Author Topic: 3.5.4.1 On Borzoi Using Akita Packages  (Read 3833 times)

wsuetholz

• View Profile
3.5.4.1 On Borzoi Using Akita Packages
« on: August 09, 2006, 03:53:15 pm »
Hello,
  Thank you developers for all of your work on this distribution, however, before flaming me for doing this, please explain to me why you are treating the C3100 and C3200 like their poor relative the C3000?
Simply because they all have HD's and the C1000 doesn't?

Being that a Borzoi(C3100) is closer to an Akita(C1000) then the Spitz(C3000) as far as the Flash memory goes..  I thought it would be nice to not have all that memory going to waste (I know 128 Meg isn't all that much anymore :-).  So, I managed to kluge together an install using the kernel from the Akita install, and the root filesystem from the Spitz install, with some minor mods and handholding, everything is working ;-)

Current storage config is like this...  (free/alloc)

/ is /dev/mtdblock2 which is 10/32 meg (I thought that the default was 64?)
/usr is /dev/mtdblock3 which is around 30/90 meg
/home is /dev/hda1 which is 64/72 meg (I really thought I was partitioning it for 150)
/var is /dev/hda2 which is 16/20 meg
/var/tmp is a tmpfs
/media/hdd is /dev/hda3 which is the rest of the disk...

The reason why / has only 10meg free, is because I have both OPIE and GPE installed.  However, I had to remove Thunderbird and Firefox, because they take up > 20 meg in usr.

Because usr is it's own partition, I had to add some links to busybox in /bin, because altboot uses test, md5sum, ...  I also had to have the mountall.sh be the first thing done in the rcS.d directory, since the keymap program uses shared libraries that are in /usr/lib, and the bootsplash is stored in /usr/share.  I wouldn't have needed to do this, if I was brave enough to try mucking around with the Flash partitioning (NOT gonna do it!).  

The reason that the HD is partitioned the way it is (as if you couldn't guess), is that I first did a normal install as per instructions and I swear I told fdisk 150M for the hda1 size.  I probably wouldn't have pursued this except that 70meg was too small for / anyways, and since I was going to have to reload anyways, I thought I'd do it the way I wanted :-)

Thanks again developers for a great release..

Bill

C3100 running OZ/Opie/GPE

bam

• View Profile
    • http://thegrinder.ws
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 04:06:50 pm »
would be nice if a nand backup was provided, sans of course any personal data, then a nice tar of /hdd1 aka /home. that way an install on anouther 3100 can go quick and easy! I would host the files on my site if needed with proper credits to you of course.

oh, and btw, I think the install should have gone the way you did it anyways, makes sense to me.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 04:07:57 pm by bam »
SL-C3100 current: Stock/Tetsu 18h
Socket BT CF Card
Linksys WCF-12 802.11b/Cheapie USB Ethernet

The Grinder

wsuetholz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 02:20:54 am »
A better way would be if the mtdblock2 and mtdblock3 could be combined...  How could that be done?  Is there a risk of bricking the system?  In other words, if I screw up, should I still be able to get into the NAND restore function to put back a known good setup?  Pointers to URL's that describe the process would be acceptable here.

If I could do that, I could create one partition that was 121 meg and I wouldn't have to do the kludge with the extra symbolic links which is required because the usr tree isn't available in the early stages of the boot.

I'd still leave the HD partitions they way I described, although I noticed that the partitions seem to get unmounted and remounted as part of the boot process.

At this point I don't think the process is ready to be available for general consumption.  I'm re-examining the updater.sh scripts from the Akita and the Spitz installs to see about combining them in some way.  Don't really need to do the tar, since the root stuff is in a JFFS image file for Akita...  Is there a document for how that file is made?

Bill

bam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 02:39:34 am »
hmmm, pdaxrom has partition tools that might be able to accomplish this, you can select partition size during a flash upgrade process.

that would be awesome to get something like this working, have everything on flash except ~
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 02:42:53 am by bam »
Socket BT CF Card

The Grinder

koen

• View Profile
    • http://dominion.thruhere.net/koen/cms/
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 03:59:24 am »
Try this, much less hacky:

Code: [Select]
mount /dev/ /media/mountpoint; ipkg update; ipkg install task-bootstrap gpe-task-base gpe-task-settings gpe-task-pim gpe-task-apps xserver-kdrive-fbdev task-opie-base task-opie-base-applets task-opie-base-apps  task-opie-base-settings task-opie-base-pim  -o /media/mountpoint
Forums are not bugtrackers!!! Smart questions
Ångström release team
iPAQ h2210, iPAQ h5550, iPAQ hx4700, Zaurus SL-C700, Nokia 770, all running some form of GPE
My blog

adf

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 08:50:27 pm »
I'm curious about this.

