Author Topic: Want To Trade Zaurus For My Treo 650 Gsm  (Read 11191 times)

iamasmith

• View Profile
Want To Trade Zaurus For My Treo 650 Gsm
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 02:29:29 pm »
Well put Mjolinor, and good for you.
I would have wailed if I had been ripped off when buying my C1000 off eBay (single income family and all), but I would have come to grips with it eventually. My sympathy to all those that have been rippped off by this person.
[div align=\"right\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

A little off topic here Antikx, I happened to catch your link tyrannozaurus.com, nice little site.. a couple of things..

i. Thanks for the mention on the OpenBSD stuff... but the name is 'iamasmith' like... I AM Andy Smith

ii. The other thing... (sorry folks who have already seen this) is you GOTTA have a link to this somehow... [a href=\"http://bedoper.com/reptilian/archive9.htm]http://bedoper.com/reptilian/archive9.htm[/url] - this is the original Zaurus advert

Keep it up!,

- Andy
OpenBSD 4.2 -current on full 4Gb of SL-C3000
Microdrive replaced with 4Gb SanDisk Extreme III card

DrWowe

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2006, 02:34:10 pm »
I've never gotten burned on an internet transaction.  I think this is because I try to follow some common sense ideas:

1)  I'm not running a charity for "maybe hard luck but probably not" scammers.  If anything in my due diligence raises red flags, then I don't do business.  Period.

2)  Buying things on eBay from sellers with good reputations (>99%) is usually pretty safe.  Although watch out for hijacked accounts, which brings me to:

3)  If something is too good to be true, it usually is.  (there are exceptions...
  • )

4)  I'm more careful buying things not from eBay.  I usually ask for a phone number, and take some extra steps to confirm the identity of the seller and find out whatever information about them is easy to find.  For example, it's a good sign if somebody selling a Zaurus is active in a local Linux user's group in their hometown.  Due diligence is worth it.

5)  My willingness for risk goes up for an extremely rare or exotic item.  In most cases, if you don't buy it from one place there are other opportunuties.  There are plenty of Zauruses out there.  Occasionally there's something worth taking a chance for, but it makes me fret every day until the package arrives.

• I recently bought an accessory worth at least $100 for $1 on eBay.  The seller used a poor choice of keywords in the auction title, so nobody else discovered it.

tombraider

• View Profile
    • http://atoah.com/zaurus/
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2006, 03:50:38 pm »
Off topic,  but,  hey, I'm desperate...DrWowe...did you ever get the ipk put together for the SanDIsk ConnectPlus??  I want to give my other Zaurus to my husband to use and have a working wifi card with it.  He can use the Belkin wifi card and I'll use my SanDisk.  :-)

And, btw,   I had the misfortune of once having my EBay account hijacked by someone in Italy who tried to sell an IBM Thinkpad for a very low price and wanted the money sent to him by Western Union.  Luckily, a buyer reported to EBay about it because he was suspicious,  but since I was always buying and not selling very often,  I didn't even find out about it until I went to use my account and it had been closed by EBay.  Took a LONG time to get my account reinstated.   The guy had apparently guessed my password at the time which was a very common dog's name.

I've never gotten burned on an internet transaction.  I think this is because I try to follow some common sense ideas:

1)  I'm not running a charity for "maybe hard luck but probably not" scammers.  If anything in my due diligence raises red flags, then I don't do business.  Period.

2)  Buying things on eBay from sellers with good reputations (>99%) is usually pretty safe.  Although watch out for hijacked accounts, which brings me to:

3)  If something is too good to be true, it usually is.  (there are exceptions...
  • )

4)  I'm more careful buying things not from eBay.  I usually ask for a phone number, and take some extra steps to confirm the identity of the seller and find out whatever information about them is easy to find.  For example, it's a good sign if somebody selling a Zaurus is active in a local Linux user's group in their hometown.  Due diligence is worth it.

5)  My willingness for risk goes up for an extremely rare or exotic item.  In most cases, if you don't buy it from one place there are other opportunuties.  There are plenty of Zauruses out there.  Occasionally there's something worth taking a chance for, but it makes me fret every day until the package arrives.

