Author Topic: Xfce4 Finetuning  (Read 119173 times)

Chero

• View Profile
    • http://users.telenet.be/zaurususer/Chero
Xfce4 Finetuning
« Reply #120 on: November 27, 2005, 07:56:23 am »
hey chero,
i was a big fan of your xfce ipks for rc10 and am trying to get the latest packages working for rc12/SL-6000. However, it gives me

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'
XIO: Fatal error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0" after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining

Do i need anything besides the main xfce4 for the bare minimum to get it running?
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks!
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105083\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

have you installed the "xlibs" package that is in my ipkg-list ? If you did, that's the problem.

To repair this : edit startxfce4 and comment out the section that loads the fonts.

You don't need the xlibs package to run xfce4 (in fact nothing is based on it yet).

bare minimum : just xfce4 & the pinned libstdcxx, the rest should be on your system.

Chero.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 07:58:55 am by Chero »
HP-95LX -> HP Jornada 680 -> SL-C860 -> SL-C3100 -> Fuji u810 -> SL-C1000 -> HTC uni -> SL-C860 -> SL-C760.
March 12 2009 : Back because the Zaurus is one of a kind.
SL-C760 : pdaXrom
Pandora pre-ordered -> received and tested : great device but not my cup of tea -> sold.

Chero

• View Profile
Xfce4 Finetuning
« Reply #121 on: November 27, 2005, 09:01:25 am »
You don't need the xlibs package to run xfce4 (in fact nothing is based on it yet).
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105106\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

For those who are wondering :
The xlibs package contains some binaries, libs and fonts that were left out pdaXrom. I just compiled it to see what I could add to my Z and to compile some other apps against.

Also, it contains "xeyes", "xcalc" and "xclock", and some apps I played with on my HP-Apollo running HP-UX in the early 90ties. "xcalc -rpn" gives you a hp15c (hp11c) based calculator.

The package seems to mess up the fonts, but by leaving the font section out "startx" or "startxfce4" everything runs just fine.

Install or use at your own risk.
HP-95LX -> HP Jornada 680 -> SL-C860 -> SL-C3100 -> Fuji u810 -> SL-C1000 -> HTC uni -> SL-C860 -> SL-C760.
Pandora pre-ordered -> received and tested : great device but not my cup of tea -> sold.

takuan

• View Profile
Xfce4 Finetuning
« Reply #122 on: November 27, 2005, 06:02:08 pm »
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105106\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Thanks much! that was the problem. However, it must have messed something up b/c after that when i went to package manger it would freeze. Also, 22Megs in my RAM somehow got filled up. I'm not quite sure what happened but i had to reflash.
I got xfce4 working good with my new rc12 but after i went back to matchbox and downloaded some ipks, when i went back to xfce my settings weren't saved how i had them before and everytime i add the "menu" icon the bottom toolbar just dissapears.. =P -=(
Any clue about what is happening now?
Thanks much!

gab74

• View Profile
Xfce4 Finetuning
« Reply #123 on: November 28, 2005, 03:48:17 am »
hey chero,
first of all i want to thank you very much for the beautifull web pages on installing XFCE4.
I've installed it on my SL C3100 (i see you have a 3100 too !!!) following your infos on your web site.
I've a little problem....
i cannot uses all the blue key (all the keys with Fn) so for example i cannot type = (and enabling rox....)
in matchbox all works well so what am i missing ???
I've installed all the base goodies you say in your web pages but when i start xfce i've no pdaxrom menu...no applet....and i do not find any menu with all my programs....
Please may hou help me ? Thanks !
Gabriele
NOW : C3100 (code name Laudicus)- SOCKETCOMM CF MODEM 56K - CF GPS GLOBASAT BC-307 - BLUETOOTH CF BELKIN - ETHERNET CF TRENDNET TE-CF100
BEFORE: SL6000L (code name Anselmus) - 512MB SD - 256MB CF - SOCKETCOMM CF MODEM 56K - CF GPS GLOBASAT BC-307

Chero

• View Profile
Xfce4 Finetuning
« Reply #124 on: November 28, 2005, 04:38:06 pm »
hey chero,
first of all i want to thank you very much for the beautifull web pages on installing XFCE4.
I've installed it on my SL C3100 (i see you have a 3100 too !!!) following your infos on your web site.
I've a little problem....
i cannot uses all the blue key (all the keys with Fn) so for example i cannot type = (and enabling rox....)
in matchbox all works well so what am i missing ???
I've installed all the base goodies you say in your web pages but when i start xfce i've no pdaxrom menu...no applet....and i do not find any menu with all my programs....
Please may hou help me ? Thanks !
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105190\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

check your PM for 2 modified files.

Chero

• View Profile
Xfce4 Finetuning
« Reply #125 on: November 28, 2005, 04:40:34 pm »

Thanks much! that was the problem. However, it must have messed something up b/c after that when i went to package manger it would freeze. Also, 22Megs in my RAM somehow got filled up. I'm not quite sure what happened but i had to reflash.
I got xfce4 working good with my new rc12 but after i went back to matchbox and downloaded some ipks, when i went back to xfce my settings weren't saved how i had them before and everytime i add the "menu" icon the bottom toolbar just dissapears.. =P -=(
Thanks much!
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105158\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

can you get it back by typing "xfce4-panel &" in an aterm ?

takuan

• View Profile
Xfce4 Finetuning
« Reply #126 on: November 29, 2005, 08:09:25 pm »

Thanks much!
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105158\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105288\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

yep..I can get it back, however it does not fix the problem that i can't get the xfce menu added. It'll still just crash everytime i try to add it. =( However, this time i got the message "Gtk-warning: attempting to add a widget with type GtkImage to a GtkEventBox. but as a gtk bin subclass
can only contain one at a time". So somehow it thinks that its already been added to the panel. I've tried deleting .config and going from scratch but with no luck either. The desktop background wouldn't show either until i added rox. Any clues?
thanks for the help
  takuan

Chero

• View Profile
Xfce4 Finetuning
« Reply #127 on: November 30, 2005, 02:16:56 am »

Thanks much!

