Author Topic: Yet Another Bluetoothed Simpad  (Read 15680 times)

Martin

• View Profile
Yet Another Bluetoothed Simpad
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2006, 03:23:11 pm »
Hi Nev,

nice to see your mods ... possible to get more infos on which bluetoth and mmc/sd card module you use?

I will try to make a bt and mmc/sd mod for my SimPad SL4 because I missing some additional FlashROM and a bt module!

What about use a dual wlan / bt module licke a cheap MSI one? MSI Computer WLAN BT USB dongle found on eBay!

Thanks
Martin
--------------------------------------------------------
sl-c860 /w pdaXrom 1.1.0 Kathrin r121
CF 1GB , SD 2GB + 1GB + 512MB , MMC 512MB
Netgear MA701 WLAN 801b
Asus WL-HDD2.5 (very nice thing) /w 60 GB
PC/Notebook SuSE 10.1 Prof. / KDE3.5.4
VDR /w KnoppMyth R5C7 (/w Myth 0.19)
--------------------------------------(August 2006)---

Tom61

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2006, 09:14:55 pm »
Hi Nev,

nice to see your mods ... possible to get more infos on which bluetoth and mmc/sd card module you use?

I will try to make a bt and mmc/sd mod for my SimPad SL4 because I missing some additional FlashROM and a bt module!

What about use a dual wlan / bt module licke a cheap MSI one? MSI Computer WLAN BT USB dongle found on eBay!

Thanks
Martin
[div align=\"right\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

802.11x is not as simple to hook up, you'd have get a USB host CF card, or wire in a USB host chip(good luck with that). The bluetooth chip in the USB dongle used here is actually compatable with RS-232, which is availible inside the Simpad. It's not connected via USB, it's just a cheap way to get the chip.

I believe there is a thread with more info on what USB dongles have RS232 serial compatable chips inside, try [a href=\"https://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=15516]this one.[/url]

Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2006, 12:10:05 pm »
Thanks Tom61,

yes I know about it and connection on rs232 port inside simpad ... yes but all usb host adapters I know are only 1.1 and very expensive for that project!

Hi Niv,

I saw this photo and recognized a sd/mmc slot inside ... which sort auf adapter / socket do you use? I saw a little board at the mmc/sd slot.

is it possible to switch the bt module on / off per software (using an unused bit of the port)? What about using a hardware switch?

Thanks
Martin
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 12:13:26 pm by Martin »
sl-c860 /w pdaXrom 1.1.0 Kathrin r121
CF 1GB , SD 2GB + 1GB + 512MB , MMC 512MB
Netgear MA701 WLAN 801b
Asus WL-HDD2.5 (very nice thing) /w 60 GB
PC/Notebook SuSE 10.1 Prof. / KDE3.5.4
VDR /w KnoppMyth R5C7 (/w Myth 0.19)
--------------------------------------(August 2006)---

niv

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2006, 04:14:26 pm »
I saw this photo and recognized a sd/mmc slot inside ... which sort auf adapter / socket do you use? I saw a little board at the mmc/sd slot.

I used this reader: Bonzai you need to I removed the one chip it has and the usb metal connector. then used the on-board 5V->3.3 converter
I also noticed that some readers had a lengthier board (usb connector to the card socket , wise). this one has one that fits fine.

is it possible to switch the bt module on / off per software (using an unused bit of the port)? What about using a hardware switch?

no. using the adapter ,albertr suggested, one may only reset the unit. but one may hold the reset line , thus effectively turning  the unit off.
I have yet to see any of this work as there is no current open embedded version , that can fit the simpad. why? because OE migrated to 2.6. there is currently no driver for the simpad screen driver that works under 2.6. and so , I am unable to add the code provided in the site and test bluetooth , or/and mmc.

koen

• View Profile
    • http://dominion.thruhere.net/koen/cms/
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2006, 04:56:02 pm »
I have yet to see any of this work as there is no current open embedded version , that can fit the simpad. why? because OE migrated to 2.6. there is currently no driver for the simpad screen driver that works under 2.6. and so , I am unable to add the code provided in the site and test bluetooth , or/and mmc.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149596\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

??????

OE didn't 'migrate to 2.6' and certainly not for simpad.

it even has a big fat MACHINE_KERNEL_VERSION ?= "2.4" line in the machine description
Forums are not bugtrackers!!! Smart questions
Ångström release team
iPAQ h2210, iPAQ h5550, iPAQ hx4700, Zaurus SL-C700, Nokia 770, all running some form of GPE
My blog

niv

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2006, 05:34:55 pm »
thanks koen for this quickly
The info I gave was according to the advice I got at the #OE irc channel. btw, they also claimed this forum is not up to date..

pls tell me then what to put in local.conf to build a proper simpad image.

1) which of these lines to comment?
PREFERRED_PROVIDERS = "virtual/qte:qte virtual/libqpe:libqpe-opie"
PREFERRED_PROVIDERS += " virtual/libsdl:libsdl-x11"
PREFERRED_PROVIDERS += " virtual/${TARGET_PREFIX}gcc-initial:gcc-cross-initial"
PREFERRED_PROVIDERS += " virtual/${TARGET_PREFIX}gcc:gcc-cross"
PREFERRED_PROVIDERS += " virtual/${TARGET_PREFIX}g++:gcc-cross"

2) should TARGET_MACHINE = be simpad?

assuming its not defined:
3) TARGET_ARCH="arm" and DISTRO = "generic" right?

(to all other ppl that may get here and read my post, please look in oe getting started to understand what I am seeking)
Niv

mr_nice

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2007, 11:21:32 pm »
My knowlege of the openembedded.org tree is a bit to old to answer your question correctly.

But you can follow this description to get a Familiar SIMpad Image (Nodedog has written it):

http://opensimpad.org/index.php/HowTo_Make_your_own_image

AFAIK the Familiar distribution has forked from the openembedded.org tree.

And AFAIK Frederik is working on the Familiar Distribution. Frederik is doing a lot for SIMpad users there.

regards
nice

niv

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2007, 07:09:53 pm »
found the usb dongle albertr suggested on the web :
23$

fredyd

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2007, 05:36:37 pm »
The SIMpad kernel in Familiar should have bluetooth and MMC support, although I never could test it, since I don't have a modded SIMpad.

The Familiar installation guide for SIMpad is available at:
http://opensimpad.org/index.php/Linux
and
http://handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/SimPad

Please pick images at:
http://familiar.handhelds.org/releases/v0....ll/files/simpad
(use gpe-image-v0.8.4-simpad-rootfs.jffs2)

(if you select "download" from the familiar homepage, you won't be able to ge these, use the above direct link instead)

I hope you'll manage to get the whole thing working!

cheers,
Fred