Author Topic: How To Do Multi-rom Boot Via Sdcard  (Read 1280 times)

sibble-comp-oesf

• View Profile
How To Do Multi-rom Boot Via Sdcard
« on: August 10, 2005, 02:18:04 pm »
Okay, currently running OZ3.5.3 on and SL-5500 via the root pivot scripts off an 1gb sd card. I am booting off an 512mb image file on the sdcard.

After seeing the glowing reviews of the hentges rom, I'd like to try it out without losing my current setup.

I understand how to create a new image file for the new rom, however my main concern is, once I flash the onboard memory on the Z, isn't that going to remove the root pivot bootloader which allows me to boot off the sdcard? Also since the "real root" would now also be different, won't that also cause problems?

Is there a better way of accomplishing this that allows me to keep my current setup working and allows me to boot a different rom?

Related to this, it would also be nice to boot a sharp rom as the 3rd "os". Is this also possible?

I do have a second Z, but only 1 sd card currently.

CoreDump

• View Profile
    • http://www.hentges.net
How To Do Multi-rom Boot Via Sdcard
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 12:27:38 pm »
Okay, currently running OZ3.5.3 on and SL-5500 via the root pivot scripts off an 1gb sd card. I am booting off an 512mb image file on the sdcard.

After seeing the glowing reviews of the hentges rom, I'd like to try it out without losing my current setup.

I understand how to create a new image file for the new rom, however my main concern is, once I flash the onboard memory on the Z, isn't that going to remove the root pivot bootloader which allows me to boot off the sdcard?

The original rboot scripts would be toast. However, Hentges ships with "altboot" which can boot images just fine.

Also since the "real root" would now also be different, won't that also cause problems?

Nope, after pivot_root'ing into your image, the original rootf is no longer needed.
In fact, you can umount it  

Is there a better way of accomplishing this that allows me to keep my current setup working and allows me to boot a different rom?

Related to this, it would also be nice to boot a sharp rom as the 3rd "os". Is this also possible?

Nope, Sharp ROM's require a different kernel than OZ. You can't boot a Sharp ROM with an OZ kernel and vice versa.
Webmaster of hentges.net & Embedded Linux Developer.