Author Topic: Collie With Kernel 2.6.  (Read 3401 times)

hwtechnik

• View Profile
Collie With Kernel 2.6.
« on: January 02, 2006, 01:06:16 pm »
Hi!

I´m trying to use OpenEmbedded to build a bootstrap-image with kernel 2.6 for a
Zaurus 5500 (collie).
Now to my problem: Is there a good tutorial/starting-point for this situation?
I searched the forum, googled, and generaly tried to find any pointers, but to no
avail.
Either the information is too old and doesn´t apply anymore, or it is only pointing in
the direction of other models (spitz, tosa, and the newer ones).

John Lenz page about the 2.6 kernel-development for the collie is dated June 6,2005
and it´s unclear, if any of these patches are needed, or if the problems are ironed
out in the current kernel from Pavel Machek.

Pavel Machek is looking for testers for the current 2.6-kernel, specifically for the
5500, but I have no idea how to change the Bitbake-enviroment to build a 2.6 kernel
for the collie, nor how to change it to use the latest available kernel 2.6 from Pavels
git tree.

Any information or advice is highly appreciated.

TIA
hwtechnik

P.S.: I´m trying to do this to play around with the recent kernel on my otherwise
currently useless Zaurus.

lardman

• View Profile
    • http://people.bath.ac.uk/enpsgp/Zaurus/
Collie With Kernel 2.6.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 01:46:13 pm »
First off, you'd be better asking this on IRC and the mailing list.

Then you might try emailing John Lenz or Pavel and asking them whether they have a working OE data set to build a rootfs for the collie with 2.6.

Then, as a last resort, I'd look at and compare the existing .bbs for one of the current 2.6 machines, the c7x0 is probably easiest as it's well developed, with the current 5500 .bbs.

Look in org.openembedded.dev/packages/meta as I think there are some conditional things in there, as well as in org.openembedded.dev/conf (hope that name's right, my build machine is off atm).

Even if you take the last approach you would do well to ask on IRC so that you don't spend time messing about with things which aren't necessary.

Si
C750 OZ3.5.4 (GPE, 2.6.x kernel)
SL5500 OZ3.5.4 (Opie)
Nokia 770
Serial GPS, WCF-12, Socket Ethernet & BT, Ratoc USB
WinXP, Mandriva

karrickca

• View Profile
Collie With Kernel 2.6.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 12:24:18 am »

Then you might try emailing John Lenz or Pavel and asking them whether they have a working OE data set to build a rootfs for the collie with 2.6.

Then, as a last resort, I'd look at and compare the existing .bbs for one of the current 2.6 machines, the c7x0 is probably easiest as it's well developed, with the current 5500 .bbs.

Look in org.openembedded.dev/packages/meta as I think there are some conditional things in there, as well as in org.openembedded.dev/conf (hope that name's right, my build machine is off atm).

Even if you take the last approach you would do well to ask on IRC so that you don't spend time messing about with things which aren't necessary.

Si
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109238\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Has anybody found information on this topic or is there a better source?  I've just started on a similar task.

Charles

koen

• View Profile
    • http://dominion.thruhere.net/koen/cms/
Collie With Kernel 2.6.
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 04:06:32 am »

Si
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109238\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Has anybody found information on this topic or is there a better source?  I've just started on a similar task.

Charles
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115214\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

As lardman said, ask on the mailinglist (oe@handhelds.org) or on irc (#oe on irc.freenode.net). That will get the the best answers pretty fast.
Forums are not bugtrackers!!! Smart questions
Ångström release team
iPAQ h2210, iPAQ h5550, iPAQ hx4700, Zaurus SL-C700, Nokia 770, all running some form of GPE
My blog

Hrw

• View Profile
Collie With Kernel 2.6.
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 04:24:36 am »
Currently we do not have recipe to build 2.6 kernel for collie (from Pavel Machek tree). I plan to add it in next weeks - now want to concentrate on 3.5.4 release. Ask RP on irc for help.
OpenZaurus 3.5.4x Release Manager
OpenEmbedded, Ångström, Poky developer
My website

Misc embedded hardware.