• I recently bought an accessory worth at least $100 for $1 on eBay.  The seller used a poor choice of keywords in the auction title, so nobody else discovered it.
  • [div align=\"right\"]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113296\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Learning Chinese?  Have a Mac?  Try Hanzi Master: Download for free

Tombraider's Zaurus C1000 Tips Web Site

SL-3200 from Conics.net: Sharp ROM| SL-C1000: Pdaxrom Beta 3

Antikx

• View Profile
    • http://tyrannozaurus.com
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2006, 03:55:50 pm »
Well put Mjolinor, and good for you.
I would have wailed if I had been ripped off when buying my C1000 off eBay (single income family and all), but I would have come to grips with it eventually. My sympathy to all those that have been rippped off by this person.
[div align=\"right\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

A little off topic here Antikx, I happened to catch your link tyrannozaurus.com, nice little site.. a couple of things..

i. Thanks for the mention on the OpenBSD stuff... but the name is 'iamasmith' like... I AM Andy Smith

ii. The other thing... (sorry folks who have already seen this) is you GOTTA have a link to this somehow... [a href=\"http://bedoper.com/reptilian/archive9.htm]http://bedoper.com/reptilian/archive9.htm[/url] - this is the original Zaurus advert

Keep it up!,

- Andy
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113295\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Thanks.
I thought you were mama smith!  Ya, I got a little happy with the am's. All fixed now.
Good link, BTW. Something does seem a light naughty with those Dino's on their back, or is it just me.
Kanpai,
-Antikx (Twitter, Mugshot and PodNova)
C1000 - pdaXrom R198 (Celestial Environment)
tyrannozaurus.com
[img]http://www.tyrannozaurus.com/files/category_pictures/general_1.png\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-sig-image\" /]
Zaurus news/blogs feed from Zaurus users
Free Windows, Linux, or Web RSS readers.
Featured pages at tyrannozaurus:
Sharp Petition, ScummVM, Cacko, pdaXii13, and Celestial Environment

neuroshock

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2006, 01:57:02 am »
Ack,

Well the good news is that I live in NC and I'd be more than willing to go bounce this guy off the walls a few times in the name of justice and right.

The bad news is that he PROBABLY will be less than intimidated when I show up on his doorstep threatening him with my wheelchair. I MIGHT could pull it off if things improve a bit and I can graduate back up to my walker but alas this is one of those times where it really sux to be disabled.

I'll refrain from joining in the preaching myself as my view and tolerance level of this sort of stuff is known throughout the community already. However this guy needs a good measure of justice and there's no doubt about it. By the way, does anyone know where Graham even is in NC? I'm in the Eastern part of the state and have never even heard it mentioned before so I'm assuming it must be somewhere west of Raleigh.  If it turns out it's close enough I'm not above calling my best friend to drive me over there on a day trip and getting lots of nice photo's.  It would be more than interesting to find out who this guy really is, where he works, and such.

LOL...I just read what I just wrote!  I bet I'm the only wheelchair vigilante in the world.  Maybe they'll make me into a comic book hero one day. =)

Oh well, thinking about punks like these make me even more nauseated than I was before I started reading this thread- I think I'll go puke and mail him the results. Hrmmm...I wonder if that is prohibited by US postal service rules?

-NeuroShock
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']SL-6000L & C3100.[/span]

neuroshock

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2006, 03:18:05 am »
Here's a quick heads up update.  Only moments after making my previous post I received this PM from the gentleman in question:

(title)  Lay off the idle Threats!!!, Today, 07:38 AM

If you have read any of the threads on this manner, you would see that the truth is someone has made a victim of tlacour and myself. I have had some investigations going on in private to clear up this matter, so I would appreciate you not to make any threats against me or my family. I do have respect for those who are wheelchair-bound, I used to be after a nasty wreck years ago, which took years of phyical therapy to walk again. Also, my wife is a parapalegic as well.

A few things I might note-
1.) I read all the pertinent posts on this forum and the one that is referred to outside this forum earlier in this thread before making my post.  If the reported facts in each of these posts are true then you have either screwed at LEAST 4-9 different ppl in that many deals over a period of a year and a half or you have somehow managed to become "victimized" in your online dealings 4-9 times.
There's an old saying in Military Intelligence:
One time is chance, Two times is happenstance, Three times is enemy action.
In your case either your simply the most masachistic and worst trader of all time or there's a serious problem with how you do business.

2.) Well since you're being so nice about it I suppose I could change my mind and not mail you the vomit... *boggle*  Geez dude...I guess I was wrong maybe I AM much more intimidating in a wheelchair. A fairly easily spooked gentleman for sure!  *sigh* It's ok sir, I promise not to bark your shins etc. with the footrests.  

3.) You should not respect nor disrespect a person because they are in a wheelchair.  Just because they are in a wheelchair does not mean that they warrent respect.  Remember there is a real live PERSON in the wheelchair.  You should look through the wheelchair and disrespect or respect the person based solely upon their character, the wheelchair makes no difference.  I'm sure you wife feels the same way.

