Author Topic: Nand Backup To Sd Card Problems.  (Read 2002 times)

xfaethorx

• View Profile
Nand Backup To Sd Card Problems.
« on: January 09, 2006, 05:29:00 am »
I'm having trouble getting a nand backup working

I've got a 256mb , 512mb and 1gig sd card in front of me

all formatted to FAT (16).

when I try to do a nand backup it says "can not initialize SD" , the service page under sd also fails.

However if I boot the zaurus up as normal it will recognize the card!

Any ideas coz I'm confused!

Meanie

• View Profile
    • http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 06:07:20 am »
I'm having trouble getting a nand backup working

I've got a 256mb , 512mb and 1gig sd card in front of me

all formatted to FAT (16).

when I try to do a nand backup it says "can not initialize SD" , the service page under sd also fails.

However if I boot the zaurus up as normal it will recognize the card!

Any ideas coz I'm confused!
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110106\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I think its a problem with the card geometry. It appears that the BIOS for the Diagnostic Menu is very primitive and cannot read cards that have more than 1024 cylinders and other advanced features. This means the small cheapy SD and CF card will work while the larger, more advanced (higher speed) cards won't
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~wyso/myZaurus - zBook3K

stbrock

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 10:05:17 am »
In addition to Meanie's good suggestion, another possibility you may want to explore is using a card formatted in your Zaurus rather than by the manufacturer or Windows. As I described in another post a week or so ago, that may have been the factor that allowed my bricked C860 to restore from a 1 GB Sandisk CF card but not from any of several other cards I tried. I recall seeing some posts suggesting that there were some subtle differences in FAT16 formatting on the Z and in Windows, but don't know if that is confirmed.

xfaethorx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 02:17:53 pm »
well i managed it in the end and i've also upgraded to the latest cacko release now . I'm much happier ..although theres a lot i now have to re-install

ah well!  better implementation for sure!