Author Topic: Archos Bad Quality ?  (Read 2216 times)

zone30

• View Profile
Archos Bad Quality ?
« on: February 08, 2006, 05:04:43 am »
Hello,

because I had noticed some bugs of my Archos AV 500.

1. After relighting the display shows one half in normal colours, and the other half shows wrong colours.

2. Sometimes the player shuts down while playing. (not connected with extern power)

I exchanged the item by my dealer. Now, after 2 weeks the player shows the same bugs.

What is this, a softwarebug ot Archos has a series error.
I wrote to Archos, but I got only the same message as every times, to send back the item to the vendor.
OK I can exhange the player again, but I think its not the solution.

Has anyone similary problems ?
I´m very angry about this ......

raybert

• View Profile
Archos Bad Quality ?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 01:36:45 pm »
IMO, Archos has good design ideas but terrible quality (SW & HW).

I bought an Archos Jukebox FM (HDD-based MP3 player) a few years back.  The firmware sucked, was rife with bugs, and they never released a single update (I eventually switched to the great OSS firmware called Rockbox).

The HW has also had many problems; luckily I'm handy with a soldering iron and I've been able to keep it running for quite a while.

If that weren't bad enough, their support is awful.  They've never responded to a single email I've sent them.  Plus, they do dishonest things such as this: I've heard from several Rockbox users who have sent their units back to repair a HW problem only to have Archos refuse to fix it because they claim "Rockbox broke it".  Pure, unadulterated, BS.

I'll never buy another one of their products.

~ray