4.) My original post was in general meant to be vociferously humorous. However I was serious about it when I said that criminals of this kind should be brought to justice.

So if indeed you are as innocent as you claim you've nothing to fear. If not then I'm the LEAST of your worries!  It is concerning that I googled using your proper name and your avatar name and have not found a thread that purports even a single positive thing about you. I have however found no less than 5 threads with nothing to say but negative things about your trading practices. If your innocent you should REALLY get started with some damage control and put some serious effort into finding  who is "victimizing" you.  At the very least you should quit acting like someone who's guilty and start acting like you are both concerned and innocent. But having some "investigations going on in private" is definitely NOT the way to correctly prove you are innocent!

A few GOOD ideas would be to:

1. Go visit your local police station and explain your story and provide them with all documentation from any transactions involved as well as these posts and threads.  Leave your full contact information with them.

2. Contact the FBI.  You've already been reported, it would be to your benefit to rush forward and give them the same materials and story that you left with your local police station.

3.  Send the names, addresses, and detailed contact information of the police officer who took down your story and of the FBI officer that you spoke with on the phone with to each and every person that was "co-victimized" along with you.  This will not only help assist them with getting all the facts and issues straight but it will reassure the others who were "victimized" in this scandel.

The only reason that I can think of not do do any of these things is that you are indeed guilty.  So go jump in the car and clear your good name.

Whether you are innocent or guilty I most sincerely hope that you will find swift and sure justice!

Oh well....back to being humorous.  I must confess after giving it more thought.  The idea of sending you a bag of vomit does seem to be in bad taste.  

Be Well All!
-NeuroShock
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 03:26:00 am by neuroshock »
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']SL-6000L & C3100.[/span]

albertr

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2006, 08:43:01 am »
I'm recalling the story which was covered in someone's blog awhile ago, Unfortunately I don't have a link, but if I remember correctly the guy was scumming on ebay for an apple laptop. This scumbag was detected by the seller, and they sent him a fake laptop and made him pay import taxes. There was guite a community building up while the story progressed, and there was a few local guys (seller and buyer were in different countries, btw) going in person to take scumbag's pictures. They have two surveillance teams working in the field making pictures and taping the process of fake laptop delivery. Lotsa fun, if you ask me!

Now back to our sheep, this lowlife seemed to be scared just by possibility of weelchair'ed Neuroshock showing up around his place. If we can rectuit a few fellow forum members from NC willing to go surveillance, I bet he'll shit his pants.
-albertr

tlacour

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2006, 12:11:00 pm »
The funny thing is, Mr. Melrose claims that he is a victim of ID theft.  He says that he never has worked at the Blockbuster video in question.  That is the person who stole from me.  I spoke to him at this store on a couple of occasions.  He claims that someone stole his ID, got a job in his name, and has hacked into his email, paypal, bank, and at least 3 different pda forums.

I have a picture of Mr. Melrose.  If you live near Mebane NC and can go to this Blockbuster.  Ask for Scott Melrose and take his picture.

It astounds me that Mr. Melrose has been victimized so much by this hacker, yet will not drive 10mi from his house to see the guy face to face and confront him.

He had agreed in email to reimburse me but after a couple of passed deadlines and further broken promices, sill nothing and he now is again claiming he is a victim.

I am still going to the east coast in a few weeks and am definitely looking this guy up.
NeuroShock, if you live near by, and are up for a road trip, you are welcome to come along.  What the heck, why don't we get a group together and make a pilgramige to the Mebane Blockbuster.

Tony
Tony
Montgomery, TX
Current: Treo 650, Clie'TH55, Ipaq 1950, Ipaq 5550
Past:HP 95lx, Velo1, HP 360lx, Velo 500, Nino 500, Compaq 2010c, Aero 1530,  J(Jornada)420, J680, Casio EM500, J548, J568, Sharp Zaurus 5600, J720, Clio 1050c, J728, Palm m100, iPaq 3760, Treo 90, iPAQ 3800, Sony Clie NX70v, Axim X3i, iPaq 1910, iPaq 2210, Asus a730, Clie UX-50, Zodiac 2, iPaq 2795, Ipaq 2755, Palm T5, Asus A620,Samsung i600, PSP

dz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dangerz.net
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2006, 09:42:06 pm »
Ok listen.  

