Author Topic: Newbie 1000 Questions  (Read 2527 times)

apink

• View Profile
Newbie 1000 Questions
« on: August 02, 2005, 04:30:14 pm »
I am thinking of moving from palm to linux with an sl-c1000.  I have some questions:

I use my pda at work for data entry into a spreadsheet.  In order for this to work smoothly I need to be able to turn the machine on and have access to the spreadsheet fairly quickly.  The palm does this nicely.  Is there a delay in getting the zaurus going?  How long?  I understand that there is a lengthy boot process.  Is there a sleep mode that will allow me to save on batteries throughout the day and still have quick access to the machine?  Does this depend on which OS I have running?

The pricejapan price is nice.  Can anyone comment on the English conversion?  Does pricejapan convert?  If so, is this conversion effective enough for me to get the zaurus up and running nicely?  If not, is there a good howto on the web that will allow me to get going on my own?  I have some experience with linux and currently have debian running on my laptop.  Does someone else have a nice inexpensive conversion?

Does anyone have a guess as to when Sharp might be releasing the sl-c1500, with built in wi-fi (or alternately a second [internal] cf-slot) and 256 megs ram?  (Pure speculation on the model number and features, but we can dream can’t we?)

When the z is used as a usb hard drive, do all memory devices show up as drives on the desktop computer?  (CF, SD, internal flash?)  Does it make a difference if your desktop is linux? Windows?  Do you need special drivers for the z, or do normal hard-drive drivers do the trick?  (I’d like to be able to pop the zaurus into computers at work and have my files show up.)

On some screen shots the fonts do not appear to be smooth.  Is this a persistent problem?  

Lot’s of questions, but the thing is not cheap and I want to know if it will suit my needs before I plunk down the change.
--current use--
linux chroot on top of lineage  on cell phone

--past handhelds--
pandora
ben nanonote
zaurus sl-c1000

omro

• View Profile
    • http://
Newbie 1000 Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 04:46:58 pm »
I use my pda at work for data entry into a spreadsheet.  In order for this to work smoothly I need to be able to turn the machine on and have access to the spreadsheet fairly quickly.  The palm does this nicely.  Is there a delay in getting the zaurus going?  How long?  I understand that there is a lengthy boot process.  Is there a sleep mode that will allow me to save on batteries throughout the day and still have quick access to the machine?  Does this depend on which OS I have running?

You boot up the Zaurus once. After that point, it's instant on and off like any other PDA.
Hancom Sheet which comes with the Zaurus is pretty fast, pretty basic, but enough for most spreadsheet needs.

The pricejapan price is nice.  Can anyone comment on the English conversion?  Does pricejapan convert?  If so, is this conversion effective enough for me to get the zaurus up and running nicely?  If not, is there a good howto on the web that will allow me to get going on my own?  I have some experience with linux and currently have debian running on my laptop.  Does someone else have a nice inexpensive conversion?

I bought my Z via shirtpocket in the UK, but trisoft in Germany also sell them and both provide good conversions.

Does anyone have a guess as to when Sharp might be releasing the sl-c1500, with built in wi-fi (or alternately a second [internal] cf-slot) and 256 megs ram?  (Pure speculation on the model number and features, but we can dream can’t we?)

no clue

When the z is used as a usb hard drive, do all memory devices show up as drives on the desktop computer?  (CF, SD, internal flash?)  Does it make a difference if your desktop is linux? Windows?  Do you need special drivers for the z, or do normal hard-drive drivers do the trick?  (I’d like to be able to pop the zaurus into computers at work and have my files show up.)

can't answer that one, I've never plugged my Z into my mac or pc yet.

On some screen shots the fonts do not appear to be smooth.  Is this a persistent problem? 

The fonts on mine are not antialiased, or if they are, they don't appear to be. This is using the Sharp stock Rom. The number of fonts is pretty low, infact if anyone knows how to add more, I would be keen to know. Antialiased fonts are not a big deal.

Lot’s of questions, but the thing is not cheap and I want to know if it will suit my needs before I plunk down the change.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90546\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Wise to ask. Sorry it took so long for someone to answer. Not sure my answers are quite what you wanted.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2005, 04:48:22 pm by omro »
Zaurus C-1000

apink

• View Profile
Newbie 1000 Questions
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 07:37:14 pm »
Thanks omro.         I have never even seen a Zaurus so I don't really have an idea of how they compare to other PDA's as far as usability.

