Author Topic: Nevermind - Thanks  (Read 3100 times)

neuroshock

• View Profile
    • http://
Nevermind - Thanks
« on: December 17, 2005, 09:03:17 am »
I posted this thread in the wrong forum. My apologies. Dislexia is a pain and I make this mistake fairly often because of the similarity between the titles CX00 and C3X00.

To view the completed thread and associated project please follow the thread below to it's location in the CXX00 Hardware forum.

https://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?act=S...t=0#entry107409

Thanks Everyone!

-NeuroShock
« Last Edit: December 25, 2005, 09:40:35 pm by neuroshock »
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']SL-6000L & C3100.[/span]

ThC

• View Profile
Nevermind - Thanks
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 09:11:48 am »
not having HDD errors during boot time is just a matter of rewriting the rc.rofilesys so it correspond to your HD partition scheme. I don't own a c3100 so I can't tell what it's rc.rofilesys looks like but if you send me the file maybe I can figure out something that would fit ... (the file is in /etc/rc.d/rc.rofilesys) just send it to me via PM or post it here maybe someone will be faster than me

Edit : One "Quick and dirty" solution would be making your partitions like
hda1 : 1Mb ext2
hda2 : 2Gb ext2
hda3 : 3Gb w95 fat32
hda4 : 512Mb SWAP
as if it's tha same thing as for c3000, the only "check" performed is the partitions types, not their size and cacko will install apps in /hdd2/ by default. only thing you'll have to do then will be editing your fstab to mount your swap drive at boot time.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 09:40:06 am by ThC »
SL-C3000 - pdaXrom 1.1.0Beta1
SL-C860 - pdaXrom 1.1.0 RC8 (charging circuitry dead :( )
CF RamStar 512 Mb / Hitachi 4Gb microdrive (thanks to creative's muvo² :p)
SD Sandisk 1Gb / Viking 256 Mb
Linksys WCF13 CF wifi card

Anyone willing to donate for my work, please consider donate to pdaXrom and/or OE/OZ projects instead, I wouldn't have been able to do anything without them ...

DrWowe

• View Profile
Nevermind - Thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 09:20:19 am »
I don't have a C3100 so I can't help with the details.  But I do have a suggestion.
On my 6000 I have a 1gb SD card.  It's formatted FAT32, for compatibility, but then I created a 512mb file and formatted it ext3.  It's mounted via loopback at /usr/local.
It could help with your "not enough partitions" problem, since you can mount up to 8 loopback devices.

Also, why do insist on a swap partition?  I've always found swap files work very well.  The trick is to create the files right after formatting the partition, that way you don't get any fragmentation.  (once the files are created, they don't move or fragment later)

neuroshock

• View Profile
Nevermind - Thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 01:08:09 pm »
ARrrggh!,

First of all for about the 400th time it seems I posted a C3100 issue in the wrong forum (the Cx00/CXX00 thing REAAALLY trips us dislexic folk  up when clicking on a forum).  So my apologies. Since it's here I'll try to make some good use out of it.

First Poster,

The C3100 actually mounts the internal drive partitions by script and if you use any other method the boot process actually comes to a violent halt if they aren't setup correctly.  I don't understand how to correctly do that yet, (part of what the bounty is for).  If you can mimick the exact partitioning settings of the first two partitions you can actually press Cntrl-c when it halts to get it to finish booting.  However the third partition (which is 90+ % of the storage that the microdrive provides) is not available and cannot be manually mounted- so at least you can boot far enough along to edit files and such- I just have no idea what changes need to be made nor where to make them.  Even if I were to get that far I still could not have my Swap/FAT32/EXT3 drive because I cannot get it to boot at all if I make any variation to the size/structure of partitions 1 and 2.  This only leaves me with 2 partitions left to play with and three partition types.  It would all be SUCH a piece of cake if I could simply change the size and type of the first two "unused" partitions - but then I wouldn't be waving cash around trying to attract help in a fairly quick manner. =( =( =(   However I do thank you VERY much for trying to be helpful- right now the attitude boost that gives me is precious indeed!

Doc,
You're right. I CAN achieve what I wish using looback devices.  In many ways it is quite the elegant solution.  For performance and stability reasons though I'd rather not add in the extra layer of translation software.  One of the reasons for installing a new drive that is 150% larger than the stock one is to avoid this very issue and be able to mount/install things in their native file-structure.  However if no other solution is found I'll have to fall back onto this method as it may be the only way.
As always thanks Doc!

-NeuroShock

PS Moderator- I'm planning on reposting this thread in it's appropriate forum so if you wish to kill this one I understand completely.

neuroshock

• View Profile
Nevermind - Thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 01:11:26 pm »
ARrrggh!,

First of all for about the 400th time it seems I posted a C3100 issue in the wrong forum (the Cx00/CXX00 thing REAAALLY trips us dislexic folk  up when clicking on a forum).  So my apologies. Since it's here I'll try to make some good use out of it.

First Poster,

The C3100 actually mounts the internal drive partitions by script and if you use any other method the boot process actually comes to a violent halt if they aren't setup correctly.  I don't understand how to correctly do that yet, (part of what the bounty is for).  If you can mimick the exact partitioning settings of the first two partitions you can actually press Cntrl-c when it halts to get it to finish booting.  However the third partition (which is 90+ % of the storage that the microdrive provides) is not available and cannot be manually mounted- so at least you can boot far enough along to edit files and such- I just have no idea what changes need to be made nor where to make them.  Even if I were to get that far I still could not have my Swap/FAT32/EXT3 drive because I cannot get it to boot at all if I make any variation to the size/structure of partitions 1 and 2.  This only leaves me with 2 partitions left to play with and three partition types.  It would all be SUCH a piece of cake if I could simply change the size and type of the first two "unused" partitions - but then I wouldn't be waving cash around trying to attract help in a fairly quick manner. =( =( =(   However I do thank you VERY much for trying to be helpful- right now the attitude boost that gives me is precious indeed!

Doc,
You're right. I CAN achieve what I wish using looback devices.  In many ways it is quite the elegant solution.  For performance and stability reasons though I'd rather not add in the extra layer of translation software.  One of the reasons for installing a new drive that is 150% larger than the stock one is to avoid this very issue and be able to mount/install things in their native file-structure.  However if no other solution is found I'll have to fall back onto this method as it may be the only way.
In your case as your using it in conjunction with your SD card it's the perfect solution.  The SD interface on the Zaurii is the bottleneck in performance and it's so terrible already that running a loopback device over it has been tested recently and only adds about 1% overhead so it's not a problem with SD.  With CF it's a completely different matter- it is a much greater performance hit when used on a CF device.  I really want to avoid this if possible. (For the same reason I'm trying to have a Swap Partition rather than a swap file.)
As always thanks Doc!

-NeuroShock

PS Moderator- I'm planning on reposting this thread in it's appropriate forum so if you wish to kill this one I understand completely.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107407\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

neuroshock

• View Profile
Nevermind - Thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 09:15:12 am »
To anyone who stumbles across this thread:

I posted this thread in the wrong forum. My apologies. Disleksia is a pain and I make this mistake fairly often because of the similarity between the titles CX00 and C3X00.

To view the completed thread and associated project please follow the thread below to it's location in the CXX00 Hardware forum.

Thanks Everyone!

-NeuroShock
« Last Edit: December 25, 2005, 09:39:44 pm by neuroshock »