Author Topic: Flash Card Program For Testing Vocabulary?  (Read 128989 times)

Frederic Bergeron

• View Profile
    • http://
Flash Card Program For Testing Vocabulary?
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2007, 10:44:31 pm »
Also I had problems with Genki_13/15/17/19/21.  I don't know why at the moment but I will check it out this afternoon.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=160042\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I think I know why.  The files are in UTF-8 with Signature (there is some sort of data/symbol at the beginning of the file).  toMOTko does not like that.  It can take UTF-8 *without* Signature.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=160043\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

You're right.  Using hexer, I could remove the header and it works.  Thanks.  I will put the glossary files on the website shortly.  Time for lunch...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 11:08:27 pm by Frederic Bergeron »
toMOTko Flashcard Project
SL-C1000 Sharp ROM

Frederic Bergeron

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2007, 02:12:28 am »
It's done.  Your glossaries are available on toMOTko's website.  Merci beaucoup!  
SL-C1000 Sharp ROM

kurochka

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2007, 01:55:48 pm »
It's done.  Your glossaries are available on toMOTko's website.  Merci beaucoup! 
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=160048\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
De rien.

I've been thinking.  There is something not right with the menu names "import" and "export".  Usually, they imply some sort of conversion from one format (external to the program) to another (the format used by the program itself).  At least that's my understanding.  I think better terms in this case would be "open" and "save."

This is too show that your program works, and I am just nitpicking.
SL-C3100 (from PriceJapan.com): modified Sharp Rom (couldn't make Japanese input work in Cacko Rom)

ex-SL-C3000; ex-SL-5600; ex-Simpad

Frederic Bergeron

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2007, 08:47:15 pm »
It's done.  Your glossaries are available on toMOTko's website.  Merci beaucoup! 
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=160048\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
I've been thinking.  There is something not right with the menu names "import" and "export".  Usually, they imply some sort of conversion from one format (external to the program) to another (the format used by the program itself).  At least that's my understanding.  I think better terms in this case would be "open" and "save."

This is too show that your program works, and I am just nitpicking.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=160133\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I fear I disagree with you.  It definitively looks like an import/export to me.  Why do I think so?  

What you do when you import a file is that you make it available to toMOTko.  After doing the import, the glossary belongs to toMOTko and you're free to update it and use it as you want, with no impacts on the imported file (because it's no more used.  You can even delete it because its data has been imported/copied to $HOME/.toMOTko).  If it was open/save feature, you would need to keep the files in Documents/applications/xml to reopen them later.  

Talking of conversion, there is some but it's so minor at the moment that it may not be perceived as a conversion.  By that, I mean that the glossary id will change after an import.  If you export a previously imported glossary, you will see the change in the XML.  That being said, I don't think that import/export has any relation with conversion.  Sometimes, these 2 concepts come together but not necessarily all the time.  It's just two different concepts.  For example, if I export tea into another country, I don't think the tea will be altered/converted when it arrives in the other country.

The same idea applies for bookmarks in Firefox browser for example.  Let's say you have 2 computers and that you want to share your bookmarks.  What you will do is to export your bookmarks into a temporary file that you will import into the other computer.
SL-C1000 Sharp ROM

kurochka

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2007, 11:29:16 am »
I fear I disagree with you.  It definitively looks like an import/export to me.  Why do I think so? 

What you do when you import a file is that you make it available to toMOTko.  After doing the import, the glossary belongs to toMOTko and you're free to update it and use it as you want, with no impacts on the imported file (because it's no more used.  You can even delete it because its data has been imported/copied to $HOME/.toMOTko).  If it was open/save feature, you would need to keep the files in Documents/applications/xml to reopen them later. 