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105288\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

yep..I can get it back, however it does not fix the problem that i can't get the xfce menu added. It'll still just crash everytime i try to add it. =( However, this time i got the message "Gtk-warning: attempting to add a widget with type GtkImage to a GtkEventBox. but as a gtk bin subclass
can only contain one at a time". So somehow it thinks that its already been added to the panel. I've tried deleting .config and going from scratch but with no luck either. The desktop background wouldn't show either until i added rox. Any clues?
thanks for the help
  takuan
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105493\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

If you have no background without rox then xfdesktop isn't running. The menu is part of "xfdesktop". Try launching xfdesktop from an aterm :
Code: [Select]
# xfdesktop &
If it doesn't work (or segfaults), some files are broken. The best thing to do then is to reinstall xfce4. I got this behaviour when running xfce4 from SD on a C860, I never had it again when I installed xfce4 to / (just the base and a few plugins that gave me errors when trying to install them to SD). The plugins don't take up a lot of space, so I didn't bother to fix the ipkgs.

Chero.

gab74

• View Profile
Xfce4 Finetuning
« Reply #128 on: November 30, 2005, 02:57:02 am »
Is there a way to switch from 640x480 to 320x240 ?
i try to use Fn+1 Fn+2 as under match box but it doesent work.
I know i can use xrandr but how can i map Fn+1 and Fn+2 under xfce too ???
i'm using 3100
Gabriele
NOW : C3100 (code name Laudicus)- SOCKETCOMM CF MODEM 56K - CF GPS GLOBASAT BC-307 - BLUETOOTH CF BELKIN - ETHERNET CF TRENDNET TE-CF100
BEFORE: SL6000L (code name Anselmus) - 512MB SD - 256MB CF - SOCKETCOMM CF MODEM 56K - CF GPS GLOBASAT BC-307

web-angel

• View Profile
    • http://
Xfce4 Finetuning
« Reply #129 on: November 30, 2005, 03:19:25 am »
Is there a way to switch from 640x480 to 320x240 ?
i try to use Fn+1 Fn+2 as under match box but it doesent work.
I know i can use xrandr but how can i map Fn+1 and Fn+2 under xfce too ???
i'm using 3100
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105518\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Into the Xfce4 Settings Manager go to "Windows Manager" option and then you have "keyboard" setting.
On the bottom you can add command shortcut to restore the zoom and the brightness feature :

for brightness : setfl - or setfl +

for zoom : xrandr -s 0 or xrandr -s 1

I have also had shortcut for sutdown the Z or for the screen rotation ....

Not that you can change the Windows manager shortcut and you have a wonderfull option : toggle fullscreen that can display your current windows without xfce bars or windwos title ...
SL-C860 / PdaXrom RC12 - CF Wifi linksys - Sd 512 (ext2) Cf 512 (fat)

web-angel

• View Profile
    • http://
Xfce4 Finetuning
« Reply #130 on: December 01, 2005, 12:01:30 pm »
Is it a way to have 2 panels ? One is good ... two is better  
SL-C860 / PdaXrom RC12 - CF Wifi linksys - Sd 512 (ext2) Cf 512 (fat)

Chero

• View Profile
Xfce4 Finetuning
« Reply #131 on: December 01, 2005, 03:22:31 pm »
Is it a way to have 2 panels ? One is good ... two is better 
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105695\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Do you mean in the same session ? Then the answer is not with the current version. It should be possible in xfce4 4.4.x. But as discussed before, there are some things I don't like in the upcoming 4.4

If you mean in different sessions, then the answer is yes. Just save the sessions under different names.

Chero.

takuan

• View Profile
Xfce4 Finetuning
« Reply #132 on: December 01, 2005, 06:39:22 pm »
Ok, so i reflashed and reinstalled xfce4.
Everything seems to work fine now. =] yay

ShiroiKuma

• View Profile
Xfce4 Finetuning
« Reply #133 on: December 02, 2005, 10:18:27 am »
Is there a problem with Suspend in XFCE4?

I have the following issue, I set for instance to suspend after 1 minute on battery and only turn off LCD after 1 minute on AC. But it always does either suspend on battery or AC. Or when I go to the Light and Power settings again and reset them, then it only turns of LCD whether on battery or AC.

Why is this?

This is a big problem, because my battery keeps running out when it doesn't suspend and conversely the Z hangs when it suspends in the middle of compiling stuff or so...

Anyone seen this behavior?
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']Das ganze tschechische Volk ist eine Simulantenbande.[/font][/span]
Militäroberarzt Bautze

Chero

• View Profile
Xfce4 Finetuning
« Reply #134 on: December 02, 2005, 11:16:39 am »
Is there a problem with Suspend in XFCE4?

I have the following issue, I set for instance to suspend after 1 minute on battery and only turn off LCD after 1 minute on AC. But it always does either suspend on battery or AC. Or when I go to the Light and Power settings again and reset them, then it only turns of LCD whether on battery or AC.

Why is this?

This is a big problem, because my battery keeps running out when it doesn't suspend and conversely the Z hangs when it suspends in the middle of compiling stuff or so...

Anyone seen this behavior?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105793\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

The problem is not suspend, it's the Z not knowing whether it's on AC or not.
When you run the "Light and Power settings"-app, it detects whether it's on AC or not and changes the settings.
This should be done automatically whenever you put in or pull out the ac-plug.
Does anyone have a suggestion how we could do this ?

Chero.