Author Topic: Wince 3.0 For Zaurus Cxxx/cxxxx Pdas?  (Read 3175 times)

Neverwinter

• View Profile
Wince 3.0 For Zaurus Cxxx/cxxxx Pdas?
« on: August 04, 2005, 01:32:35 am »
Didn't MS release the source code for Win CE 3.0 or something point something?  If so, would it be possible to use it on the Zaurus??  I haven't been here in many months, only  because I sold my c860...but this idea came to my mind and I just had to ask.

Tom61

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 05:35:38 pm »
Didn't MS release the source code for Win CE 3.0 or something point something?  If so, would it be possible to use it on the Zaurus??  I haven't been here in many months, only  because I sold my c860...but this idea came to my mind and I just had to ask.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90689\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

They only shared the full source code if you paid several thousand dollars to become a M$ PDA or other embedded device developer, and you agreed to sign an NDA. They included a good chunk of the code with the "Platform Builder SDK", which is available for a few hundred dollars, but not all. You can't redistribute the code (except to MS, which is required under 3.0's license), and you'd have obtain a further license to distribute the binaries.

Neverwinter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 05:01:17 pm »
That's just sucks.  Isn't the code easily downloadable though?

BarryW

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 05:12:42 pm »
Uhh, no.
What's this button do??

C3100
Distro changes almost weekly...

C3200
Distro also changes almost weekly...  :)

Hardware hacks and stuff.

Tom61

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 06:24:12 pm »
You can download the 30-day trial of platform builder for CE.net (I don't think you can get older versions anymore) free. That should be enough to port Windows CE.net to the Z, but you aren't allowed to distribute the binaries.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2005, 06:25:02 pm by Tom61 »

ninjafoo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 11:37:21 am »
What about getting an existing ROM (say one from a compaq ipaq) and running it on the zaurus with a virtual machine?

Tom61

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 04:27:20 pm »
What about getting an existing ROM (say one from a compaq ipaq) and running it on the zaurus with a virtual machine?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91236\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

You'd have to have a nearly full-fledged emulator, as there isn't an ipaq or other Windows CE device identical (except for maybe that one that looks like a Z, but that may be different inside) to the Zaurus, and that'd be fairly slow.