Author Topic: Pdaxrom Compatibility In Cacko?  (Read 1324 times)

fryster

• View Profile
Pdaxrom Compatibility In Cacko?
« on: February 10, 2006, 02:13:21 pm »
Having recently purchased a C3100, I've flashed the cacko 1.23 ROM to get started.  I've been happy with it, but I've also been reading about  the pdaxrom distribution.  From what I've seen pdaxrom makes the Zaurus look like another Linux box.  The advantage of this, of course is the plethora of software available for Linux that can be easily ported to the Zaurus.  When it comes to day-to-day use as an organizer, I sthink QTopia with cacko works and looks much nicer. However, occasionally I would like to do something more PC-like on the Zaurus. For example: downloading Prolog, Squeak, or OCaml to program in.

Is it possible to get the best of both worlds?  Can I run Cacko and QTopia ordinarily, but be able to enter a Linux compatibility mode, replete with xterms and X-windows managers, like pdaxrom, which can then load in all available pdaxrom packages?

That to me would be the ideal distribution for a Zaurus:  it acts like a regular PDA that the casual user wants it to, but then offers a Linux mode for more programming-intensive efforts.  Is there a way to do this?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 02:13:58 pm by fryster »

bam

• View Profile
    • http://thegrinder.ws
Pdaxrom Compatibility In Cacko?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 03:00:46 pm »
one word..... Meanies X/Qt install, you can install debian pocketworkstation, with icewm/xfce/fluxbox, whatever.....
SL-C3100 current: Stock/Tetsu 18h
Socket BT CF Card
Linksys WCF-12 802.11b/Cheapie USB Ethernet

The Grinder