Talking of conversion, there is some but it's so minor at the moment that it may not be perceived as a conversion.  By that, I mean that the glossary id will change after an import.  If you export a previously imported glossary, you will see the change in the XML.  That being said, I don't think that import/export has any relation with conversion.  Sometimes, these 2 concepts come together but not necessarily all the time.  It's just two different concepts.  For example, if I export tea into another country, I don't think the tea will be altered/converted when it arrives in the other country.

The same idea applies for bookmarks in Firefox browser for example.  Let's say you have 2 computers and that you want to share your bookmarks.  What you will do is to export your bookmarks into a temporary file that you will import into the other computer.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=160158\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

This is great!    Discussing semantics is fun.  I get your point and agree.  The winning argument is your example about exporting tea. ;-)
SL-C3100 (from PriceJapan.com): modified Sharp Rom (couldn't make Japanese input work in Cacko Rom)

kurochka

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2007, 05:39:06 am »
I've have another study list to share.  This one was taken from Watakan lists.
It provides 261 phrases.

Download here.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 05:41:20 am by kurochka »

Frederic Bergeron

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2007, 11:42:30 am »
Thanks again Kurochka.  I've added the file to toMOTko's homepage.
SL-C1000 Sharp ROM

kurochka

• View Profile
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 03:52:45 pm by kurochka »

kurochka

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2007, 02:39:21 pm »
Frederic, there is a problem with the converter.  It deletes letters with diacritics (éêà, etc.)

For example, try converting the following study list:

Code: [Select]
aceptar/accepter/accept
permitir|dejar/permettre/allow
preguntar/demander/ask
creer/croire/believe
prestar/prêter/borrow
romper/casser/break
traer/apporter|emmener/bring
comprar/acheter/buy
poder/pouvoir/can|be able
cancelar/annuler/cancel
cambiar/changer/change
limpiar/laver/clean
peinar/peigner/comb
quejarse/se plaindre/complain
toser/tousser/cough
contar/compter/count
cortar/couper/cut
bailar/danser/dance
dibujar/dessiner/draw
beber/boire/drink
conducir/conduire/drive
comer/manger/eat
explicar/expliquer/explain
caerse/tomber/fall
llenar/remplir/fill
encontrar/trouver/find
terminar/terminer/finish
caber/contenir/fit
reparar/réparer/fix
volar/voler/fly
olvidar/oublier/forget
dar/donner/give
ir/aller/go
tener/avoir/have
oir/écouter/hear
herir/hurt/dañar/faire du mal|blesser
saber|conocer/savoir|connaître/know
aprender/apprendre/learn
salir|marcharse/sortir|partir/leave
escuchar/écouter/listen
vivir/vivre/live
mirar/regarder/look
perder/perdre/lose
hacer/faire/make|do
necesitar/avoir besoin/need
abrir/ouvrir/open
cerrar/fermer/close|shut
organizar/organiser/organize
pagar/payer/pay
jugar/jouer/play
poner/poser/put
llover/pleuvoir/rain
leer/lire/read
responder/répondre/reply
correr/courrir/run
decir/dire/say
ver/voir/see
vender/vendre/sell
enviar/envoyer/send
firmar/signer/sign
cantar/chanter/sing
sentarse/s´assoir/sit
dormir/dormir/sleep
fumar/fumer/smoke
hablar/parler/speak
deletrear/épeler/spell
gastar/dépenser/spend
ponerse de pie/se mettre debout/stand
comenzar/commencer/start|begin
estudiar/étudier/study
tener exito/avoir du succès/succeed
nadar/nager/swim
tomar/prendre/take
hablar/parler/talk
enseñar/enseigner/teach
decir/dire/tell
pensar/penser/think
traducir/traduire/translate
viajar/voyager/travel
intentar/essayer/try
apagar/éteindre/turn off
encender/allumer/turn on
escribir a máquina/écrire à la machine/type
entender/comprendre/understand
utilizar|usar/utiliser/use
esperar/attendre/wait
despertar/se réveiller/wake up
querer|desear/vouloir|désirer/want
mirar/regarder/watch
trabajar/travailler/work
preocuparse/s´inquieter/worry
escribir/écrire/write

kitkatneko

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2007, 03:56:43 pm »
good stuff those prebuilt flash cards.
I'll give Tomoko a try ( i mean the software...)

