn't correct for this enviroment.

SteveConley

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2005, 09:17:34 am »
(Poodle, 1GB TopRam SD, 1GB SimpleTech CF, Socket LP Wlan CF)

Although in other forums I find reference to the fact that the Socket (Spectrum24) wireless drivers are "out of the box" in OpenZaurus - I can't find the box.

/etc/pcmia/config has no mention of the card which has this signature:
Socket
CF+ LP WLAN Card Rev A 1.00
MANFID 0x104 0x0001 function 6 (network)

when you do a cardctl ident.

I find no mention of the drivers in the feed.

When I insert (or boot) with the card in the CF slot, it say "unsupported device" on the eject bar.

This card worked under Sharp's ROM - although WEP didn't, of course.

Any clues?

Thanks.
(Poodle, TOPRAM 1GB SD, SimpleTech 1GB CF, Socket LP WLan CF)

djacco

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2005, 04:56:11 pm »
yet another question,
I got a z860 secondhand it had pdaxrom on it and I flashed to cacko 1.22
my linksys wcf-12 is having trouble connecting to the open neighbourhood network ... Card is recognized bij de Z and I set everything the same as my laptop with connenction (win xp) but still no connection on the zaurus ... light is flashing for a few seconds and then dies out with the message connection was failed ...

these are my settings:
ssid: linksys
network: infrastructure
wep: disable
pppnoe: nothing set
web auth: nothing set
ip: automatic
dns: automatic
proxy: none

So HELP ! I have no clue where to start looking or what to do :-)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 04:58:16 pm by djacco »

berte74

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2005, 02:13:15 pm »
Okay, I didn't know that iwconfig changes weren't permanent.  I'm just trying anything at the moment. 

So...  what I need to do is figure out the right syntax for the interfaces file because at the moment, it's not recognizing anything that has to do with the wireless as far as I can tell.  Is there some good source pertaining to that?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=88051\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I realize you have probably long since resolved the issue, but recently it was discovered that the Opie network config app basically lies and does not make setting changes quite often.  We ended up simply using iwconfig in all cases and that seems to work properly.

Our project uses multicast and we have set the IPs static, would you happen to know how the route tables can be configured automatically?  This is done manually for now, but is a hassle when a Zaurus is rebooted.