A 3100 is inall respects a 1000 with an internal cf, right?

so why won't a straight forward 1000 install work?  system id stuff? It sure would be easier to flash then partition the hd, then edit fstab.  something like /home and /usr/local on the hd should be doable, shouldn't it?
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

**6000l  Tetsuized Sharprom, installed on internal flash only 1G sd, 2G cf

bam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 03:00:17 pm »
I would suppose so.
Socket BT CF Card

The Grinder

wsuetholz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 04:16:25 pm »
The main thing I'm trying to get around is the size of the default root partition in the "ROM" it's only 32 meg (32768 bytes), and home is  89 meg (91136) bytes.  I tried pdaXrom yesterday, and it did some dangerous things...  They rewrite the boot code, and repartition the flash memory to actually be 121 meg.  The last bit I'd like to know how to do :-).  I got stuck trying to get my SanDisk CF WiFi working in pdaXrom, but that's another story.

Long an short, How does the partition layout of the flash memory work anyways?  I think if I understood how to combine the standard root and home partitions into one root partition I would be all set.

Bill

wsuetholz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 04:20:15 pm »
Try this, much less hacky:

Code: [Select]
mount /dev/ /media/mountpoint; ipkg update; ipkg install task-bootstrap gpe-task-base gpe-task-settings gpe-task-pim gpe-task-apps xserver-kdrive-fbdev task-opie-base task-opie-base-applets task-opie-base-apps  task-opie-base-settings task-opie-base-pim  -o /media/mountpoint[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138042\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Koen, I don't understand how that is less or more hacky than what I'm doing? That would leave the standard boot still to /dev/hda1, and you would essentially have the same stuff in two places.  

I really have no desire to boot multiple OS's, however I like the ease and beauty of OPIE, and the ability to run X stuff quickly of GPE,  Can you run the OPIE like applications under the GPE env, like pdaXrom?  

I did install and run both, but I noticed that running both OPIE and GPE result in my needing swap.  

On a side note, I also noticed that suspend and resume are alot slower than under the Sharp/Trisoft rom.

Keep in mind that I'm a newbie to this, and while I have been reading the forums, I'm sure that you have things that you assume everybody knows that I probably don't know...

Bill

adf

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 08:26:34 pm »
The main thing I'm trying to get around is the size of the default root partition in the "ROM" it's only 32 meg (32768 bytes), and home is  89 meg (91136) bytes.  I tried pdaXrom yesterday, and it did some dangerous things...  They rewrite the boot code, and repartition the flash memory to actually be 121 meg.  The last bit I'd like to know how to do :-).  I got stuck trying to get my SanDisk CF WiFi working in pdaXrom, but that's another story.

Long an short, How does the partition layout of the flash memory work anyways?  I think if I understood how to combine the standard root and home partitions into one root partition I would be all set.

Bill
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138288\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
I'm back to thinking that using the pdaxrom 121meg partition and putting home on a (larger) hd partition as you first suggested is the most straightforward approach.

I wonder though if OZ will work right if you do this? It seemed flaky when I just flashed over a slightly modified partiton size in cacko. what do the 1000 guys do? altboot?
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

**6000l  Tetsuized Sharprom, installed on internal flash only 1G sd, 2G cf

wsuetholz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 01:27:08 am »
The Cacko release does indeed use the utilities to resize the flash partitioning..  They recommend a minimum of 32 meg for root.  Because of lack of source code for some of the drivers and things in the 2.4 kernel, it wouldn't be a very good idea to do a Cacko with a 2.6 kernel, right?

adf, the C1000 flash is the same as C3100 and C3200, don't you mean the C3000?

Koen, I tried the ipkg install with the -o, and it gave me errors indicating that the packages couldn't be found, when I removed the -o, it found them ok...  Besides which if the -o worked, I think from what I've been reading, that the ipkg-link wouldn't work properly for the task type installs, since it doesn't do dependencies (from what I infer).

Like I said, I'm fairly new to the Z, and I'm still trying to decide on the best ROM for my needs.  I like the look and feel of OPIE, but I need rdesktop and vnc..  I tried gpe, but there were issues with some of the configuration programs not saving the configs.  Mostly date/time, and wireless networking.

I also tried the latest pdaXrom, but, didn't like replacing the flash bootloader, and my CF Prism3 based wireless card refused to work, and I got no responses to my request for help.

What I wan't is a device that I can do ebook reading, web page browsing, multimedia playing/display both from on disk and streamed from a central server.  If I ever get my Pluto install working that is.  I also need to do IMAP mail, and remote desktop stuff.  So far, everything but the multimedia stuff has worked at some point, and konq defininately works better then the mini-web browser.

Bill

wsuetholz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 06:22:46 pm »
I've tried taking the nvram partitioning from either Cacko or pdaXrom and installing OZ on top, but OZ resets the partitioning back to the 32/89 split.

I presently don't have the facilities to compile a new kernel,  How do I get an OZ install with one big 121 meg partition?  The Cacko updater.sh has a tar file that it uses that contains utilities, and seems to be a fairly nice installation script, however, you can't use the zImage.bin and initrd.bin from OZ with it, I've tried.

Bill