I've tried to stay out of this whole thing simply because I'm not one to shut out discussions, but I do not like the fact that tlacour is suggesting to go visit Cyberdoc1971.  There are proper steps to take when a crime has been committed against you and these are not them.  Suggesting that someone goes and visits him at his work is just plain wrong and we won't be having that on these forums.

You guys want to deal with this, do it without the support of these forums.  I'm all for catching scammers, but this can turn very wrong very quickly and I will not have the OESF forums a part of it.  Any further discussions about visiting him will have the thread locked and the accounts suspended.

This is your warning.  Sorry to be a dick, but that's how it is.
http://www.dangerz.net
c860 : Cacko
The greatest experience we can have is the mysterious.
- Albert Einstein

tlacour

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2006, 10:39:08 am »
Ok listen. 

I've tried to stay out of this whole thing simply because I'm not one to shut out discussions, but I do not like the fact that tlacour is suggesting to go visit Cyberdoc1971.  There are proper steps to take when a crime has been committed against you and these are not them.  Suggesting that someone goes and visits him at his work is just plain wrong and we won't be having that on these forums.

You guys want to deal with this, do it without the support of these forums.  I'm all for catching scammers, but this can turn very wrong very quickly and I will not have the OESF forums a part of it.  Any further discussions about visiting him will have the thread locked and the accounts suspended.

This is your warning.  Sorry to be a dick, but that's how it is.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115379\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

You are right.  I often let my personal enthusiasm override my better judgment.

I was joking when I suggested that people go to his work.  I thought that was obvious, but looking back at the thread, I can see where it can misconstrued.

I DO NOT suggest that anyone approach or try to contact Mr. Melrose.  It is clear to me that he is a person of poor personal ethics and lacks moral character.  Someone like that is capable of anything.

I am handling this through appropriate channels and he will or will not get his just rewards by the hands of the criminal justice system.

My real intent in posting this ongoing saga here and on other forums that I am aware he has stalked, is to get it out in the open so that the users here can protect themselves from him and other predators like him.

Tony
Tony
Montgomery, TX
Current: Treo 650, Clie'TH55, Ipaq 1950, Ipaq 5550
Past:HP 95lx, Velo1, HP 360lx, Velo 500, Nino 500, Compaq 2010c, Aero 1530,  J(Jornada)420, J680, Casio EM500, J548, J568, Sharp Zaurus 5600, J720, Clio 1050c, J728, Palm m100, iPaq 3760, Treo 90, iPAQ 3800, Sony Clie NX70v, Axim X3i, iPaq 1910, iPaq 2210, Asus a730, Clie UX-50, Zodiac 2, iPaq 2795, Ipaq 2755, Palm T5, Asus A620,Samsung i600, PSP

Cresho

• View Profile
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~cresho/
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2006, 03:05:40 pm »
That is correct.  I also was thinking about the legal issues last night after reading this post.  

One of my former room mates was walking towards his vehicle and noticed that someone was trying to steel his volkswagon.  He approached the guy and punched him and beat him up very good, called the cops, and my friend got arrested and the thief was let go.  The proper thing to do here is let the thief take your car and report everything to the police officers.  The thief managed to sue him for over 20000 dollars. in medical costs.

One of my other friend's girlfriend was being harrassed by a security officer and right infront of him too.  My friend did not tolerate that very well and his girlfriend felt sexually harrassed.  My friend punche the guy in the head.  My friend was taken into custody or something.  through the course of 2 months, the guy was complaining of massive headaches and died.  My friend almost got arrested for manslaughter but the family opted to sue him and take his money.  My friend's girfriend dumped him (not because of the incidence) and now he owes childsupport for the other guys family member till the kid is 18.  The correct response here was for the girl to report sexual harrassment and use the boyfriend as a eye witness.

you see, same applies here and you need to do the right things.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 03:10:00 pm by Cresho »
Zaurus C-3200 (internal 8gb seagate drive) with buuf icon theme, cacko 1.23 full,  and also Meanie's pdaxqtrom-Debian/Open Office
Zaurus SL-5500 Sharp Rom 3.13 with steel theme
pretec pocket pc wi fi
ambicom bt2000-cf bluetooth-made in taiwan
simpletech 1gb cf
pny 1gb sd
patriot 2gb
ocz or patriot 4gb sd(failed after 2 weeks)only on z
creative csw-5300 speakers in stereo
DigiLife DDV-1000 for video, Audio, Picture recording playable on the zaurus
Mustek DV4500-video recorder, pictures, voice record on sd for z

zaurusthemes.biz | ZaurusVideo | Zaurus Software

brashley46

• View Profile
    • http://brashley46.no-ip.info
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2006, 03:32:22 pm »
Actually the correct response in the security-guard incident would have been to call the police Right Then. In front of the guy. Dial 911 on the cell 'phone, that's why I carry one.