Frederic Bergeron

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2007, 09:16:53 pm »
Frederic, there is a problem with the converter.  It deletes letters with diacritics (éêà, etc.)

Thanks for reporting this problem.  

Actually, the converter works fine.  When I give it your data, the accents were still there after conversion.  However, after importing the converted file into toMOTko, all the accents are displayed as square boxes .  This problem occurs because the font used by toMOTko doesn't support all unicode characters.

You're going ahead of me and using toMOTko in an unexpected way.  toMOTko doesn't officially support other languages yet.  I understand you can't wait and want to use it to learn other languages though.  It's fine.  I will add an option to change the font in the next release.  I hope you can wait until there.  Sorry for this inconvenience.
SL-C1000 Sharp ROM

Frederic Bergeron

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2007, 02:55:02 am »
Some more good sources for vocabulary lists for toMOTko:

http://www.thbz.org/kanjimots/jlpt.php3

http://www.thbz.org/kanjimots/index.php3

http://www.learnwords.com/database.html
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161551\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I've converted the JLPT word lists and put them on the website.  They contain a few minor errors that I will have to fix later.  Thanks a lot for these links.
SL-C1000 Sharp ROM

koan

• View Profile
    • http://www.lyndonhill.com
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2007, 04:28:19 am »
Hi, I'm still using toMOTko 0.3.0 but just downloaded the latest version. Good work!

I haven't tried it yet but the two features that I'm looking for are 1. keyboard shortcut for adding a new word to glossary and 2. pretty high res icon.

I'm going through JLPT4 and entering words as I go. Will make my glossary available when it's done.
Zocalo Feed Reader : Thai on Zaurus : Dictionaries for zbedic : Sharp ROM package feed
HELUX Handheld Embedded Linux Blog
SL-C3200 Multiboot : SL-C750  Sharp ROM

Frederic Bergeron

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2007, 07:21:04 am »
Hi, I'm still using toMOTko 0.3.0 but just downloaded the latest version. Good work!

Thanks for your encouragement.

I haven't tried it yet but the two features that I'm looking for are 1. keyboard shortcut for adding a new word to glossary and 2. pretty high res icon.

About the high res icon, do you mean the toMOTko application icon?  The one with the well-endowed lady?  If that's the case, this is done already, and will be available on the next release.

About the shortcut to add a new word to glossary, this is a little bit tricky.  

In the first releases of toMOTko, there was only one glossary so I had a button to add a new word into the glossary directly on the Quiz page.  However, now that the Glossary Manager supports more than just one glossary, I removed the "Add word" button from the Quiz page because I would need to ask the user into which glossary that he wants to put the new word.  To do this, I would need to implement a dialog window containing a tree (glossary structure) so the user can specify the desired glossary.  In my opinion, this would make the application unnecessarily larger.  Also it's not really shorter than going to the Glossary Manager, choose a glossary and add a new word into it.  In short, it's not really worth it.  

That being said, it would be nice if a user could use toMOTko without using the mouse (or the pen), so I intend to implement a shortcut key to invoke the Glossary Manager and another to add a word into the selected glossary, and many others actually for most of the functionalities.  As I mentioned in a previous message, it's on the todo-list but it's not my priority for now.

I'm going through JLPT4 and entering words as I go. Will make my glossary available when it's done.

Thanks.  I'm looking forward to see your work.
SL-C1000 Sharp ROM

kitkatneko

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2007, 03:51:50 pm »
I just tried toMOTko 0.4 and the edit on the fly button is nice.

maybe I have missed something but it would be nice to have font size change button. As if you use only 1-2 kanji words it is fine, but it you use sentences or longer words it makes it harder to read, especially in portrait mode.