Author Topic: Pocketworkstation Basics  (Read 37705 times)

macwiz

• View Profile
    • http://www.macwiz.co.uk
Pocketworkstation Basics
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2007, 07:37:40 pm »
Hi

Here I am again wondering what to do with my Z. So much promise and really a bit of a non-event.

I have gone through sharp, OZ, pdaxrom, cacko, and recently pdaxqtrom, and annoyingly I have not found what I'm looking for.

I don't (better say this) want to undermine the multitude of hours spent by you coders pushing your various envelopes... It's great to be able to try new stuff. I have had fun trying things. But really at the end of the day the Z still doesn't do what we all know it can.

What I want; coz I know it can, and it would, if I could, but I cant:

1) PIM apps that work... alarms, wake from suspend, that APM thing, just like everybody else's PDA... why I left pdaxrom.

2) Fully fledged office apps, not crappy Hancom, OOO would be nice but Abiword + Gnumeric are great; but I need X11 for them, right?

3) Firefox so I can share bookmarks with my desktop. And so what I see on my Z is plausibly close to what I would see on my desktop.

4) Rox so I can navigate and change my filesystem via a GUI. Really ROX is brilliant. Again X11. Why is there still no OPIE/Sharp/OZ/Cacko (whatever) ROX?

5) Stuff that happens nice and quick (reflash back to Cacko after pdaxrom, and what a revelation).

Jeez. I have had my 860 for a couple of years now, and I still am not happy because it still doesn't do what I want. I think the above list is a pretty good benchmark for an (get this) non-programmer type user. Can someone tell me there is something out there that does this - er, out of the box? - without having to install X on top of Y on top of Z.

Sorry for the rant, and as I am a non programmer I am just an end-user. And I am sorry if your latest version of whatever does all the above and somehow I missed it - tell me - but hey ho despite the above I remain convinced that the Z is remarkable.

Best wishes
Macwiz
c860, never quite lived up to my expectations... my fault I guess
17in MacBook Pro lovely xxxx
iPhone 3G ummm
SE P990i with UIQ3. Never enough RAM.
Pocket Loox 720 used for designing ebooks. Just don't like it though!

macwiz: apple mac support in Oxfordshire
Twitter: @boffinboy

Meanie

• View Profile
    • http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/
Pocketworkstation Basics
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2007, 07:45:42 pm »
Hi

Here I am again wondering what to do with my Z. So much promise and really a bit of a non-event.

I have gone through sharp, OZ, pdaxrom, cacko, and recently pdaxqtrom, and annoyingly I have not found what I'm looking for.

I don't (better say this) want to undermine the multitude of hours spent by you coders pushing your various envelopes... It's great to be able to try new stuff. I have had fun trying things. But really at the end of the day the Z still doesn't do what we all know it can.

What I want; coz I know it can, and it would, if I could, but I cant:

1) PIM apps that work... alarms, wake from suspend, that APM thing, just like everybody else's PDA... why I left pdaxrom.

2) Fully fledged office apps, not crappy Hancom, OOO would be nice but Abiword + Gnumeric are great; but I need X11 for them, right?

3) Firefox so I can share bookmarks with my desktop. And so what I see on my Z is plausibly close to what I would see on my desktop.

4) Rox so I can navigate and change my filesystem via a GUI. Really ROX is brilliant. Again X11. Why is there still no OPIE/Sharp/OZ/Cacko (whatever) ROX?

5) Stuff that happens nice and quick (reflash back to Cacko after pdaxrom, and what a revelation).

Jeez. I have had my 860 for a couple of years now, and I still am not happy because it still doesn't do what I want. I think the above list is a pretty good benchmark for an (get this) non-programmer type user. Can someone tell me there is something out there that does this - er, out of the box? - without having to install X on top of Y on top of Z.

Sorry for the rant, and as I am a non programmer I am just an end-user. And I am sorry if your latest version of whatever does all the above and somehow I missed it - tell me - but hey ho despite the above I remain convinced that the Z is remarkable.

Best wishes
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154301\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

you need an iZaurus, ie the shiny white SL-C3000 running pdaXii13. it does everything you want ...
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~wyso/myZaurus - zBook3K

macwiz

• View Profile
Pocketworkstation Basics
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2007, 12:25:20 pm »
Meanie, if I had that Zaurus, what ROM would I be running on it?
Macwiz
iPhone 3G ummm

Meanie

• View Profile
    • http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/
Pocketworkstation Basics
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2007, 05:00:11 pm »
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154402\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

you wont be running a ROM but a distro which is pdaXii13
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~wyso/myZaurus - zBook3K

macwiz

• View Profile
Pocketworkstation Basics
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2007, 06:32:40 pm »
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154402\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

you wont be running a ROM but a distro which is pdaXii13
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154432\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

OK. Could you recommend a route for those of us not able to splash out on yet another gadget? My original point being that having tried a number of ROMs on my c860 I find that none of them fulfil my basic needs - as mentioned - which is a pity as the hardware is certainly capable of it.

BTW, the reason I am discussing this here is because of pleas above (from koen) asking for what folks are after, so my tupenny worth, and because it started with a c860. Think I probably need to refamiliarize myself with the whole thread, including some of your earlier contributions.

Thanks
Macwiz
iPhone 3G ummm