I have heard different things on these discussions about english conversions:  Either PriceJapan does or does not convert.  Could anyone who has purchased through PJ tell me if they do?  

I plan on installing cacko or some such.  Is it easy to do this on an unconverted machine or does the Z have to be converted to english first.
--current use--

--past handhelds--
pandora
ben nanonote
zaurus sl-c1000

omro

• View Profile
Newbie 1000 Questions
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 06:52:30 am »
As far as I'm aware, it's pretty easy
Zaurus C-1000

scheck.r

• View Profile
Newbie 1000 Questions
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2005, 04:14:38 pm »
I got my Zaurus SL-C1000 from PriceJapan.
It's the cheapest place, they are extremely reliable, prompt and fast but be aware that the waranty is only available in Japan so in case you encounter a hardware problem you have to send it to Japan.

If you want 1 year waranty in your country you have to buy from Dynamism(US), Streamline(US), Trisoft(Europe), Xtops.de maybe others.
If you are in Europe, I highly recommend Trisoft as you have 1 year waranty, a decent price, the right power adapter, english converted unit, many preinstalled applications, a contact on this forum, serious guys who love the Z and willing to help you out.
If the lack of waranty doesn't bother you, you can try to buy from Conics.net, or Lolzer.com who provide their own worldwide power adapter suitable for Europe.

My Z came with a power adapter that is only useable in Japan and maybe US but for sure not in Europe, I bought a worldwide power adapter from ebay for $35.
I have heard different things on these discussions about english conversions: Either PriceJapan does or does not convert. Could anyone who has purchased through PJ tell me if they do?
The Z was not converted to english but it's a piece of cake to do it by restoring a NAND backup downloadable from Trisoft website along with a well written User Manual in english. Basically, conversion is not an issue.
I plan on installing cacko or some such. Is it easy to do this on an unconverted machine or does the Z have to be converted to english first.
You will soon want to flash your Z, many languages are supported for each distribution(Cacko(available soon), PdaXrom, OzOpie, OzGPE). As you are interested in flashing with Cacko ROM, the conversion will be automatically done during the flashing process.
Is there a sleep mode that will allow me to save on batteries throughout the day and still have quick access to the machine? Does this depend on which OS I have running?
Each distribution has a sleeping mode
I have some experience with linux and currently have debian running on my laptop. Does someone else have a nice inexpensive conversion?
If so you will have no problem using your Z.
On some screen shots the fonts do not appear to be smooth. Is this a persistent problem?
There are extra fonts available in the cacko feed.

To sum up I think the best for you is to check Meanie's website which contains every answers for those using SharpROM.
SL-C1000 from PriceJapan(cheap and very fast shipping) with EA-70 power adapter, iRiver USB Host cable, PDAIR case, pentopia stylus, ultra clear screen-protector from shop.brando.com.hk only $3 for shipping worldwide
4GB Hitachi Microdrive, 1GB Kingston Elite Pro CF, 4GB Transcend 150x SD, Symbol Spectrum 4137 CF WiFi(low power)
PdaXrom pdaxii13 5.4.9 updated with Kkazakov13's feed. I owned a SL-6000L before

bam

• View Profile
    • http://thegrinder.ws
Newbie 1000 Questions
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2005, 05:05:13 pm »
hey look its a n00b, wait, I am a n00b! Welcome to the terror that is Zaurus
SL-C3100 current: Stock/Tetsu 18h
Socket BT CF Card
Linksys WCF-12 802.11b/Cheapie USB Ethernet

The Grinder

TRIsoft

• View Profile
    • http://www.trisoft.de
Newbie 1000 Questions
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2005, 05:47:50 pm »
...If you are in Europe, I highly recommend Trisoft as you have 1 year waranty, a decent price, the right power adapter, english converted unit, many preinstalled applications, a contact on this forum, serious guys who love the Z and willing to help you out.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91022\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Scheck.r,

thanks for the recommendation but:
Warranty in Europe is 24 months (for the EU region).
We really need to translate the warranty information
page on our website  

///TRIsoft

Marc Stephan

apink

• View Profile
Newbie 1000 Questions
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2005, 08:59:24 pm »
Thanks scheck.r for the info and the link.  Meanie's site is great.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 09:00:14 pm by apink »
--current use--

--past handhelds--
pandora
ben nanonote
zaurus sl-c1000