Author Topic: Python 2.4.3 For Sharprom  (Read 14485 times)

Mickeyl

• View Profile
    • http://www.Vanille.de
Python 2.4.3 For Sharprom
« on: April 25, 2006, 11:48:02 am »
Hi SharpROM and clones-lovers,

I've updated my python-for-arm-linux feed at PythonForSharpROM with Python 2.4.3. This time I used a very ancient Embedix SDK in order to make the packages work with the SharpROM.

I'd be interested in knowing
*) whether they work for you and
*) whether the SharpROM feed is still of any use for you.

The URL for the project page is Python-for-arm-linux - note that the package browser points to the "modern" feed, which is atm. older than the SharpROM feed ;-)

Happy Python'ing,
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 11:49:40 am by Mickeyl »
Cheers,

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer | Embedded Linux Freelancer | www.Vanille-Media.de
Consider donating, if you like the software I contribute to.

Mickeyl

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 06:32:14 pm »
Ok, judging from the amount of responses, I guess there is no need anymore for the SharpROM Python packages

...which is ok for me since that removes a bit of pure volunteer workload - I don't use them since years.

I'll shut down the feed next month.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 06:32:45 pm by Mickeyl »
Cheers,

lowen

• View Profile
    • http://www.lamarowen.net
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 12:40:11 am »
Ok, judging from the amount of responses, I guess there is no need anymore for the SharpROM Python packages

...which is ok for me since that removes a bit of pure volunteer workload - I don't use them since years.

I'll shut down the feed next month.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128242\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Well, I just found the feed today, in fact.  The tkinter package doesn't work; can't find _tkinter.  I have a need to have it working with Cacko on an Akita; OZ 3.5.4.1rc4 isn't quite there yet (I have two Akita's, one, which I use for my primary is running Cacko 1.23 using the KO/pi and KA/pi set; the other is for development and testing; both are from eBay sellers).  I would use the python stuff for some work we do at PARI (www.pari.edu) using what we call the PDP2 protocol; it would be marvelous to be able to carry the testing client with me on my Akita.

If you do decide to blow down the feed, what tools did you use to build it, and where could I find them to do it myself?  (As I maintained the PostgreSQL RPMset for Red Hat for five years, I'm not afraid on building myself).
2 SL-C1000's: Cacko 1.23 and OZ/Opie 3.5.4.1rc4
1 512MB SD
1 1GB SD
1 2GB SD (in the Cacko box)
2 Socket LP Ethernet CF cards (both work under Cacko and OZ)
1 Symbol Spectrum24 Wifi (works on Cacko, not on OZ)
1 Socket Bluetooth
1 256MB CF
1 320MB CF
1 1GB CF

1 SL-5500 with OZ 3.5.4 loaded on a 256MB SD

fpp

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 12:09:13 pm »
Hi mickeyl,

I can understand that the lack of response to your offer (and the work you have put behind it) can be disappointing.
However, I don't think it's due to your efforts being ignored or general disaffection for Python on the Zaurus in general (Sharp ROM or not :-). My feeling is that there are three factors at work here :

1) Python users are probably a minority in the Zaurus user base, and even in the Zaurus developer base, just like everywhere else unfortunately :-)

2) Those who do install Python on their Z are either regular users who just want the runtime for an interesting app they've found (like Treeline etc.), or coders who want to port some existing app, or create their own. In either case, for any serious work, it quickly becomes frustrating not to have a comprehensive, "all-in-one" Python distribution (ie the standard Python package enhanced with platform-specific packages like PyQt, PyGtk, Pygame etc.). There's always some import failing for which you need to fetch the relevant module, and sometimes it's hard to find (especially binary modules like datetime for example).

3) This "piecemeal" approach made a lot of sense for the first generations of very limited machines (like the "brick" series), where you could install only what was strictly needed. But nowadays I guess most clamshell users (from the 760 upwards) have loads of storage space, on flash or on disk. For these people the "python image" offered by Kopsis (50 megs writable, 10 megs read-only) is a very practical, no-hassle solution, so there's little incentive to do it any other way.

For the last few months I've also had a Nokia 770 to play with, and the fact that ready-made packages for Python, PyGtk, pyGame and PIL were available *before launch* was not innocent in that purchase decision...