Or if he didn't have one he should have stated his intentions Very Loudly Indeed, interposed himself bodily between the girl and the snothead, and stayed there while she ran for a 'phone. No punches, just get in the way and stay there.

That is correct.  I also was thinking about the legal issues last night after reading this post. 

One of my former room mates was walking towards his vehicle and noticed that someone was trying to steel his volkswagon.  He approached the guy and punched him and beat him up very good, called the cops, and my friend got arrested and the thief was let go.  The proper thing to do here is let the thief take your car and report everything to the police officers.  The thief managed to sue him for over 20000 dollars. in medical costs.

One of my other friend's girlfriend was being harrassed by a security officer and right infront of him too.  My friend did not tolerate that very well and his girlfriend felt sexually harrassed.  My friend punche the guy in the head.  My friend was taken into custody or something.  through the course of 2 months, the guy was complaining of massive headaches and died.  My friend almost got arrested for manslaughter but the family opted to sue him and take his money.  My friend's girfriend dumped him (not because of the incidence) and now he owes childsupport for the other guys family member till the kid is 18.  The correct response here was for the girl to report sexual harrassment and use the boyfriend as a eye witness.

you see, same applies here and you need to do the right things.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115473\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
B. Ross Ashley
http://brashley46.livejournal.com
http://brashley46.no-ip.info
Home desktops: Hewlett-Packard Kayak XM600 running Xandros Desktop Home Edition Premium (4.1), on a P3 Coppermine processor w/ 20G harddrive, 256 MB RAM; Abyss X2 server running on a local shop-built special with Intel Celeron 1.8GHz processor, 40G harddrive running Win XP Home SP2; and my wife's eMac running OS X3.9

Handheld: C860 running CACkO 1.23, with a Panasonic Class 2 1G SD card and a GXT 1G CF card; AmbiCom WL1100C-CF wifi card, and a CE-AG06 camera card.

Cresho

• View Profile
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~cresho/
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2006, 01:14:43 am »
It's funny!  I never seen a police officer arresting a security guard.
Zaurus C-3200 (internal 8gb seagate drive) with buuf icon theme, cacko 1.23 full,  and also Meanie's pdaxqtrom-Debian/Open Office
Zaurus SL-5500 Sharp Rom 3.13 with steel theme
pretec pocket pc wi fi
ambicom bt2000-cf bluetooth-made in taiwan
simpletech 1gb cf
pny 1gb sd
patriot 2gb
ocz or patriot 4gb sd(failed after 2 weeks)only on z
creative csw-5300 speakers in stereo
DigiLife DDV-1000 for video, Audio, Picture recording playable on the zaurus
Mustek DV4500-video recorder, pictures, voice record on sd for z

zaurusthemes.biz | ZaurusVideo | Zaurus Software

Antikx

• View Profile
    • http://tyrannozaurus.com
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2006, 01:17:02 am »
*insert Cresho's stories here*
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115473\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Man those are some appropriate but rough stories. Sorry to hear they happened to people you knew.
Kanpai,
-Antikx (Twitter, Mugshot and PodNova)
C1000 - pdaXrom R198 (Celestial Environment)
tyrannozaurus.com
[img]http://www.tyrannozaurus.com/files/category_pictures/general_1.png\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-sig-image\" /]
Zaurus news/blogs feed from Zaurus users
Free Windows, Linux, or Web RSS readers.
Featured pages at tyrannozaurus:
Sharp Petition, ScummVM, Cacko, pdaXii13, and Celestial Environment

bluedevils

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2006, 09:23:33 am »
An example of an appropriate solution was after playing a hockey game in vancouver.  My friends and I were hanging out in the parking lot (talking).  Some of us started to notice a guy on the opposite end of the lot looking into our car windows.  We called the police and they questioned him.  They were going to impress upon him not to do anything stupid, but eventually took him in because of the drugs they found on him.  He was apparently waiting to do a drug sale at the same time.

The point is that 12 hockey players could have easily scared that guy off, but the police were able to handle it better.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 12:32:09 pm by bluedevils »
I'm now an iphone user and use my zaurii as serial terminals, perl and shell scripting and when I need 640x480 screens

sl-c3100/pda cacko 1.23 | sl-6000l/needs battery | sl-c760/server pdaxrom rc12 | Former sl-5500/tkcrom owner (sister's birthday gift)