Anyway, I wanted to also thank you and the other actors like Kopsis for keeping up the rap about our favourite language, and making it available on our favourite toys :-)

Best,
fp

terryleung

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 01:47:17 pm »
As a programmer , i think python is a nice language , it has all the advantages of other languages, and can make the development shorter
if possible , i really hope you can update it continuely
anyway, i appreciate for your good work

Mickeyl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 05:09:38 pm »
fpp, I see, that makes sense. I guess I should provide a coupe of metapackages and/or perhaps a huge ipk that contains a lot.
Cheers,

bam

• View Profile
    • http://thegrinder.ws
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 11:08:08 pm »
or perhaps a nice ex2 image? one with say every stable concevable module installed? hey after all I have a extra gig im not using....
SL-C3100 current: Stock/Tetsu 18h
Socket BT CF Card
Linksys WCF-12 802.11b/Cheapie USB Ethernet

The Grinder

fpp

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 04:55:02 pm »
That's more or less what kopsis provided quite some time ago (at least for Sharp/Cacko ROMs, don't know if it works on others) : a 50-megs writable ext2 image, or a 10-meg read-only cramfs (or is it squashfs ?), with a lot of batteries included, mounted via loopback device by a script. All very easy and convenient.

bam

• View Profile
    • http://thegrinder.ws
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 02:30:01 am »
indeed this is what I use, but, there is one module so far that I cannot find, the pybluez module, someone here in the forum compiled it but alas I hav not been able to do so using Meanies gcc image.
SL-C3100 current: Stock/Tetsu 18h
Socket BT CF Card
Linksys WCF-12 802.11b/Cheapie USB Ethernet

The Grinder

sleepy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 07:43:04 am »
fpp, I see, that makes sense. I guess I should provide a coupe of metapackages and/or perhaps a huge ipk that contains a lot.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129345\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Thanks for continuing to provide these packages Mickey. I like your feed as it lets me install what I need to flash so that I can script without my SD card if I need to. Also, it looks like OZ 3.5.4.1 is looking good for Akita. Might have to try it whenI have time  

Sleepy

enodr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2006, 11:01:00 am »
I know this is quite an old thread, but I have been playing with cacko ROM for a few days and your Sharprom python feed is very usefull for me.  I have seen that you have moved it to linuxtogo, so that's a good point and I hope you will let it live here for a long time (I have googleing a lot and your feed seems to the only one where you can find python ipks for sharprom.)

The only thing that won't work is pyqt but looking at the OE recipe, it seems because it was built against libqpe / libqte versions that are older than the ones on sharprom. I'll try to have a look, because pyqt ipks are no longer available on the official site (but I found a working one here: http://dragos.com/zaurus/pyqt_3.8-1.0_arm.ipk)

Other info is that I have been playing a bit and managed to compile pyiw and it works on sharprom. (but I haven't managed to make a proper .bb recipe, just compiled by hand tweaking the Makefiles). I'll now try to make a simple Wireless connect assistant user interface.

Mickeyl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2006, 12:39:09 pm »
I'd be interested in the actual error w/ PyQt, since to my knowledge, Qtopia/Sharp is supposed to be a superset of Qtopia/TT.
Cheers,

enodr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2006, 01:12:19 pm »
I'd be interested in the actual error w/ PyQt, since to my knowledge, Qtopia/Sharp is supposed to be a superset of Qtopia/TT.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147273\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Code: [Select]
# python
Python 2.4.3 (#2, Apr 25 2006, 15:40:45)
[GCC 2.95.2 19991024 (release)] on linux2
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import qt
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "", line 1, in ?
ImportError: /home/QtPalmtop/lib/libqpe.so.1: undefined symbol: setIdentity__10QWSDisplayRC7QString

Edit: as the problem seems to be within the libqpe which was installed from the feed, I removed it. System is now frozen at reboot. I will format user partition to solve this, and find out what happens.

Edit2: I have tried again on a clean system, and installing only python-pyqt, python-core, python-sip and libpython  works. I guess this was the libqpe package that was messing with the system. Maybe you should just delete it from your feed to prevent such problems.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 02:48:34 pm by enodr »

cooldude26_in

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 09:03:51 am »
Mickeyl,

Is it possible to install python on a SD or CF card? If it is possible how do you do it.

Thanks.

freizugheit

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 01:18:28 pm »
cooldude26_in,

Kopsis has packaged a Python 2.4 Zaurus Image that can be stoed in SD or CF.

enodr,

PyQt is bundled with this package.